Qmadix Liquid Glass - Get Naked

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don’t plan on dropping my phone. I don’t plan on scratching it with keys, spilling a drink on it, sitting down on it when it rests angled between the seat and the back of a chair. I don’t plan on breaking my phone or giving it ugly scars.

None of us do.

But we all know accidents happen and that quite often. If not to us, then to someone we know.

We also love our phones (most of us, anyway). We spend significant amounts to purchase them. We spend money after the fact for cases, screen protectors, accessories of every shape and purpose. We use our phones, dote on them, cherish them, obsess over them… Depend on them.

My motto has long been, “Phones are like people: they should never leave the house naked, it’s just asking for trouble.”

I may be rethinking that…

One of the things most of us love about our phone is the look of it. Time and again I hear that design is a top priority when choosing a cell phone. Then we shove it in a case, put on a screen protector of some sort and completely change the look and feel of the device, right? It’s a counter-intuitive step, but viewed as necessary to protect your investment. I know I’ve done it over and over with each new device. Some phones get more than one case as we search for the best fit, feel and most importantly the best look.

But what if you could go “naked” with your phone and still have it protected? Isn’t that ideal? To show off the design of the phone I often favor clear cases anyway. But even slim cases add bulk and even crystal clear cases change the whole look of the phone…

I’ve tried full body skins before and even the best of them alters the look of the phone slightly. They are also a bit fussy to apply, everything has to align just right and there are often gaps anyway. The feel is usually tacky as well, at least for the clear style body skins I’ve tried. They might peel on the edges and corners, leaving your beautiful device looking worn and tired.

It’s 2017, Phones are Big and Beautiful

Quite recently I got my hands on an Alcatel Idol 4S Windows. It’s a beautiful phone, camera wart and all. Sensually curved edges to the glass front and back, shapely metal frame with a tastefully understated gold tone to it. Idol 4S is a thin and elegant design and I’m very happy with the look of the phone.

Alcatel_Idol_4S_Windows.jpg

The 4S came to me gently used and in immaculate condition. The seller also included a clear Incipio case and I quickly added a Tempered Glass screen protector as is my habit. The device is not small despite how thin it is. It’s a robust 5.5” screen with fairly large top and bottom bezels. Add a case and you know the thing is in your pocket. The Incipio adds a lot of bulk. The TG protector covers well, but also interrupts the sensual flow of the native glass…

WP_20170204_12_31_54_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_12_33_04_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_12_35_10_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_12_35_46_Pro.jpg

Enter Qmadix Invisible First Defense Liquid Glass

What if there was a way to add 9H hardness to your phone without any bulk? What if it was stronger than naked, but just as bare looking?

This is exactly the claim Qmadix makes for their IFD Liquid Glass product: a scratch resistant 9H hardness nano-tech coating that is anti-bacterial, undetectable, bubble free and easy to apply. It fits any device up to a 10” screen and offers a $100 screen replacement guarantee if you register your device within 30 days on the Qmadix website. Cue their video…

WP_20170204_12_38_51_Pro.jpg

I decided to take the plunge and go all in. I removed my Incipio case, peeled off the Tempered Glass screen protector and immediately suffered a bout of anxiety. I used the included cleaning wipe to prep my Idol 4S. This part actually relaxed me as I caressed the phone and felt those stylishly curved glass edges. My eyes took in every detail of the phone, the glass, the gold frame, the dual speaker ports front and rear, the 21MP camera hump. It reminded me just why I’m trying this. A gorgeous machine that I want to show off… After the cleansing wipe, I dried the Idol 4S with the included microfiber cloth.

I then opened the Liquid Glass applicator pouch. There was a wipe inside that was satisfyingly saturated with solution. I wiped down the Alcatel all over. I could see the Liquid Glass coating the phone as I worked, making sure to coat the curved edges, the front and back, the frame, the camera lens and the sub frame around it. This stage was reassuring as I could definitely tell there was a lot of the product to go around and I could see for myself how it was depositing on the device.

Wait 5 minutes and buff all over with the microfiber cloth. Wait 5 more minutes to start using the device. They state you should allow 48 hours for the Liquid Glass to cure and harden fully and that the application lasts for up to one year…

Immediate Impressions

Right away I’m impressed. My phone looks fantastic. The Liquid Glass is not quite invisible; you can’t actually “see” it though there is a visible effect. The phone looks lustrous. There is a definite sheen added that allows the device to catch and reflect the light better. It looks somehow cleaner, more highlighted, almost like an advertising glamour shot.

WP_20170204_13_09_58_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_13_10_21_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_13_10_41_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_13_11_31_Pro.jpgWP_20170204_13_11_55_Pro.jpg

The feel is fantastic. It is slick, but not slippery. When you move your finger across the screen there is a very pleasing glide and WordFlow on the keyboard is wonderful. No sticking, no stuttering, just pure motion as you intend. But the grip on the phone is still great. It doesn’t slide right out of your hand as easily as it might if it were truly “naked.” And fingerprints? What fingerprints? They just don’t seem to happen.

It’s such a pleasure holding the phone, interacting with the screen, pocketing the device, staring at it… It’s like a weird dream carrying such an expensive phone without a case or screen protector. Nobody pinch me, I don’t want to wake up.

48 Hours In

It’s very liberating carrying my phone around naked. I’m feeling oddly confident and not nervous like I expected to. I can tell from the feel, the sheen and the lack of fingerprints that the Liquid Glass is there. Subtle clues, but they lend reassurance. Maybe I’m a bit too confident? I place my phone in a precarious position just slightly more than two days after applying the Liquid Glass. The phone slides off the lip of the tub and I hear it clatter as it falls into the dry tub. Rather than trepidation though, I feel only curious. Not a scratch, no blemish. I smile and slide the phone into my pocket.

Fast Forward

It’s been five days. As confident as I’ve felt, I’ve also been delaying. But for you, readers, I squashed that nagging voice of reason and went ahead and did it.

Will I smash it with a hammer next? Douse it with water? Nope. You can. I’ll let you. I’m convinced that this Liquid Glass stuff works and works well. I have no issues treating my device as I normally would when it was in a case and had a screen protector on. I love my phone and that’s the main point. I can show it off, I can use it like a normal human being while doing so. I can revel in how it feels in my hand and how easily it slips into a pocket. I have no need or desire to pummel the phone to test the absolute limits of the IFD Liquid Glass.

They say it lasts a year, only time will tell. I didn’t want to wait that long to write this review, however. I’m convinced and when I feel that it is wearing off, I’ll likely get another application and reapply. After all, I love my phone. I want to protect it, but I also want to show it off. Now I can do both.

Who is this for?
  • At $39.99 it isn’t inexpensive. This is for people who spend a lot on cases and screen protectors anyway. Those who invest further in their device after the initial purchase should consider this product.
  • Those people who are enamored with the look of their phone benefit greatly.
  • There is a generous amount of solution provided so large screen tablets and phones with front and back glass are ideal candidates.
  • I think people who use ordinary caution with their devices every day should seriously consider Qmadix Invisible First Defense Liquid Glass.
  • Larger phones really benefit the most because they also suffer the most from adding bulk with a case.
Who should stay away?
  • People that seem to have accidents happen to their devices all the time should probably stick to more traditional methods of protection
  • People on a budget that can’t justify buying a new and expensive “case” for their phone every 8 – 12 months.
  • People who work in dirty and hazardous environments where they constanty expose their device to risk.
Me? I’m hooked. It’s an incredible feeling to walk out of the house with a “naked” phone and not worry about doing so. I feel a bit naughty, a bit risqué. And I like it. You very well might like it too. C’mon, get naked. You know you want to.

Check out Qmadix IFD Liquid Glass on Amazon

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Review] Qmadix Liquid Glass - Get Naked

A detailed and informative review. Thanks, Rumorednow!

I do wonder how the liquid glass would fare on a device that is older. Maybe one that has already lost it's oleophobic coating.

If you own a flagship device, and you value design over protection, this may very well be worth it the price tag.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I do wonder how the liquid glass would fare on a device that is older. Maybe one that has already lost it's oleophobic coating.

I saw a testimonial in a chat room (sorry, can't link it) where a user said it "did a good job hiding a hairline crack" on his device...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks! Good read. If this nano coating also helps with finger prints, I am in. I want to give it a whirl at some point. I am wondering how it affects sunlight readability, seeing you mention it reflects light more...

Also, is one package of Qmadix good for one use? After breaking the seal can it be stored for later use?

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! Good read. If this nano coating also helps with finger prints, I am in. I want to give it a whirl at some point. I am wondering how it affects sunlight readability, seeing you mention it reflects light more...

Also, is one package of Qmadix good for one use? After breaking the seal can it be stored for later use?

Great questions, thanks for asking them.

Sunlight. Readability seems basically the same. Remember, Idol 4S has an AMOLED panel without ClearBlack. It still acceptable, but not equal to (IMHO) IPS LCD + ClearBlack at start for sunlight readability. On brightest (with adaptability) I can view it well enough in full sun. The only difference after applying Liquid Glass is if I let the sun bounce directly off the screen and into my eyes. Then it is dazzling, to be sure...

One application is all you get. They didn't stint on the product, but I wouldn't try and save some for later. Obviously, exposure to air creates a rapid hardening and drying effect on the SiO[SUB]2[/SUB] so it likely would be fruitless to seal it back up. I honestly didn't attempt it.

About the anti-fingerprint properties: I continue to be astounded daily on how that works. Better than any oleophobic coating I've come across.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Great questions, thanks for asking them.

Sunlight. Readability seems basically the same. Remember, Idol 4S has an AMOLED panel without ClearBlack. It still acceptable, but not equal to (IMHO) IPS LCD + ClearBlack at start for sunlight readability. On brightest (with adaptability) I can view it well enough in full sun. The only difference after applying Liquid Glass is if I let the sun bounce directly off the screen and into my eyes. Then it is dazzling, to be sure...

One application is all you get. They didn't stint on the product, but I wouldn't try and save some for later. Obviously, exposure to air creates a rapid hardening and drying effect on the SiO[SUB]2[/SUB] so it likely would be fruitless to seal it back up. I honestly didn't attempt it.

About the anti-fingerprint properties: I continue to be astounded daily on how that works. Better than any oleophobic coating I've come across.

Awesome. I'm gonna order some. Kinda cool to have a double sided glass phone with W10M on it. Definitely a first and I want to experience that.

anon(9602380)

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site

Excellent review. So far this is working great on my son's phone. Screen had scratches and it actually hid some of them. Deep ones still show some, but not as bad. Great job.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

I never put my phone in a case or put a screen protector on it..........I know it seem inevitable I will break a phone sooner or later, I always have it in my front pants pocket (britches if your in certain areas of the world...) and my phones still look new. My kids on the other hand.......

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I am curious since it says it lasts up to year, if over time does the quality dull, or lose its sheen? Either way whether it is applied or not it will get basically the same treatment....I am just wondering how it degrades itself to not be as effective after a year and if that has some kind of after effect we should know about. Could it make it worse if you reapply a second time on top of a well used phone that had a coating done a year ago?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I am curious since it says it lasts up to year, if over time does the quality dull, or lose its sheen? Either way whether it is applied or not it will get basically the same treatment....I am just wondering how it degrades itself to not be as effective after a year and if that has some kind of after effect we should know about. Could it make it worse if you reapply a second time on top of a well used phone that had a coating done a year ago?

Sounds like questions for them on Amazon...

Those aren't answered in the FAQ: Invisible First-Defense Liquid Glass - Screen Protector

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Man, I cringed when I saw that knife blade on that phone. ha ha Really impressive product though. I think I'll be picking some up as well, based on this review. Thanks, RumoredNow.

And that really is a gorgeous phone. I had yet to see one up close like that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Forgot to mention how nice it is now to pop this phone in and out of the VR Headset without also popping it in and out of a case... :cool:

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

Applying the liquid glass was a snap! I like the results, although I also added the Stilgut case for the DTEK60 I found on Amazon.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Applied this today. I like it already and waiting to see how it performs while I am using it more and more. Thanks for posting about this product.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site

Makes sense that you wouldn't want to use it months after it is exposed to air, but is there enough to cover two phones during the same sitting (ie mine and my husbands)?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Makes sense that you wouldn't want to use it months after it is exposed to air, but is there enough to cover two phones during the same sitting (ie mine and my husbands)?

If you are doing the screens, absolutely there is enough for two. If you are doing the whole phone front and back, like the Idol 4S or a Galaxy S#, probably wouldn't stretch for two whole phones.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site

If you are doing the screens, absolutely there is enough for two. If you are doing the whole phone front and back, like the Idol 4S or a Galaxy S#, probably wouldn't stretch for two whole phones.

Now I just need to choose between the X3 or the Idol. If I go with the Idol I will definitely be trying this on both sides, so I guess hubby is on his own if that happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss