Cortana REQUIRES location

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
This is something I'm not too fond of but Cortana REQUIRES your location. If you don't have it on it defaults to some "improved form of the old tell me system. I understand location is an integral part of her services but you shouldn't have to have location on! She can be very helpful doing things that don't require location. (that new swipe keyboard is pretty cool!)

spizzlee

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I was kinda upset about this. Doesn't keeping location on drain the battery faster? Although I have heard from people that keep it on that it doesn't realty give a hit to the battery..idk :(

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I was kinda upset about this. Doesn't keeping location on drain the battery faster? Although I have heard from people that keep it on that it doesn't realty give a hit to the battery..idk :(

Location uses a little more power. I think the only reason they give out those "This app requires Location" warnings is because some people are paranoid that the Government will know where they are. LOL

Diego Arbito

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping after the Beta that location is not required to use Cortana. I understand that Cortana won't be able to do location based search, requests, etc. if location is not on but I think I'd prefer to have a Cortana that doesn't require location while I can still use the other functions and asks to turn on location when needed, rather than a required location based battery drainer Cortana. I'm fine with the government tracking me haha but I want my battery to last!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It would be cool if you could turn off location, but Cortana would get sassy about it when you asked her something that required location.

User: "Cortana. Remind me to pick up a Type Cover for my Surface when I get to Best Buy."
Cortana: "I would... but I have no idea where you are. SOMEONE doesn't trust me."

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Location uses a little more power. I think the only reason they give out those "This app requires Location" warnings is because some people are paranoid that the Government will know where they are. LOL

The NSA loves naive people like you, so do hackers! You sit there texting the red cross to help the so called natural disaster you see on TV not knowing your giving money to the same people who caused the storm! Cortana is cool but i don't need my home, my work, my favorite food places, my route to work, my friends house, my mothers house, my girlfriends house, the train route, my voice, my search history all sitting in the cloud somewhere one SSL slip up away from prying eyes. Especially in the cloud owned by companies that do business with the NSA! I'm not a conspiracy theorist or some hermit creep hiding in the basement with tin foil on my head. I ama a realist with a realistic view of the world today. Cortana has alot of functions that can be used without REQUIRING my location she can do 90% of those Bing search queries without requiring your location.

jimbow76

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
The NSA loves naive people like you, so do hackers! You sit there texting the red cross to help the so called natural disaster you see on TV not knowing your giving money to the same people who caused the storm! Cortana is cool but i don't need my home, my work, my favorite food places, my route to work, my friends house, my mothers house, my girlfriends house, the train route, my voice, my search history all sitting in the cloud somewhere one SSL slip up away from prying eyes. Especially in the cloud owned by companies that do business with the NSA! I'm not a conspiracy theorist or some hermit creep hiding in the basement with tin foil on my head. I ama a realist with a realistic view of the world today. Cortana has alot of functions that can be used without REQUIRING my location she can do 90% of those Bing search queries without requiring your location.

Says he's not a conspiracy nut, claims people can create storms. Lol

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Ignorance is bliss right?? Until its too late and you're wishing you would've known. In this day and age information and knowledge is where all the power resides. I choose to inform myself then make reasonable decisions based on common sense information. I'm no crackpot by any means just trying to share what I've learned during my short time on this earth, shrugs.. Your loss

Back to the topic: Why does Cortana need my location to set an alarm??, or to set a reminder based on that isn't based on location, why does she need my location to do an internet based search. I really don't understand the REQUIREMENT. I understand it'll help her with geo fencing and understanding our routine so she can better help, but what does she do that REQUIRES her to have your location all the time?

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
it would be cool if you could turn off location, but cortana would get sassy about it when you asked her something that required location.

User: "cortana. Remind me to pick up a type cover for my surface when i get to best buy."
cortana: "i would... But i have no idea where you are. someone doesn't trust me."

lol

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Oh you're good there cause it is not sitting on the cloud..only in your phone

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Oh you're good there cause it is not sitting on the cloud..only in your phone

This isn't entirely true. Go to Bing.com sign in, go to settings, then check personalize, it will then tell you 3 or 4 different times that your data is being uploaded to the cloud!

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Those of you who hate the location services because of the government or battery related issues make me laugh. The government doesn't care about you, you aren't that important, and location services barely uses extra battery

jimbow76

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Ignorance is bliss right?? Until its too late and you're wishing you would've known. In this day and age information and knowledge is where all the power resides. I choose to inform myself then make reasonable decisions based on common sense information. I'm no crackpot by any means just trying to share what I've learned during my short time on this earth, shrugs.. Your loss

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...piracy-theories-scientifically-unjustifiable/

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This isn't entirely true. Go to Bing.com sign in, go to settings, then check personalize, it will then tell you 3 or 4 different times that your data is being uploaded to the cloud!

ok. I went to bing.com>signed in>settings>there, I can't see personalize.I see this> GENERAL,WEB,NEWS and WORLDWIDE. And I see HISTORY which is the web history from computer and/or the phone.
the only thing personal is my location which I put there when I set up the computer and/or the weather app on the computer.
There is nothing of any info I put in the phone ( Cortana's note book ) that are showing.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Omg the Washington post released an article so it MUST be true... Wpcentral Isn't the place to have this conversation. I'm more concerned with Cortana. I get it, I was wrong, you guys are right. I'm a conspiracy nut, with tin foil on my head.. I still don't understand why Cortana NEEDS my location to set an alarm for me, or why it needs my location to set a generic reminder, or do a basic internet search. Does anybody know why my location I so important to Cortana basic existence?

slickxsparkie

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I think she flies in the sky, so when she needs to remind you or wake you up, she knows where you are. Internet search, so she can whisper it to your phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077