Xbox One vs. PS4

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Here again, the media(well if its true then...) vilifying Microsoft for the Assasin's Creed Unity ResGate :D

The Xbox One-only demo (Assassin’s Creed Unity was also the first game to be shown at Microsoft’s Gamescom press conference in August) also suggests some sort of back room deal to keep it that way.

That’s something both companies are never likely to admit, even if it’s true, but with last year’s Assassin’s Creed IV Ubisoft did release a patch after launch to increase the PlayStation 4 version to 1080p.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
NPD numbers were released yesterday. This marks 9 straight months that the PS4 has outsold the Xbox One in the U.S.--a market where the 360 completely dominated the PS3. This is despite the fact that Xbox One saw several exclusives released (Dance Central Spotlight, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and Forza Horizon 2--all of them excellent games, by the way) and had a deal where you could buy a new Xbox One and get 2 free games out of it--including the massively popular but otherwise mediocre game, Destiny--along with either the pre-bundled Madden 15 non-Kinect SKUor the pre-bundled Forza 5 Kinect SKU. So, new consumers could get an Xbox One, Madden 15, and Destiny (or any other game) for $399--the same price as a new PS4 with zero games--and PS4 still outsold the Xbox One. This is mind-boggling to me. I don't get it, at all.

If the Xbox One doesn't outsell PS4 in October and November, with even more exclusive games launching (Sunset Overdrive and Fantasia in October, and Halo: Master Chief Collection in November) and even more amazing bundles (Sunset Overdrive bundle at $399, CoD bundle with 1TB hard drive at $499, or the 2-game Assassin's Creed bundle without Kinect at $399 or the 3-game Assassin's Creed bundle with Kinect at $499), then I've lost what little hope I have left in the gaming industry.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I am not really sure why it matters if Xbox one outsells ps4. I have an Xbox one and love it. If the Xbox one starts outselling ps4, what is going to change? Answer, nothing. It's not like Xbox one isn't selling at all.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I am not really sure why it matters if Xbox one outsells ps4. I have an Xbox one and love it. If the Xbox one starts outselling ps4, what is going to change? Answer, nothing. It's not like Xbox one isn't selling at all.

Numerous previous posts in this thread explain why it matters: the best-selling platform becomes the lead platform for development, meaning it gets more exclusive games and multiplatform games are better optimized for it. That's one big reason why.

Another reason why is that poor Xbox One sales will hurt industry innovation, particularly innovation with Kinect, and that would be unfortunate as 1. many people enjoy motion- and voice-controlled games, and 2. some people (e.g. disabled gamers) can only enjoy such games.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't really agree that the best selling platform automatically becomes the lead platform for development. I am sure there are many more factors than that. Such as the studios familiarity with the development tools for a given platform, along with that is the ease of development, and another is power of the console. Sure sales of the console is one of the factors but it is not like the ps4 is outselling Xbox one 10 to 1. Xbox one is still selling really well.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, the thing still holding xbox back is mainly it's inferior hardware to the ps4, and the clunky design (ik why they did that, but a tad thinner and lighter would be nice, and vertical position would be great).

But I like the xbox one exclusives better, xbox live is better, and the software is BY FAR superior!

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, the thing still holding xbox back is mainly it's inferior hardware to the ps4, and the clunky design (ik why they did that, but a tad thinner and lighter would be nice, and vertical position would be great).

But I like the xbox one exclusives better, xbox live is better, and the software is BY FAR superior!

The hardware is "larger" because of the Cooling System afaik, and afaik also the only inferior part is the GDDR3 ram.

imho 900p on 60/30fps is ok. e.g. Evil Within, I thought I saw gameplay videos on youtube where I thought to myself that the PS4 version looks great specially the water/rainfall in the beginning but overall it wasn't running as smooth as on the XB1.
*can't post the links for now...

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
^more of that on MisterXmedia...

Anyway I heard news that there were patches for Evil Within to fix the framerates. Haven't found the videos yet though...

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't really agree that the best selling platform automatically becomes the lead platform for development. I am sure there are many more factors than that. Such as the studios familiarity with the development tools for a given platform, along with that is the ease of development, and another is power of the console. Sure sales of the console is one of the factors but it is not like the ps4 is outselling Xbox one 10 to 1. Xbox one is still selling really well.
It certainly matters for mobile development. You would think that with how massive the presence of android is today that they would no longer be getting games after iOS does, but iOS is still the first to get developed for.

Ben_linux

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry in advance for my poor English.:sweaty:

I'm French and I wanted to share my point of view about this topic which I found really interesting . ( In our forums, war between consoles turn very quickly into insults and moderation ) :devil: . A lot of friends, and I think I can say, a lot of European are going / will go for the PS4, and I'll try to explain why.

I own both PS3 and X360. As a WP lover, and as a Microsoft and Sony Lover, I had no bad ideas about MS nor Sony. ( but I already had PSone and PS2 slim, PSP and Vita) . I began to buy the PS3, when I was obliged to : When Capcom released Street Fighter 4. I choosed the PS3 because a lot of friends had it, plus it has bluray support, which was pretty great back in 2008 at this price.
But, sadly my PS3 ( brand new), had a lot of problems, reboots, bugs. And worse, the Online was a total garbage. And you can't play a game like SF4 with a bad online mode, because it's frame perfect. So I decided to sell the PS3 and bought Xbox 360 . It was the pack with Forza and Alan Wake. It really blown my mind :This 2 games were really good, plus the SF4 for 360 was like the Arcade version : Lag free. Okay I needed to pay for playing online, but at least It was a good online.
Then, I re-bought a ps3 in occasions months ago because I really wanted to play the Uncharted trilogy, god of war, and last of us. Now I still have both, and I use my PS3 as a netlfix / bluray player, and the 360 for Ultra street 4.

I told you that just to say that I was NOT in favor of Sony, nor Microsoft. In fact, I play much more on the 360 so in my mind I would have go for the excellent Xbox One first. But they did a lot of mistakes. Here they are :

- They did a really bad marketing in their conference. Ok Sony's one was not that great, but still better than the online conference that I see in middle of the night here in France from MS, and I nearly felt asleep because It was really boring.

- Sony's marketing was really effective : Unlike the PS3, they focuses on telling customers that it was: 100eur cheaper than the One, yet more powerfull. AND, cherry on the cake, It will be really easy to make games on it thanks to its PC architecture, so they won't have troubles like they had with the PS3 cell's engine.

- A really bad thing here : Microsoft stopped the development of games for the 360 : Actually there is NO games at all ( I mean, AAA games, or big licenses) for the X360. They basically just are saying : The One is the new console, so buy it and stop playing 360. It shows that they don't care about the actual customers of the 360. Meanwhile, Sony is still providing great games like The Last Of Us, which really proves they support their machines as long as they can.

- MS did some legendary bad communications, like this one :
"No internet for Xbox One? Get an Xbox 360 then, says Microsoft." Here we really thought ( well, we are still thinking) they make fun of us.

- They shouldn't have stop their vision : Yes the One was more expensive than ps4, but at least they have a vision and the envy to push a big thing with the implementation of Kinect into our rooms. They just stopped that, and I think this is an error because even if it's 100eur expensiver ( can I say that ? lol) than the ps4, If they have successfully prove that It can bring really new game experiences, peoples will be OK to put 500 € in the One. It was their better, bigger bet, and they just cancel it.

- They have no luck, because the launch of their gaming system was in the same period of the storys with the NSA, and as you know the One still need to "hear" what you say to turn on your console. Here in Europe, everybody was like " Hey I don't want the NSA hear all my conversations" . A day I was in a friend's house who bought the One day one, and he even had put a thsirt on the kinect's camera. I asked why, he said " You know, I don't want everyone see me..."

- Here in Europe, the vocal recognition is just crap. We were 2m away from the kinect, and we wanted to navigate inside the menu, and it was the hell, because it don't understand us. But It probably works great in the US.

- A lot of PS4 games are going to be exclusive, in particular if you like fighting games : Guily gear, SF5, and they talk about Tekken 7. In Japan everyone says that Monster Hunter license is coming to an end very soon with Nintendo, and they just will work with Sony.

Well, I hope you had the brave to read my bad english . Just to tell you that here in Europe, we like the One as much as the PS4, but really, the communication from MS is **** here . And It lacks a vision in longterm they had when they first presented the One.

RZR666

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I've gone back to PlayStation as my main console of choice in this generation, there's no excuse for the XBox not to be hitting 1080p.

It's not just that though, Microsofts launch was a disaster with all the backtracking, even removing the Kinect I thought was a bad move because no those early adopters are stuck with something that's not going to be as well supported, had it been if everyone had one.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back to PlayStation as my main console of choice in this generation, there's no excuse for the XBox not to be hitting 1080p.

It's not just that though, Microsofts launch was a disaster with all the backtracking, even removing the Kinect I thought was a bad move because no those early adopters are stuck with something that's not going to be as well supported, had it been if everyone had one.
Lol

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, the NPD numbers for November showed that Xbox One finally outsold PS4 in the U.S. (in the UK as well), for the first time since December 2013. It took some aggressive price cuts ($50-70 off), aggressive games bundling (Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Dance Central Spotlight,, and some killer exclusives (Halo: The Master Chief Collection, mainly), but a win is a win. It is vexing that it took so long, considering Xbox One has had the stronger games lineup since launch, has received a slew of regular updates, has more apps and exclusive features, and even made Kinect valuable again with a flood of quality Kinect games this fall (Dance Central Spotlight, Dark Dreams Don't Die, Fantasia: Music Evolved, Just Dance 2015, Shape Up, Boom Ball Kinect, etc.). I hope this becomes a regular trend now.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, the NPD numbers for November showed that Xbox One finally outsold PS4 in the U.S. (in the UK as well), for the first time since December 2013. It took some aggressive price cuts ($50-70 off), aggressive games bundling (Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Dance Central Spotlight,, and some killer exclusives (Halo: The Master Chief Collection, mainly), but a win is a win. It is vexing that it took so long, considering Xbox One has had the stronger games lineup since launch, has received a slew of regular updates, has more apps and exclusive features, and even made Kinect valuable again with a flood of quality Kinect games this fall (Dance Central Spotlight, Dark Dreams Don't Die, Fantasia: Music Evolved, Just Dance 2015, Shape Up, Boom Ball Kinect, etc.). I hope this becomes a regular trend now.

Yeah, I think the outselling point is all about the Benjamins. If only they could have made the original One, with Kinect, for the same price as the PS4.

FWIW, a couple of my friends on PS4 wish they had some of the exclusive games that have been coming out on the One.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Look the way I look at the whole thing is if your looking for a media centre or want to use your console as a media device choose Xbox One

If you want to just solely play games and have minimal media connectivity I.e media sharing between PC or MAC. Then play the PS4.

Media + Games = Xbox One
Games + Minimal media = PS4

Sent using my Nokia Lumia 520 via the Windows Central app

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Look the way I look at the whole thing is if your looking for a media centre or want to use your console as a media device choose Xbox One

If you want to just solely play games and have minimal media connectivity I.e media sharing between PC or MAC. Then play the PS4.

Media + Games = Xbox One
Games + Minimal media = PS4

Sent using my Nokia Lumia 520 via the Windows Central app

I would have to disagree. I don't feel that the PS4 offers any more than (or IMHO even matches) the XB1 in terms of gaming. I can't think of a single PS4 game that interests me.

Of course this is just my opinion, and the beauty of the games market atm is both options are viable... that is until SONY shares fall due to another hack and the company goes bust... wait, hasn't that happened already... twice?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would have to disagree. I don't feel that the PS4 offers any more than (or IMHO even matches) the XB1 in terms of gaming. I can't think of a single PS4 game that interests me.

Of course this is just my opinion, and the beauty of the games market atm is both options are viable... that is until SONY shares fall due to another hack and the company goes bust... wait, hasn't that happened already... twice?

I didn't want to seem like I was on either side of the thing. I just wanted to have an impartial view. I am an Xbox 360 owner and I use it for media 70% of the time then the rest gaming. I mean the processing power of the PS4 is alot faster with L2 Cache memory but where its masters power it lacks in game titles and media connectivity. As I said above it all depends on what you want from your console. Its the same as buying a car assesse your needs and buy accordingly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb