HTC 8x with Cortana ?

Laurentiu Paun

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm still hoping for Microsoft to enable Cortana in the UK so we can use. We still got hope.

This would most likely be the global solution, as all HTC 8x/s can use English (United Kingdom) as phone language...
If they do not want such a "large" country to have access to Cortana, then at least search for the smallest country in the list and enable Cortana for that "small" region, the issue is that English (United States) is not available at all :(

Laurentiu Paun

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
See my post No Cortana for HTC 8X/8S in Europe (maybe not only)??? .. there I have pasted the official reply from HTC :(

Why the hell should we take it up with Microsoft? Is it MSs fault they messed up? NO
Is it hTCs fault they did not include the language pack? YES
Should they be the ones to deliver a firmware update? ABSOLUTELY
I am quite angry, spent the day searching the web for any solutions today, even found one guy on Reddit claiming to have an hTC 8x bought in the United Arab Emirates and he posted about making it work:
DarthPlanet comments on Changing your region will NOT enable Cortana.

I do no know what to believe anymore...
/rant

Eral Ocal

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC 8X, with Turkish language settings. In settings there is USA language option but even if i change my language settings my phone still works in Turkish. I think there is a problem with win 8.1 Because before update i could changed my phone language (display and menu language) to English for enabling mobile bing setting. There was no problem changing language settings. After 8.1 developer update i could not enable bing mobile at first try and i don't why. Then i've tried everything again from start.
1 Change language to Eng USA (priority on top)
2. Change Region to USA
(i also installed eng keyboard and changed speaking settings to english)
Now i have mobile bing and qr scan. Phone is still in Turkish ( you can't delete Turkish language). English languages looks installed but with minor effects. For example calender is in english but menu and display is still in Turkish. And i still don't have cortana app on my htc 8x

KRS WP8_1

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that HTC app is useless now. Doesn't make much difference to me, but it's ****ty, cos its the build in manufacturer's app... and... it doesn't work with a new update.. wow.. that boosts my confidence on HTC :/ WTH!

agsalinas

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, can someone help me? I have an HTC 8x Unbranded i believe its a European unlocked device. I looked for the number you were talking about in the back of the phone and it says CE0560. I downloaded yesterday the update for Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. It usually took about 6 hours in the update for GDR2 and GDR3 so I left it installing before i went to sleep. This morning I woke up very excited to use my brand new OS Updated and i was very happy when i saw those new icons on the top of the bar and when i unlocked it i saw the message that the update was succesfull. I couldnt be any more happy, so I started right away to explore and make new configurations such as Action Center and Start Screen Background. Finally i looked up for that feature we all have been waiting for: Cortana. I couldnt find it but I wasnt worrried as i read that I should do some configuration changes for the region and language and so I did. After making sure everything was right, I rebooted my Phone and surprisingly my phone didnt come up! After the HTC White Splash Screen i was hoping to see the usuarl Blue Windows Phone Screen but it just stuck in a Black one. I did power it down several times and did a soft reset with no success. Battery was almost charged as i left it all night plugged in. I tried connnecting it with a USB cable to my PC with no success. Im desperated!! Can someone help me please??? Appreciate!

axist

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I contacted HTC about the missing US English language as "phone language" option for our non-US devices. I found out two things from this:
1. The HTC support is rather incompetent
2. They're not going to help us

According to the support guy (whom I have nothing but confidence for and very little of that) only Microsoft can send out the updates needed for the phone.
So, it looks like we will have to wait (a month? three months? half a year?) for Cortana to be released to other regions. But I will attempt to hack the registry or something.
Hopefully I will brick the phone in the process of doing so which means I can buy a Nokia instead.

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I just have spoke to Polish HTC helpesk.
Is no way to have Cortana on HTC 8X/8S in Europe/outside US. "English (United States)" is not included in the ROM. I think is no trace of Cortane inside either. So is no sense to try. Thanks HTC. MS and HTC decision is just stupid. You few year behind Apple and Android and you should say "thank you" just because I have choose Windows Phone...

Last edited:

Asim Musaad

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm, no Cortana on 8X that was bought in Europe. All region and language options switched to US. UK still stays in Languages menu (in second place) - cannot be deleted. After restart no Cortana under apps and it cannot be turned on in settings. After 'hard reset' no option available for English (United States).

For anyone facing this problem,

we need to try.

Make English United States phone language available to download for HTC 8X and other phones that doesn't have it. As Cortana doesn't work!!? ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

I've gave away my maximum three voices here.

Added:
If you find anyone anywhere else asking about this problem please direct them to this link in order to get Microsoft's response to be faster about this, i believe it won't be hard for them to get this done as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
The only reason this is a problem is due to it being US only at this time. Why would we want that language on our devices if it wasn't for this restriction? It's frustrating and I was really looking forward to trying this out but lets be realistic. This isn't a problem we'd have if it weren't for the feature's restriction. Lets just hope they bring it to our countries quickly.

paulove

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I just have spoke to Polish HTC helpesk.
Is no way to have Cortana on HTC 8X/8S in Europe/outside US. "English (United States)" is not included in the ROM. I think is no trace of Cortane inside either. So is no sense to try. Thanks HTC. MS and HTC decision is just stupid. You few year behind Apple and Android and you should say "thank you" just because I have choose Windows Phone...

Cortana is in rom, I did see settings. After setting all I can to US English and searching with bing. But it said disabled because it is not supported in my region.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

wackykhaki

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just installed 8.1 on my AT&T HTC 8X (English-US). Cortana only works with text input. She cannot speak or hear anything I say. Double-checked all my settings. My speaker and volume works fine but Cortana cannot hear me or speak when I ask her pronounce my name. Any ideas?

itzdrk

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
This is where i have got to before giving up, doesn't seem like its gonna happen for a few months

ZTNAd3m.png

ccgvgAM.png

D8KML3p.png

f1yQifv.png

GaeDBYa.png

Even changed my clock to Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Meh

HitoTheKing

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Too bad I was so excited to try Corona but i'll have to wait. Other features work fine except reader mode when I use it the screen is white I may try it on other sites to check. Also I can't open the IE11 advanced settings. Anyone have the same problem? How can I fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium