Finding A Good Use For Continuum

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 950 XL and since i purchased it when it came out i also got a free display dock. Now i am certainly not the business user that Microsoft is targeting for the use of Continuum for phones. My work does not require me to use the internet/computers at all. I have a desktop and a laptop at home as well as a surface pro 2. Right now my dock is sitting on my desk collecting dust and ive only used it twice just to see how it works and that was months ago.

I want to put this thing to use and actually find a good use for it. I was hoping some people on here could provide me with suggestions. Or maybe explain how you used Continuum with your 950/950XL on a daily/weekly basis. Most people probably have one free of charge if they own a 950XL so what are you doing with yours?

I was thinking maybe set up a monitor/keyboard/mouse on my desk and use it to type out text messages with ease when i am home. But soon text messaging (SMS) will come to PCs and be integrated so that functionality will be of no use when RS1 comes. Right now its just a pain to unhook my monitor from my main PC, take out the USB dongles from the PC for keyboard and mouse and plug everything in just to use continuum. But if i can find a solid, practical use for hooking up my phone to those components maybe i can permanently set up a station with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Right now i have a spare keyboard and mouse to use solely for Continuum but i would have to buy a monitor. Or possibly have a station set up downstairs so i can have PC access in the kitchen. As i said right now i have a full PC (windows 10 TH2) on my desktop upstairs in my room, next to that i have a laptop (windows 10 RS1 builds), and next to that i have a SP2 (windows 10 TH2). If i travel i always take my SP2 so there is no reason to carry around a keyboard/mouse and cables, and i wouldnt really have a use for it.

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I make custom teas, muffin and protein bar mixes, and basically an all-around kitchen mixologist. I love using my Continuum "station" (a 23" IPS monitor, slim keyboard, mouse) in my kitchen. I keep recipes in OneNote and stream music or radio in the background.

My big complaints are:
  1. No sound in background on Edge tabs, I really wish I could run a Youtube video in one tab, switch to OneNote to put another cup of flour in the bowl, or go to another tab to research something without losing my audio. Really annoying on top of it how any animated gif or muted auto-play video on Facebook or Twitter will also pause any audio.
  2. 5 minute max timeout setting. WTF? I can't finish a recipe before it shuts off. Really annoying. Even more, Spotify and Audible don't keep it from timing out and audio can't go over HDMI when the screen turns off. /sigh
  3. I have full Office yet can't use pivot tables in Excel, which is annoying because that's how I organize nutritional data

Anyway apart from those 3 things, Continuum is a huge leap ahead and I love it so much. I hope it improves each insider update. Would really love to gain some attention to my 3 issues with it.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I use it everyday for WORD /POWERPOINT on the go so I don't have to take my laptop or surface everywhere.
I basically replace it for lots of time when I just need to do light computer task . and when I do need to do something when on the go, Desktop remote app is the one I use , so I can still access files and tasks over the internet.
Last week the autoCAD app also support continuum, which when connect to a usb Wacom pad, I can edit draft just like I do on real PC now.
And for those who want to watch youtueb and access antoher task at the same time, you could casting the video to TV wirelessly thru DLNA or miracast (you can use Mytube app or similar app), while access the OneNote/Word or any task on the continuum screen wired connected to your Dock/phone. Actually I am replying this post while Casting youtube video to my TV wirelessly.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I use Groove to listen to locally stored music. I do not have a Groove music pass. I can use Rhapsody for that or heart radio.

Edit some photos I took on my 950XL. Photo collages, etc. I take lots of photos and saved them on ext hdd. I can edit photos all day long.

Facebook, browse web (slow, needs ad blockers desperately), tech blogs, Netflix via browser (the app currently does not support continuum). Office apps. News. Read comics and graphic novels. But mostly web browsing.

I recently showed Continuum to some coworkers, especially one who just purchased a Galaxy S7 Edge 3 days ago. He was impressed, but sticking with what they know.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My main use for Continuum is for quickly checking Twitter and such when I don't want to turn on the PC as a whole, or when the Wi-Fi is failing and I want to use my 4G data instead without tethering. I can see it being very useful though for general use when wanting a full-screen experience out and about too, say when visiting a friend, or using a hotel room TV.

My big complaints are:
  1. No sound in background on Edge tabs, I really wish I could run a Youtube video in one tab, switch to OneNote to put another cup of flour in the bowl, or go to another tab to research something without losing my audio.

Get MyTube. It has a setting which plays audio from videos in the background, and continues through whatever playlist it's on automatically. =)

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Got MyTube as a temporary sort of solution, but really they could work on this.

Also, relations have to improve between Microsoft and Google. It's basically forced me to associate less with "Google people"

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Got MyTube as a temporary sort of solution, but really they could work on this.

Also, relations have to improve between Microsoft and Google. It's basically forced me to associate less with "Google people"

Poke Google about that, they're the ones being poor sports about it. Microsoft played ball for quite a while before it became obvious that Google just wants to give Windows Phone users a hard time.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I can't see a use for Continuum...but as the world moves towards the cloud (gettin' kinda cloudy)... might prove more interesting?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
OP, if you don't want or use it... I might buy it from ya! For the right price :)

So I finally set up Continuum. This whole set up cost me a total of 139.98. The keyboard was 39.99$ at staples, it's a logitech bluetooth keyboard. And the monitor which was an excellent deal was $99.99, it's a Lenovo 23" 1920X1080 w/HDMI support. The monitor feels very high end compared to other crappy 17" or 19" 4X3 aspect ratio monitors i found at staples/best buy/walmart for around the same price. And all those monitors only had VGI or DVI out. So now i have a (almost) full desktop computer for around 140$.

The use i found for it is this...Leaving it downstairs in the kitchen to play music when eating/cooking/socializing. Also to use Youtube, check email, search google, etc basic computer functions without having to go upstairs to do it and without having to do it on a phone. Browsing the internet can be much nicer on a 23" monitor with full websites compared to browsing only the mobile version on a 5" screen. So i like it. Also it's there so i can type out text messages and write emails without having to do on my phone keyboard, makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Components:
Logitech K380 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard
Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse
Lenovo 23" Full HD 16X9 HDMI Monitor
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Microsoft Display Dock
Jawbone BIG JAMBOX
Smart Stand Smartphone Holder

Fully set up w/ speakers + wires
WP_20160326_21_59_41_Pro.jpg

Basic components (no wires)
WP_20160325_21_43_32_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
So I finally set up Continuum. This whole set up cost me a total of 139.98. The keyboard was 39.99$ at staples, it's a logitech bluetooth keyboard. And the monitor which was an excellent deal was $99.99, it's a Lenovo 23" 1920X1080 w/HDMI support. The monitor feels very high end compared to other crappy 17" or 19" 4X3 aspect ratio monitors i found at staples/best buy/walmart for around the same price. And all those monitors only had VGI or DVI out. So now i have a (almost) full desktop computer for around 140$.

The use i found for it is this...Leaving it downstairs in the kitchen to play music when eating/cooking/socializing. Also to use Youtube, check email, search google, etc basic computer functions without having to go upstairs to do it and without having to do it on a phone. Browsing the internet can be much nicer on a 23" monitor with full websites compared to browsing only the mobile version on a 5" screen. So i like it. Also it's there so i can type out text messages and write emails without having to do on my phone keyboard, makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Components:
Logitech K380 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Microsoft Display Dock
Jawbone BIG JAMBOX

Fully set up w/ speakers + wires
View attachment 124344

Basic components (no wires)
View attachment 124343

Very nice set up!

My setup:
32" Sharp TV (~$200)
Logitech K830 Bluetooth keyboard with touchpad built in and backlit (~$100)
Monster iSport Bluetooth sports earbuds (optional) (~$100)

The TV has built in speakers. Both video and audio are pushed via the HDMI from the 950XL through the dock. It also has stereo mini output to a speaker system also, which I use sometimes. The TV also amplifies the audio as well through the stereo mini out. Bonus.

The keyboard is quite nice and solid build. I love the 2-in-1 KB/Touchpad feature. I like the tactile full size keys. The touchpad is multi point gesture enabled (scroll, pinch,..etc). And no need for a mousepad. Media controls and special keys are a nice bonus. The backlighting is the best feature for low light visibility. Built in rechargeable battery, which I charge via the dock when needed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...3d162034cdc9edbc63fb7fbda17beae8o0&ajaxhist=0

The Bluetooth earbuds are what I'd use if I do not want to disturb others and just rock out.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...83339fb741600bbec65da61557f3a760o0&ajaxhist=0

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Getting my Lumia 950xl on sat, moving back from my 2 month old experiment with samsung s7 edge.
I will find out soon enough but would like to know if anyone else has tried this. I understand that Netflix app isn't enabled for Continuum but people can still launch edge on their continuum desktop and watch netflix movies. Edge on the phone itself isn't able to do this.
With that said, has anyone tried to stream hbogo.com? Or directv? or Comcast or any other cable website on their continuum desktop using edge?
I don't think these guys are running over themselves to create a uwp app with continuum so this would be an awesome work around.

If this is possible, it is a huge game changer. For example, get a TV for your car with an hdmi port, wireless display adapter and then you can stream netflix, or watch live tv using you cable provider's website all without getting a mobile hotspot or adding another line to your data plan.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
My setup got a bit of an upgrade.

Components:
Logitech K380 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard ---> Logitech K810 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Microsoft Display Dock
Jawbone BIG JAMBOX ---> Jawbone MINI JAMBOX

WP_20160504_21_38_41_Pro.jpg

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
shhhh dont tell them...it actually is set up to my PC. I got the Keurig UWP app running.

Not sure for kurig, but for my tassimo, I Theoretically CAN actually set up a barcode generated attached to the barcode scanner of tassimo to control the brew time and temperature

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To answer my question. If the site streams flash content, then it won't work.
HBOGO.com xfinity.com both use flash and they don't work. Bummer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)