Continuum: Wireless vs Wired

Andraz Podjaversek

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I am in a process of purchasing some accessories for Continuum. Since I wouldn't be happy to spend 80-100? for original Microsoft dock, I would like to know how does Continuum via miracast compare to a generic Continuum dock..

Miracast:
what I need to look out for to have bearable latency to be able to work on some documents ?
Is there any suggestions with what Miracast dongle brand and model to go for around 30??

Generic dock:
Is it better to get a generic dock and so which one ? I've read some reviews and the only decent one that is able to outpoot 1080p is 50?..
Or is it better to just cashout for the original ?

If someone could advise me what is the least problematic options without spending a fortune I would be really thankfull :amaze:

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I just recently receive an cheap USb-c to VGA/Power/USB-A adaptor from an order thru ebay for $20 , it worked, which I didn't even thought would. and I also have a USB-C to HDMI adaptor bought from bestbuy for $40, which also worked great. so Seems most generic USB-C would work, as long as it fits the specs:
Video out(HDMI/VGA/DisplayPort) as Displayport Alternate mode thru USB-C
Charging thru USB-C Power Delivery
and /or USB-C OTG
I prefer Wired , since it can charge and use usb thumb Drive, make it more a "PC" experience

decker5

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I have bought Actiontec Screenbeam Continuum edition from Microsoft store and I absolutely love it

it allows you to connect a USB device to the HDMI dongle. In my case I have used a universal Logitech receiver to connect both a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard (keyboard + touchpad) and a mouse

it's easy to set up, portable and you have no cables around

this is my short opinion about it --> http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...st-thing-i-have-seen-mobile-phones-years.html

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a wireless ability for w10m that works as well as airplay does. Sometimes id like to just turn phone on and stream a movie or something to the tv without running a cord 10-15 feet. Any ideas?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I prefer wired if given the choice. Zero lag. I chose the MS Dock for my 950XL. Audio is passed through HDMI or Display Port fyi. The MS USB-to-Ethernet adapter will work through its Display Dock. As well as XBOX 360/ONE wireless game controller via Bluetooth. Will it work with games? Your mileage may vary.

If you really want wireless connection from your phone, Miracast is best if your TV/Display has it. Otherwise, plunk down money for MS Wireless Display adapter. It's the best one I've used and works well.

FYI: the Apple USB-C dock does not work on the 950XL. Doubt it will work with anything other than Apple products.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have bought Actiontec Screenbeam Continuum edition from Microsoft store and I absolutely love it

it allows you to connect a USB device to the HDMI dongle. In my case I have used a universal Logitech receiver to connect both a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard (keyboard + touchpad) and a mouse

it's easy to set up, portable and you have no cables around

this is my short opinion about it --> http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...st-thing-i-have-seen-mobile-phones-years.html
I have the same exact setup. The Screenbeam Continuum Edition is the way to go. The improvements in latency over the previous version is day and night. My only beef with using the K400 is that I can't change the trackpad speed through keyboard settings as you would on a PC.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo