How to get the witty replies on Cortana without doing a hard reset

Dolfi

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
When I upgraded to windows phone 8.1 on my Lumia 925 I couldn't wait to try out Cortana, but I was kind of disappointed as it wasn't working well, it came only with bing searches.
But I figured out a solution for this without doing a hard reset as many of you are suggesting.I read it somewhere as a suggestion not sure exactly where but it did work for me so I thought to share this with you, hopefully it will turn out positive for all of us.

1. Turn of Cortana by going to settings->Swipe left to application->Cortana and turn it off.
2. Restart your phone (will ask for it automatically)
3. Then do a bing voice search as usually (The old one).
4. Now navigate to Cortana again and turn it on.

(Open Cortana from her own app in the first)

It should work now, try to make some question like:
Tell me a joke?
Do you have a sister?
Are you pretty?

You also be sure to be connected to wifi because it gets confused with data connection.
If there is any other suggestion please let us know on comments, and also let us know if this helped.

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This sorta helped. Asked if she had a sister and she said nope just me. But when I aske for a joke she says TELL ME ME to send a text message.
And I thought if you asked say for the square root of 250 she would tell you, but I still get a bing search. Actually, still getting a bing search for a lot of things. She's been very disappointing and not living up to my expectations.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
This sorta helped. Asked if she had a sister and she said nope just me. But when I aske for a joke she says TELL ME ME to send a text message.
And I thought if you asked say for the square root of 250 she would tell you, but I still get a bing search. Actually, still getting a bing search for a lot of things. She's been very disappointing and not living up to my expectations.

You have to remember that the service is in beta right now, and the experience could change from day-to-day as MS tweaks things on their end. Give it some time—she'll get better!

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone actually got her to say their name??? She never says mine, and even though she has my home and work added she still doesn't recognize them when asked

Dolfi

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
@TheJoester09 is right you should give some time as it's in beta version, waiting for improvements in the next release.

Durishin

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've done this and a hard reset. She'll tell me a joke but not say my name. "What is my name" and "What will you call me" both trigger Bing searches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire