Cortana WOLRWIDE RELEASE (HTC 8x 8s)

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft: make Cortana available, in english, to all phones, worldwide - not just to English US language phones.

Vote here: Cortana virtual assistant worldwide release - Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

My hTC 8x, from Rogers Canada (C625a), can't change the phone language to English US, because hTC did not provide the option in the ROM - no Cortana for me.

All non-US hTC phones are in this predicament: no Cortana.

We all know hTC won't do anything to solve the situation (not anytime soon anyway), and these hTC phones were considered flagship; it's ridiculous and lame they should be deprived of Cortana.

Microsoft, please fix this issue by making Cortana available worldwide, regardless of phone language.

VOTE!

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft: make Cortana available, in english, to all phones, worldwide - not just to English US language phones.

Vote here: Cortana virtual assistant worldwide release - Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

My hTC 8x, from Rogers Canada (C625a), can't change the phone language to English US, because hTC did not provide the option in the ROM - no Cortana for me.

All non-US hTC phones are in this predicament: no Cortana.

We all know hTC won't do anything to solve the situation (not anytime soon anyway), and these hTC phones were considered flagship; it's ridiculous and lame they should be deprived of Cortana.

Microsoft, please fix this issue by making Cortana available worldwide, regardless of phone language.

VOTE!

You act like a petulant little child this is being withheld their ice cream for an arbitrary reason. Ever think that MAYBE the US release is so that people can TEST it and put it through its paces and get feedback BEFORE releasing it world-wide? Look at all the issues people are reporting now. Do you really want to add to that? Do you want the headaches some of these people have now? Actually looking at the majority of the people with problems, it looks like HTC brand phones anyway. Do you want the same headaches? Clearly, there are lot's of issues when releasing these types of apps and OS's on a global scale. Why not relax, read the boards and see what issues people are having, educate yourself and prepare when it will be released and thereby reduce your frustrations WHEN it does get released?

No one is trying to screw you. No one is trying to shortchange you. This is a process. It takes time. Be patient.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
What headaches? Outside of no Cortana, I have zero problems so far on my HTC. Now if you owned an HTC you'd probably be crying too. What about those that want a fully working phone for app dev? Oh wait, we're screwed. So we shouldn't be mad. lol Love the holier than tho attitude.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
@jleebiker:
Woa, calm down there Nelly, with your all caps and all that anger... You sound like an angry pent-up self-righteous nerd.

There is no valid reason to withhold Cortana, in a developer preview release, based on phone language alone. I am a developer and I do want to try out the Cortana features; imho, I largely qualify as test candidate. We're not asking for a translated Cortana, just the same as everyone else.

Look at all the issues people are reporting now. Do you really want to add to that?
Wtf made you any kind of judge in this regard? If I find issues with this beta release, my contribution, contrary to yours right here and now, might actually benefit the WP community.

Btw, the developer preview *is* available worldwide, and Cortana is available to all who can switch their phone language to English-US, so there goes your limited test scope theory. That some select phones should not be granted access to some feature based on "English-US" only is absurd and completely arbitrary.

Anyways, "don't feed the trolls" - I won't be considering your replies since they bring nothing positive to the table.

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
@jleebiker:
Woa, calm down there Nelly, with your all caps and all that anger... You sound like an angry pent-up self-righteous nerd.

There is no valid reason to withhold Cortana, in a developer preview release, based on phone language alone. I am a developer and I do want to try out the Cortana features; imho, I largely qualify as test candidate. We're not asking for a translated Cortana, just the same as everyone else.

Wtf made you any kind of judge in this regard? If I find issues with this beta release, my contribution, contrary to yours right here and now, might actually benefit the WP community.

Btw, the developer preview *is* available worldwide, and Cortana is available to all who can switch their phone language to English-US, so there goes your limited test scope theory. That some select phones should not be granted access to some feature based on "English-US" only is absurd and completely arbitrary.

Anyways, "don't feed the trolls" - I won't be considering your replies since they bring nothing positive to the table.

Says the person that used CAPS, bold and underline.

Whatever...

TrueTrueFalseTrue

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I am just asking myself: why... what is reason to give Cortana to non-US Lumia Users and ignore HTC Users. The reaction is so obvious: people are pissed off.
Is Microsoft should not spoil any fan of Windows Phone? I waited for Cortana and I would glad to test it in english. I can not, because HTC / MS "know better"?

To make it clear: european and asian users of HTC 8X/8S may NOT turn on US language. They have NO CHANCE to test cortana. It's a differend ROM than US.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I am just asking myself: why... what is reason to give Cortana to non-US Lumia Users and ignore HTC Users. The reaction is so obvious: people are pissed off.
Is Microsoft should not spoil any fan of Windows Phone? I waited for Cortana and I would glad to test it in english. I can not, because HTC / MS "know better"?

To make it clear: european and asian users of HTC 8X/8S may NOT turn on US language. They have NO CHANCE to test cortana. It's a differend ROM than US.

Canadian HTC phones are in the same boat : no Cortana. All non-US HTC phones, afaik, are in the "no-Cortana-for-you" boat.

This situation is caused by both HTC for not including English-US in the ROM, and by Microsoft for making that a required setting to enable Cortana. Which will adress the issue first? Will they?

And the 8x/8s were flagship phones; meh, so much for that now. :eck:

I do hope Microsoft releases Cortana worlwide (in English only for now as it's beta). I can't see any valid reason not to do so...

CyberAngel_777

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
German
UK English
Indian English
US English
Spanish Spanish
Mexican Spanish
French
Italian
Japanese
Polish
Brazilian Portugese
Russian
Chinese Chinese
Hong King Chinese
Taiwanese Chinese

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
CyberAngel, your point is? Yes there is all those languages, however, on non-US HTC phones there is no way to set phone language to US English, therefore Cortana will never work until 8.1 is released in non-US language versions for these phones. Perhaps research before posting, eh? There's been tons of threads regarding the HTC problem.

Hooksie

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
CyberAngel, your point is? Yes there is all those languages, however, on non-US HTC phones there is no way to set phone language to US English, therefore Cortana will never work until 8.1 is released in non-US language versions for these phones. Perhaps research before posting, eh? There's been tons of threads regarding the HTC problem.

Despite the comments here I am able to select US English as the phone language, have all my region settings as US but it still didn't work.

Pretty poor but hardly Microsoft's fault. HTC need to step up and release an update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05