Cortana only showing Bing results

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I do get all location/people based reminders, and the occasional 'time to leave' reminder. For texting, I can dictate the message, but it was always get caught on 'send, add more, try again' prompt. Calling, i can get to the contact, but can never pick which number. Music just flat out doesnt work and I have tried all possible commands.

What makes this all very annoying is that if I turn off Cortana and use the old TellMe service, it all works.

Yes, everything you mentioned above works perfectly fine for me. Texting, calling, music commands, etc. It sucks they're using the "It is still beta" cop out when this has been working flawlessly for me for the past year. SMH, dunno how to get through to them really.

slotti

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. If I ask for directions, I get Bing results only instead of launching my navigation app right away. I have a feeling it is based on the last built for 8.1 for me. But I don't know how to reverse to the version before mine.

Daker3

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done any Windows 10 previews, but I think this started happening to me when 8.1 update 2 came out for my HTC One M8.

I can't get the weather or directions. But I can still do TellMe commands (music, call, text...) and other commands (how are you, who is, tell me a joke...) work as well.

Philip_17

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
This is happening to me on my 920 and I haven't installed Windows 10 on it yet. I'm on GDR2. I've tried everything and nothing works. The only thing left for me to do is a hard reset... This started 2 weeks ago.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Do NOT hard reset...it is a waste of time (unless you really need to). This is a server thing on Microsoft's end. BTW, how did you get GDR2. I see so many people with it but I have no clue how to get it on my Icon....

Batswalla

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
When you go to the MS Answers site, you will notice that you are not the only one and none of the solutions are solutions, just compromises or non-answers. I have pretty much given up for the time being, hopefully when the Beta tag is removed it will actually works as its supposed to.

Out of curiosity, do any of the music commands work for you? How about responding to text messages? I get the bing search for all music commands and can only make it half way through the text messages/calls (wont 'send' the message and will never hear me when I say which number to call - mobile/home/work).

Funny, anything related directly to the phone works for me. (ie text, music, app launching commands)

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Funny, anything related directly to the phone works for me. (ie text, music, app launching commands)

Some of the 'fun' stuff works for me, like 'whats up', 'whats the score of the ___ game?', 'tell me a joke' etc. But useful stuff like, 'open/play music', call/text does not.

I just tested the call feature again too:

'Call'
Who would you like to call?
'John Smith'
Which number - mobile or work?
'Work',
Mobile or work?
'Work'
Sorry, I didnt get that - mobile or work?
'Mobile'
Sorry, im not getting it.

The built in TellMe service can complete this, so its not an issue with the mics - its Cortana.

Philip_17

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Do NOT hard reset...it is a waste of time (unless you really need to). This is a server thing on Microsoft's end. BTW, how did you get GDR2. I see so many people with it but I have no clue how to get it on my Icon....

When I tried to upgrade to Windows 10, my 920 received the GDR2 update first. Then I decided not to install Windows 10 and just stay on GDR2. I just needed to do a hard reset, in order to avoid Windows 10 to automatically install.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I currently can't get questions involving "when does the ______ game start tonight?", I.e. Anything involving news and whatnot. But weather works. So idk what's going on. You would think if it's a server issue, that everyone would have the sane problem.

Batswalla

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
hmm, does everyone who have this problem have win10 installed on their PC? I'm trying to recall if this happened around the same time as that installation.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
hmm, does everyone who have this problem have win10 installed on their PC? I'm trying to recall if this happened around the same time as that installation.

I have Windows 10 on my laptop (which hasn't been turned on in a while) and I also have it on my Lumia 635. That was my original hypothesis was that it has to do with having Cortana on both Windows 10 (PC or phone or both) and our 8.1 devices (which involves the most recent updates). Prior to May 14 (the Windows 10 Mobile update), I was able to have Win10 on phone, laptop, and 8.1 on my Icon and Cortana still worked fine. This has led me to believe that the recent pushes they are making to Cortana for Win10 is effecting those who have Cortana running on 8.1/10 devices at the same time.

aphrophyre

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I just started seeing this happen too. It occurs across all devices. WP8.1, my Windows 8.1 and Bing.com

When I enter simple math equations like 2+2 I get a web search instant of the instant answer.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just started seeing this happen too. It occurs across all devices. WP8.1, my Windows 8.1 and Bing.com

When I enter simple math equations like 2+2 I get a web search instant of the instant answer.

I would start with the basics, such as soft reset. Then I would try the clearing of data (Cortana cloud and phone storage data) if soft resets don't help. If those things don't work, and you don't mind taking the plunge and restoring, a hard rest may work. Other than that, it is a server problem because many of us had the exact same problem, at the exact same time, and it started working again at the exact same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb