Location reminders - That's how it worked for me (non-US)

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I had the problem with location reminders, that many of you have mentioned here. But when I do it this way it works:
-Go to Cortana
-Push the "Hamburger" -> remind me
-Push the "+" button -> enter a title (dosen't matter what) -> push "next"
- push "location" -> push "next" (so it searches for you current location)
-name the location (eg. "home")
-now it should work, also next time u use this found location (eg. "home") it should work like it is supposed to, by using speech recognition.

But what's the problem? When you search for locations manually, it finds the location, but something is going wrong. You can check the difference by going your locations.
When i search manually for a location, the saved location has only the name of the street. But when I do it the described way, it has also the city and postal code.
Hope this helps some of you.

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I guess the software takes the adress literaly. It doesn't add, let's say 10 meters around the area u have added, so for the reminders to work properly, u have to be in the exact spot on the map. (which is never the case, as the GPS takes +-2 or 3 meters error). Thus, there could be a conflict within Cortana, whether u have arrived on the spot, so it would consider that u havent still arived at your location, even if u did so..
I suppose presence of internet connectivity for Cortana to launch a reminder is an additional problem, or the software has some error or restriction in checking the present location outside of US..

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Good post, will try that at home. I just saw the difference in the places addresses as you described above.

Update: It now fired one reminder after i restarted my phone at home.

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If I already have these defined and if I get reminders when I arrive at these places, would it be a valid assumption that I have mine defined correctly? I just want to make sure Cortana can truly tell me when it is time to leave for the office or time to go home as some others are enjoying. Thanks!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It simply wont work for me, i defined the place as you described but when i come home nothing happens. When I ask her where i am she tells me the wrong street name (I live at a street corner and she thinks I am in the nearby street). When I open Here Maps its also showing the wrong street number.

Example

My Home is at Dummystreet 1 but both Maps and Here Maps showing my location with Dummystreet 2. When i ask Cortana where I am she tells me that i am at Teststreet (Street around the corner)

I assume this is a bug..too bad because I just want to praise the awesomeness of Cortana.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
What I did was to open the maps. Then I found my home on my own, meaning that I did not let the location settings to track my position which showed wrong position as you say, and made that location as a favourite. Last night I tested it and yes it did work! You need to take into account that it requires you to be in an open space to track you the best so that might be the reason why it shows you wrong positions on your map.

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you manually enter in your addresses and they don't match where Maps shows you, the reminders won't work. So, like you said, my "home" and "work" both are the wrong address - but they are where Maps shows me when I am home and at work. They should create an option where you can "correct" Maps with your address or business locations.

It doesn't seem like a Cortana bug but rather an accuracy issue with Maps.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Problem is that Maps shows me on slight a different position each time I open it. I know its kinda problem to be inside a building but than they need to add some kind of range around the place to match as was described some posts earlier. I give up trying this now because the location also differs from opening up Maps (Built in Maps not Here Maps) and Cortanas location when I ask her.

Another opinion could be to check the Wi-Fi i am connected to. Knowing of the limited range of Wi-Fi Cortana could match the location to be my home when I am connected to the Wi-Fi which I use at home.

Here is some picture of my location in Maps:

wp_ss_20140426_0002.jpg

Last edited:

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Cortana since release and defines Work and Home via address. For Home, it's BANG on. For Work, it's about 200yd off. The other night when I got home, Cortana asked if I was home. It had the SAME spot on the map. I said yes. She hasn't asked me for Work yet and I've been trying to get her to ask me where work is. I'm going to try this to see if it helps.
I get to work M-F within about 10 minutes every day. Leaving work can be +- 30min.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Like Talderon mentioned in the other thread, the best way to get the location based reminders to work is to add the places to your starred places list. It will then fire the reminders pretty accurately

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Like Talderon mentioned in the other thread, the best way to get the location based reminders to work is to add the places to your starred places list. It will then fire the reminders pretty accurately

Link to the thread? There have been more than a few and I tried searching for a definitive one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte