Xbox One vs. PS4

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I got Xbox One on Day One because I thought it was the better system than the PS4. Seven months later, I believe that to be true even more: it's got more features, better games, a more ambitious OS, and better apps. Yet, the PS4 continues to trounce it in monthly sales. I'm a huge fan of the Kinect, but I get that some weren't and so, I was disappointed but eager when Microsoft announced the Kinect-free bundle as it would finally put the X1 on par with the PS4 in regards to price, which I assumed was the biggest factor influencing the sales discrepancy. Well, NPD numbers for June are out and the PS4 beat the Xbox One in U.S. sales for the 6th month in a row. I assumed that sales in June would explode for X1, but I would've been satisfied with it simply outselling the PS4. Neither of those things happened and now, for some reason, I feel really depressed and angry about it because I feel that Microsoft put forward the better product, supplied it with better games, content and features, and the global consumer doesn't care. If the Xbox One cannot outsell the PS4 in the U.S. in the month that it reached price parity, I'm feeling very pessimistic about the future. This may turn out to be a repeat of the 6th generation where the PS2 trounced the Xbox and GameCube. Microsoft made such huge gains in the 7th generation, with the X360 all be equaling the PS3, that it's depressing to think they may fall of the throne back to the dais.

I seriously hate the mass consumer: Xbox One is better than PS4. Windows Phone is better than Android. What the eff is wrong with these yahoos!?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I didn't read your post after the first few lines. You're upset because you love your product yet other things sell more? Dude.... Get a life and enjoy your products, regardless of market share.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, i feel the same as a windows phone user. I had my hands on Android (dad has one) and it was really bad (in terms of specs its low end) and even high end flagship phones have issue too. im not saying that the window's phone is perfect but to certain extent better.
-No internal space issue (android somehow has this annoying issue,even after moving the apps to an M.SD card)
-fast and fluid
-safer (less prone to virus/malware attacks)
-people would most likely not steal it (they want android so that they can sell if for a high price,thanks to demand)
-camera isnt ****ty even on the 520.
ect ect.

Like how android overtook the sale of Nokia (symbian) back then they surely took some time.
there probably was not much problems with symbian (other than being less appealing and the once in a while(if not always) lag,
but well people love new things so things slowly picked up for them and a slow and maybe painful death for Nokia.
I still support the idea that Nokia will never make android phones(that hope is now destroyed) thanks to the Nokia X family (it is plagued with issues that generally affect android and no support from google(we dont see eye to eye you see) and therefore no Google playstore.

Likewise i would assume that until Microsoft and Nokia (including the users) start doing something good that will make things better, we will still be going downhill. I currently believe that we are stabilizing,however the stats are still worrying.
We will (hopefully) eventually pick up the pace and get there. Once we get there we have to worry about maintaining that position.
We are in an era of fast paced change, an era of technology crazy (to the extent that Japs are giving up sex) according to a newspaper report.

i would say that users are so used to PS4 that they fear the change and computers rivaling them in gaming. Not sure if you have heard the phrase "kill your console buy a computer".

I cant say much as per the PS4 and Xbox as i only played on the PS1 & 2 (a long time ago)
but i do know that with a Windows phone we can connect to our Xbox.
so keep it together mate(no offense if you dont like me calling you that)

Regards.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I seriously hate the mass consumer: Xbox One is better than PS4. Windows Phone is better than Android. What the eff is wrong with these yahoos!?

Can't you keep your overly-dramatic posts to the "save Xbox on WP" stuff? Maybe if you stopped being a ****** who takes everything you like as a factually-superior product, you'd stop caring about sales numbers and what is cool.

Windows Phone isn't undoubtedly better than Android. If you're a med student, Windows Phone is a problem, because it sorely lacks apps my brother-in-law (who is finishing his third year in med school) uses for school. If you're an IT person, there are apps that are missing (my IT-employed friend has complained about a few apps, such as LogMeIn, which are missing). Even as someone who loves WP and has 0 interest in going back to Android, I am disappointed that Trillian is still missing, leaving me to use the inferior IM+ for fantasy sports, and I hate that Yahoo (or a decent third-party dev) won't give us a good fantasy sports app.

However, you know what? I don't care about how my Lumia 920 fits the needs of my brother-in-law or my friend, because I didn't get the phone for them. I'd rather have to manage my fantasy teams on my PC and have to use the browser for mobile use and use IM+ than go back to an inconsistent visual experience on Android, while also dealing with bloatware and having to use a Google account.

In that same vein, the One isn't absolutely better than the One. Not everyone cares about the Kinect, and I'd gladly trade mine for the $100 spent on it. It's got about a 60% success rate with turning on when I tell it to, and that's almost the entirety of my interaction with it (occasional game-switching occurs). At the same time, my One is a gaming-only machine. I care nothing for the entertainment stuff offered--I don't use Netflix, Hulu, Xbox Music, MLB.TV, or whatever else is there. In that sense, the PS4 is a superior machine, as it has a stronger GPU and significantly-faster memory, while also offering the ability to swap out the HDD internally.

However, I care more about the game selection and my online experiences with the One than the 1080p graphics on the PS4, as I don't have the eye for the extra pixels, and I use a 720p TV just fine. I don't care about either console's hardware, I care about the games, and the games are better with Microsoft--even if the hardware is inferior. Again, I don't miss anything but baseball, and I'd rather miss baseball than Halo, Forza, and the other exclusives on the One I want, along with not having the ability to play games with my Microsoft console-owning peers. I also don't care about sales numbers. The number of PS4 owners doesn't affect my level of enjoyment with the One, nor does it give me envy.

I ultimately don't care about either end of the console or mobile OS wars. I like what I like, and I know why. The only time I really bother making comments is when something I like has a meaningful issue, a person asks for information on the landscape (from my perspective) about the consoles or smartphones, to when these kinds of ridiculous ****** posts come up. No matter which side of the aisle they come from, these things annoy me.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Someone has to be number one :p I don't really care as long as Xbox One does well enough to remain relevant and still gets the games and support. Obviously I wouldn't mind if Xbox One was the cash magnet out of the two, but it's no big deal for me. I'm happy PS4 does well cos without it Sony wouldn't really have a single profitable division and would probably go under, which would be a big loss on many fronts.

I'm a ****** in some definition probably, but I won't hesitate to suggest someone to get a PS4 (or Androi/iPhone or iPad over MS products..) if it's obviously the more suitable option to them. For me Xbox One is the better console by a wide margin and while I wouldn't mind having a PS4 too for the few exclusives, Xbox One would very very likely remain the center of my living room out of the two.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Go elite and get a PC. Be a real gamer for once and not some ponce sat on his fat *** with a controller in hand talking to 13 year old kids playing Call of Duty 100

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow..... Unless these companies and their products are providing food on your table and a roof over your head, I think it's best to not take these things too personally. Cause chances are, they aren't losing sleep at night thinking about you

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Go elite and get a PC. Be a real gamer for once and not some ponce sat on his fat *** with a controller in hand talking to 13 year old kids playing Call of Duty 100. PC gaming is now in 4k definition.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Can't you keep your overly-dramatic posts to the "save Xbox on WP" stuff? Maybe if you stopped being a ****** who takes everything you like as a factually-superior product, you'd stop caring about sales numbers and what is cool.
Can't you keep your condescending posts to the article threads? No hyphen is needed between "factually" and "superior". See, I can be patronizing too.

As for the rest of your reply and the similar ones above, the reason I care, and why everyone else should care too, is because the platforms that thrive get the most content. You pointed out that WP isn't "better" than Android because Android has more med student apps. That has nothing to do with the features of the operating systems and everything to do with the fact that Android destroys WP in market share. Such is the same with the video gaming realm. If PS4 continues to rout Xbox One, they will have an enormous advantage in content and this will hurt my user experience. They'll get more games, they'll get better games, they'll get games first. People on WP who have lived with years of the app gap should understand this sentiment, not patronize it.

This is particularly true with Microsoft, who has no hesitation about killing off products prematurely, thus wasting all of the money and time its customers invested into their zombie platforms. This is also a big deal in the gaming realm too. At the Dreamcast's heyday, it launched in North America on 9/1999, released the best games in the industry for the next 1.5 years, and was then prematurely cut off because the PS2 was beating it in sales. Console dead.

So you condescendingly label this a "ridiculous ****** post", but it's not: there are real implications here to my own investments. On the light side, we're talking about a full-term console lifecycle where I get access to fewer games, games poorly ported, less content, and the like. On the heavy side, we're talking about a premature death of the console, which history shows us that Microsoft is not hesitant to do.

And it's not as simple as "don't be an early adopter, then. Should've waited to see and then gotten the more popular platform." I don't want to just be on the popular platform; I want to be on the better platform. I bought into WP because it innovated what I saw as a stale arena: mobile operating systems. I bought into Xbox One because it innovated another stale arena: vide game consoles. The features that WP employ and the features that X1 employ, those are the directions I want those industries to go. But without market share, they'll never go there. Instead, we'll be stuck with unambitious Playstation sequels for eternity that are nothing more than boring specification upgrades.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The Dreamcast failed largely because folks had lost faith in Sega over the Saturn fiasco. If the Xbox One fails, blame Microsoft and their bonehead decisions, not the consumers who spend their money on what they feel is the better product.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
This is an XBOX ONE vs PS4 thread. STAY ON TOPIC. The damn OP isn't mentioning anything about a damn PC so take your PC Master Race to a different thread please?

On Topic, I feel your pain but Microsoft isn't in a position to overtake, and most news stories (which just run headlines for hits) are making the PS4 seem like it's dominate spot when really the race is close. Open minded consumers are easily persuaded to what seems to be the winning console due to adoption rates. News stories are reporting a "BIG" adoption gap in favor of the PS4, therefore people are purchasing the PS4 due to the illusion. People want the console that everyone haves because consumers RARELY think about purchases, it's all about the good press. I know this from experience with people. In your comparison think of it like the people who buy an iPhone who DONT work in a office, use apps, or travel a lot. Basically they use it as a "Dumb" Smartphone instead of getting a cheaper (520), or more innovative alternative (WP8). They buy it because of mass adoption.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
There needs to be no "winner" with products. If you love your Xbox One, awesome! It's going to get the support it needs for its life. Enjoy what you have, and don't worry about anyone or anything else!

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The problem is you don't understand the difference between the core users of the Play Stations..

You don't realize that when both started out,the Play Stations were used for Home Theater and incorporated themselves nicely were as the Xbox didn't...

Do you think that all the millions of Play Station users are going to switch just because you want them too? Lol...lol...lol...that isn't happening regardless how much better you think it is...because for those who still use it like millions do...the Xbox fails on it's video output flaws with deinterlacing and judder,not to mention on regular DVD play back..The new PS4 isn't that much better..and steps down in this regard as compared to the PS3 too....both new boxes have issues with their streaming too from all reviews...

Actual game play is outstanding on both from what I have seen...so...if you are happy with your rig..enjoy it..and don't worry about what others have or which one sells more....that's just self defeating on your part...
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
the Xbox fails on it's video output flaws with deinterlacing and judder,not to mention on regular DVD play back..The new PS4 isn't that much better..and steps down in this regard as compared to the PS3 too....both new boxes have issues with their streaming too from all reviews...

I dont understand much about such tech words, but I've had no problems with anything you describe on the Xbox one

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not talking about global sales; I'm talking specifically about the U.S. market--Microsoft's home turf, where the Xbox 360 beat the PS3 quite handily but where the PS4 has outsold the Xbox One for all of 2014 thus far. If the Xbox One can't even win its home market, a market where Microsoft had a huge sales advantage over Sony in the previous generation, in the month of reaching price parity, that doesn't body well. I'm worried about it because this will affect the content I will get to play on the system, a problem that will exacerbate as time goes on, if the trend continues. Xbox One could become at risk of becoming like Windows Phone--lucky to get sloppy seconds from Android's app store. We've already seen Kinect lose support (Microsoft didn't even mention the word during their E3 conference!), Xbox Entertainment Studios get axed, etc. and the console is barely over a 1/2 year old.

And as Flagz pointed out, the bias of the press, with their enamor for the PS4, has likely been fueling sales discrepancies (and has been frustrating to read).

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Lets not forget that the original Xbox and the 360 were over taken on sales by playstation BUT the Xbox still got some cracking titles. Xbox one DOES have 1080p support (as mentioned at E3 a few weeks ago) but they haven't released any 1080p games yet. Which to be honest was the norm for the playstation 3. And lets be honest here..... Just because the sales have been beaten doesn't mean that Xbox one can't or won't over take the playstation sales. And if not then who cares? Who cares if playstation keeps out selling the Xbox one? As long as the Xbox one gets games till its end of life then that's all that matters. And no... I don't own a ps4 or an Xbox one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3