OFFICIAL Xbox One vs PS4 Thread!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so in this thread, I will state some key differences and similarities between the Xbox One and the PS4. I own both consoles, and like both, so I will be as unbiased as I can. If I missed anything, or made a mistake, let me know so I can edit it. So let's begin!

Pros of the Xbox One:
-TV integration
-Xbox One exclusives (Halo, Titanfall, Forza, etc)
-Powerful Kinect sensor
-Simple UI (even better with voice and Kinect)
-The AMAZING Microsoft servers (complete opposite of the Origin servers :p)
-Great cooling and fan system (kind of making the system bulky though, but meh)
-Vibration is certain areas of the controller is awesome

Cons of the Xbox One:
-Price tag too much for many
-People forced to have purchased the Kinect (for now, until Kinect-less bundle comes in June)
-Less Indie games
-Less powerful (DDR3)
-Kinect takes some GPU and RAM power that developers use for developing their games, causing the X1 version to be less powerful and/or pretty
-Still uses AA batteries, rechargeable sold seperately
-As fat as the system is, it still has a damn power brick

Pros of the PS4:
-$100 cheaper
-More powerful (GDDR5)
-Sleeker
-PS4 exclusives (Uncharted, Infamous, The Last of Us, Grand Tsurismo, God of War, etc)
-Easy UI
-Free games to PS+ members
-Comfortable and great controller (touchpad, sticks, etc)

Cons of the PS4:
-Fan is a bit loud
-No HDMI in
-No YouTube app
-Light bar can't be turned off (can be dimmed though)
-Battery life is short on the controller

Last edited:

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The use of AA batteries is a plus for me with the Xbox. I would much rather have a set of inexpensive eneloops on a wall charger for a quick battery swap when needed than have to tether the controller to something to charge it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The use of AA batteries is a plus for me with the Xbox. I would much rather have a set of inexpensive eneloops on a wall charger for a quick battery swap when needed than have to tether the controller to something to charge it.

True, but this is a pro and con to people, as many hate it. I did actually buy the Play and Charge kit for my Xbox One controller, and that is tethered to something to charge it, so...

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Very nice!! This is the best way let someone know what to choose, if he cannot buy both, in an unbiased way!! Still, I believe the first thing you must ask yourself before buying any of these consoles is what games do you want to play??

One thing I would add, even though I am not sure because I used none of these consoles, is that the Xbox One uses the Microsoft ecosystem and thus if you are into the Microsoft ecosystem (and since we are in a windows phone forum) then it is a win-win situation for you.

Is there something similar for Sony and the PS4?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Very nice!! This is the best way let someone know what to choose, if he cannot buy both, in an unbiased way!! Still, I believe the first thing you must ask yourself before buying any of these consoles is what games do you want to play??

One thing I would add, even though I am not sure because I used none of these consoles, is that the Xbox One uses the Microsoft ecosystem and thus if you are into the Microsoft ecosystem (and since we are in a windows phone forum) then it is a win-win situation for you.

Is there something similar for Sony and the PS4?

True! I'll look into it, see what I can add. :)

Sent from my Xbox One using Tapatalk

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to correct the initial post, the Kinect's problem isn't with RAM consumption. The problem is that it and the OS are taking up about 10% of the GPU, allegedly, which is a big deal with the resolution/frame rate issue. The RAM issues are related to having the slower DDR3, while the PS4 uses GDDR5.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to correct the initial post, the Kinect's problem isn't with RAM consumption. The problem is that it and the OS are taking up about 10% of the GPU, allegedly, which is a big deal with the resolution/frame rate issue. The RAM issues are related to having the slower DDR3, while the PS4 uses GDDR5.

Yup, my bad. Thanks.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

...And to further extend on this; it is no longer an issue as Microsoft have opened up that GPU headroom for devs. Also people aren't aware of the extra ESRAM that was made available to devs for certain GPU tasks. In short the Xbox One, when programmed correctly for, is about as powerful as the PS4 regardless of its DDR5 RAM. Couple that with excellent Azure cloud computing and in some cases the Xbox One surpasses the PS4 :) I'll find the link here shortly for the article describing what I just summarized.

Edit: Here is the link; http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
All in all, the X1vsPS4 situation ends up in a gridlock with the real difference being exclusive title preferences and of course, pricing. Money is always an extreme sway factor in purchase decisions. That ball is in Microsoft's court as they have an immense war chest in which to dip into for the purpose of price wars. This holiday season is going to be interesting in terms of market share shifts.

luiislp

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I own both consoles and I but I spend most of my gaming time on the xbox, I regret buying the ps4 this early in this generation and Im saving money to buy the wii u. However, I gonna be playing a lot street fighter on the ps4 bc I just simply love that game series. But I hate the fact that is exclusive for ps4 only bc I know there is many people who cant afford more than one console.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow this thread is pretty dead. I figured a this vs that thread would've blown up a bit more than this I mean this is WC/the internet and especially with something as hot as the console wars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3