How to make Continuum work automatically

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I thought that when I switched my PC into tablet mode, stand mode, presentation mode or laptop mode Continuum would automatically switch to the touch interface? It seems to do this, but only whilst turned on? If I shut down in laptop mode though, then power on in tablet mode, it launches with desktop mode active? Same issue in reverse if I shut down in tablet mode and power on in laptop mode.

Where am I going wrong? Help!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
So many new threads in the forums. Somehow I missed this one (and a LOT of ones.)

When you go into Settings, then go to System, then Tablet mode, you will see a drop box of things to do "When I sign in". These items are:
  • Remember what I used last
  • Automatically switch to tablet mode
  • Go to the desktop

It appears there is no choice for, "Automatically detect what mode I am currently in and switch to that."

Unfortunately, that means we'll have to send feedback to Microsoft to get this option added, as far as I can tell.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It could be that they thought of it, and were having trouble with the OS figuring out the "initial state" on an OS boot.

While it may be easy enough for the OS to figure out it's current continuum state on a cold boot, it my not be so easy to figure it out when coming out of sleep mode. Why? Because the OS coming out of sleep doesn't necessarily realize it was off, and if the "trigger" of removing the keyboard happened while asleep or hibernating, then the OS would have missed the cue.

I still think this is something they can "check for on wake", just like I can plug in an external monitor, and it wakes properly to the external instead of the built-in on the laptop. Or speakers, etc.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, with the Yoga 2 in W8 it knew fine, and even in W10 the Yoga transition software can tell and so disable the keyboard appropriately. I know that's 3rd party software, but it can't be far different from a detachable keyboard like the Surface. Just saying it is possible, as clearly the signal is a fixed status indicator and not simply info sent on transition (or the Yoga software couldn't do it). This should not be a challenging addition.

This feels more like a balls-up than a work in progress to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers