How powerful is this system?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Continuum? Eh, it won't be beating a standard Windows install anytime soon. Doesn't even have any split screen so far.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's enough for web browsing, media consumption like YouTube, videos from my NAS, and more... what are you expecting or looking for it to do? This website itself seems to be handling itself ok on continuum.

I'm really hoping the windowed mode continuum is coming in creators update. If that allows all apps to work on continuum but in Windowed mode, I think I can live with that and be quite happy for a little bit.

Yes being a 950xl owner from launch has been a tough ride but every major release, something new can be done with this phone, it can be annoying but still fun and I've learned to appreciate to process/progress. Hard to skip the feeling of wanting it all now, but it's there because desperately trying to leap frog everyone else and make Windows relevant again :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's also good for the MS Office software, PowerPoint, excel, etc... Word.

Personally I feel MS office is the least of the worries of continuum regarding performance. Works fine but keep in mind that it's a more stream lined for mobile office and not the full desktop office. I hear complaints about no macros in excel... Personally I don't have a use case for it but definitely some people do!

I use excel a lot especially for sharing among friends stuff like cost tracking of something, I have season tickets, I like to list out and and show what are available, what is taken, how much money was received for each game. Updating this on the fly is great.

Documents, easy... it's the media consumption part which I find might be more challenging because of the lesser availability of those kinds of apps and a reliance to edge browser. For those websites that are mobile optimized, I think it's a decent experience.... other heavy sites won't be that smooth an experience.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough, just thought I'd mention it because, at least to me, continuum is more for business types that are out and about in hotels... Personally, I've only used continuum once, and that was to check it out... There really isn't a use case for me to use it regularly at this time. Maybe one day when it is powerful enough to truly replace a notebook / Surface type of tablet. But, if I have to carry around the adaptor, a keyboard and mouse (assuming TV/monitor is available where I'd need it) I may as well just take my surface with me.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a huge user either, but use my sp3 and 950xl a lot. To avoid "text neck" I should really look to waste time differently, and recently getting a LG 4k OLED tv may help do that. Wow that TV makes things look great :) Have to save I wasn't really a huge fan of how reading on a TV looked on my old sharp lcd... the new one though I find very pleasing on the eyes.

I only just remembered and tried out my old logitech dinovo edge keyboard and that works! It's a great lap keyboard with touch disc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa