How's the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter for Continuum?

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 and a Lumia 950 XL. Was considering buying a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, mostly for my Surface, but was wondering how Continuum worked with the adapter. Any thoughts?

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 and a Lumia 950 XL. Was considering buying a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, mostly for my Surface, but was wondering how Continuum worked with the adapter. Any thoughts?
I have it and works good with it's firmware updated, there's only a bit of lag (it's normal of Miracast anyway) but not that much. Compression it's good unless there's massive movement on screen like a racing game, and then there's the 30fps refresh rate, not a real bummer in general but your phone's screen will also work at 30fps.

I would recommend it, unless for gaming.

Of course it's better with a display dock.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not planning on using it for gaming, but might want to beam television or movies to my screen (from the surface that is, dont think will use my phone for that). Hows that working? Refreshrate enough for for example youtube? (not expecting 1080p/24fps 7.1 surround sound blu ray quality, just beaming film to the big screen is enough)

ZENITH601

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
The MS Wireless Adapter works fine with my 950XL. I was using previously an old PVT3000but the lag was terrible. With the Wireless Adapter I recently bought there's still lag but I would say quite usable in every app, except for fast-gaming.

ZENITH601

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I just tried streaming The Revenant Trailer through Edge (youtube website) while connected in Continuum; 1080p videos are little choppy through the Microsoft Wireless Adapter. At 720p runs fine albeit some with still some hiccups here and there.

For a comparison, everything run perfect when using the Continuum Dock (as I would expect given it's using HDMI connection).

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Not planning on using it for gaming, but might want to beam television or movies to my screen (from the surface that is, dont think will use my phone for that). Hows that working? Refreshrate enough for for example youtube? (not expecting 1080p/24fps 7.1 surround sound blu ray quality, just beaming film to the big screen is enough)

It's great for the most part, I use it for watching YouTube and movies from my 950 and a W10 tablet and it's good enough to use it even on a daily basis.

It's similar to watching a 1080p30 video from YouTube but slightly better.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I would go for it. I use a Wireless Display Adapter for my Surface Book, Surface Pro OG and Lumia 950XL. When I have one of my Surfaces paired I up I usually just leave Outlook / Excel / Word open on the external display since I don't mind the lag on those programs... I keep whatever is at the foreground on the Surface monitor.

As for the Display Adapter with Continuum, it gets the job done. Until tonight the only way I have used Continuum is wirelessy. Using HDMI and the wired display dock didn't yield significantly different results.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

If you haven't gotten one yet, check out the Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 Continuum Edition. It's basically a Miracast/WiDi dongle with a USB input for mouse and keyboard for true wireless Continuum support. I've had the original Mini2 for over a year and it's great!! One of the best purchases I've ever made.

mattdodwell

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Wireless adaptor to use to stream movies from my 950 to my tele just like I used to do with my iPhone, Chromecast and Google Play. All I can say that I want to throw my phone at the TV. My wireless adaptor is updated with the latest firmware and there is still lag on playback. I expect with modern tech if Apple and Google can do it with no lag, MS should be able to do it too.

I was so ready to get rid of mu aging iPad, and move to MS10 with my Lumia 950 and a Surface 3, but I just can't do it.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by mattdodwell
I bought the Wireless adaptor to use to stream movies from my 950 to my tele just like I used to do with my iPhone, Chromecast and Google Play. All I can say that I want to throw my phone at the TV. My wireless adaptor is updated with the latest firmware and there is still lag on playback. I expect with modern tech if Apple and Google can do it with no lag, MS should be able to do it too.

I was so ready to get rid of mu aging iPad, and move to MS10 with my Lumia 950 and a Surface 3, but I just can't do it.
It looks like the adaptor get interference on the WiFi around your place. You could reset the wireless display adaptor's radio frequency band by press the button on it for 10sec, then if should worked better. I can't really say for chrome or apple TV, since never own any of them, but for miracasting, this one is one of the best I have used and it works for android too if you wonder.
again, apple TV or chrome worked quite different compare to Miracast, later is a WiFi standard, you don't Need specific app to support it, while chrome or apple TV is not.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

What kind of lag are you getting? It's reasonable to expect a smidgen of latency, nothing more than 0.25 second though. I experience about 0.025 second of latency with my Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 from my W10 PC, Lumia 635 as well as my LG Volt (Kit Kat), and it's hardly even noticeable.

Now, Miracast is based on Intel WiDi, or WiFi Direct. The nice thing is you don't need an existing wireless network as a pass through. The connection is, as the name suggests, direct from your device to the Miracast dongle. Meanwhile, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick & Apple TV need to be connected through your existing home network via your wireless router. It stands to reason that one should expect more latency/lag with one of these setups.

Now, since your firmware is current, I would suggest you try moving the dongle around a bit for a more direct line-of-sight orientation. Or possibly the dongle is picking up excess "noise". If your MS piece came with an HDMI extension cable, use it. Like I said I have exactly zero issues with my Actiontec device. I wish you good luck.

Last edited:

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
What kind of lag are you getting? It's reasonable to expect a smidgen of latency, nothing more than 0.25 second though. I experience about 0.025 second of latency with my Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 from my W10 PC, Lumia 635 as well as my LG Volt (Kit Kat), and it's hardly even noticeable.

Now, Miracast is based on Intel WiDi, or WiFi Direct. The nice thing is you don't need an existing wireless network as a pass through. The connection is, as the name suggests, direct from your device to the Miracast dongle. Meanwhile, Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick & Apple TV need to be connected through your existing home network via your wireless router. It stands to reason that one should expect more latency/lag with one of these setups.

Now, since your firmware is current, I would suggest you try moving the dongle around a bit for a more direct line-of-sight orientation. Or possibly the dongle is picking up excess "noise". If your MS piece came with an HDMI extension cable, use it. Like I said I have exactly zero issues with my Actiontec device. I wish you good luck.

I'm thinking of going with a cord-cutting solution. Would you expect the MS adapter to have a lower latency for this reason than, say, the Roku Streaming Stick?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3