When does cortana say your name?

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I know MS is watching what we are saying to her (they said so at build) so hopefully if we ask cortana certain things enough, she'll give a reply instead of a bing search eventually.. I wonder how much of this is server side vs in the phone OS.. if they can add replies live on their end or if it requires a phone OS update.

TOC51

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Same here, there is a setting that tells Cortana to call you by name but I still have not heard her do that.

Graelock

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Ditto to the above...no success there. I too, got Destiny's Child as a search result...likewise, she also won't say the name of my wife, or other inner circle contacts...even, though, I tagged their nicknames as Dad, Mom, Wife, Brother, Sister etc. One thing is obvious, though...it WILL come. We need only at least wait for final release until some of these things are addressed. In the meantime, I hope she doesn't go rampant. LOL because she's definitely vulnerable to weirdness and instability right now :p

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I know MS is watching what we are saying to her (they said so at build) so hopefully if we ask cortana certain things enough, she'll give a reply instead of a bing search eventually.. I wonder how much of this is server side vs in the phone OS.. if they can add replies live on their end or if it requires a phone OS update.

I was reading a tweet that its serviced based. Someone was having problems with the natural language. Another suggested to reboot, but a MSFT employee, I believe, suggested he wait because they can fix it via its services. I'm assuming that they can almost do it instantly per se. If you have noticed, alot has improved since the initial release without updates.

hayyanhami

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've just asked her 'Who am I?' and she said my name and some more information about me ,but that was only one time!
n Now I'm killin' myself to hear my name!

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I tried what the last person said worked for them, asked "Who Am I?" but it didn't work. Does anyone else also have a delay between pushing the button and getting the tone to ask a question? :eck:

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried what the last person said worked for them, asked "Who Am I?" but it didn't work. Does anyone else also have a delay between pushing the button and getting the tone to ask a question? :eck:

I do. Sometimes its so bad I'll either exit out and sometimes it's so bad it's almost like it goes back to idle mode and I have to repeat myself.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

What phone are you on?

Check your settings. First you have to tell Cortana your name in the settings.

Click search button ---> Click hamburger icon top right of screen
---> Click Settings ---> Click My Name ---> enter your name ---> exit the app.

Now ask Crotana your Name, Who am I, Who's your daddy, what ever you call you self.

Works for me NL 925, Carrier T-Mobile.

Enjoy.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Cortana has my name listed and I'm still getting Bing search results when I ask my name I don't get it

Edit: I just noticed Cortana live tile doing different animations do I asked out my name and it did say my name more so I now have the update

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05