How do I get Cortana to read text messages aloud via Bluetooth?

Ralf Southard

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
re:

I've been trying to get Cortana to read my incoming messages to me, a nice hands-free feature. It works on my wife's phone but not on mine. We both have the HTC 8x, and I made all my settings match hers, yet still nothing's changed.:unhappy:

BTW: We both have the latest update for WP8.1

Last edited:

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

Having the same trouble here on my 920. Connecting to bluetooth and everything works like you'd expect except for cortana won't read my text messages even though I have the setting turned on to read them when connected to bluetooth & headset. It works when I set it to always on though.

Could it because the device I'm connected to says 'connected - speakers' not headphones or something? But still, it should work because it's bluetooth?! Very annoying, it's the main feature for connecting to bluetooth while driving!

cnjvh

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
re:

I had to make 2 settings changes to make mine work (found in Settings -> Notifications+Actions -> Messaging):

1. Check the "Show notification Banners" box
2. Set the Notification sound to default

If I change either of those things the messages won't get read out loud anymore.

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
How can I make my car read text messages aloud via Bluetooth?

I had an issue after hard reset and simply adding ADVANCED on my Bluetooth settings made my Bluetooth read aloud in my car work... Hope that can help a couple of you...

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

Do you mean to use the 'Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option? Think I tried that, but worth trying again then restarting I guess :confused:

hairychad

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
re:

Do you mean to use the 'Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option? Think I tried that, but worth trying again then restarting I guess :confused:
Yeah sorry that's the one :)
I got silence in music when a text came in until I set the option and now it works perfectly. No need to repair...
Although maybe it's worth it..
One thing to try is to ensure your screen doesn't time out during pairing as I only got music initially and no phone numbers etc because the others times out..
Keep tapping your screen 😊

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

I just noticed that when I make a phone call the option to use bluetooth isn't active either! So my car is just for the music (which is the main thing) but I can't use it for calls or texts! Anyone know if there's a way to make my phone think that the bluetooth connection is to headphones instead of just a speaker?? That's what seems to be the issue for me.

coolibop

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

Does anyone know if there is a way to have text messages read aloud without having to respond to Cortana? I ride a motorbike and I got the read only via weird headset working, but don't have a MIC for her to hear me...

Ralf Southard

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
re:

Thank you so very much ... This was JUST the problem. All is working great now. Anyone else having this issue? Definitely give this remedy a try.

IbisA

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

When I am listening to music on my Headset and a text message comes through, it interrupts my music and prompts me to read the text through my headset. The problem is that once it is done, the phone goes automatically back to playing my music, but on my phone's speakers and not through the headset I was using the whole time!?

My coworkers get blasted with my music throughout the day. I hope to find a resolution soon.

Chigaro

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
re:

Try turning off your Bluetooth. Seems like on the windows phone Bluetooth interferes with wifi calling on T-Mobile and it also stops speech. Perhaps many other things, but this is a known defect.

I was walking on a trail today and received a text message and my nokia 521 started the speech readout process. When I got home and my Bluetooth connected to a device, speech stopped working when I was testing via Google Voice messages.

Turned off Bluetooth, sent a couple of google voice and speech was back on.

By the way, if you have T-Mobile and need wifi calling because your signal stinks at home, T-Mobile will send you an in home cell booster....for free but you must return if you cancel the contract before 2 years. I'm on a month to month now and they still sent for free.

Good luck.

If anyone has a solution for speech with a connected Bluetooth device, but not a earphone, let me know.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 and the Nokia Purity Pro Bluetooth headphones and I was getting text messages read out to me prior to 8.1 but since 8.1 (dev preview, no Cyan) I get nothing, the message is just ignored completely as far as audible notifications are concerned. I've tried various combinations of the settings above but as yet have been unable to get it to work. I'll keep trying.

paulmooreparks

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 820 has had the same problem since updating to 8.1. No matter what setting I use in speech settings (always on, Bluetooth, etc.) the phone will not read text messages, either stand-alone or paired with Bluetooth in her car. She's getting pretty annoyed with it, and now that I'm trying to fix it, so am I.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
FWIW any time I get any update to my phone, I have had to delete the phone from the car AND the car from the phone's bluetooth connections and pair them again.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
In the Phone BT settings make sure you check the box : "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option"

Kevin Leefarr

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok, well that did not work.
Even when getting texts it would not play the notification until I got in the car.
May be I need to pair the phone again?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss