Poll for Mic Usage on Home PC's (data for Cortana usage on PC)

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in doing a poll to see if my experience is widely shared or if it is unusual.

While I have multiple home computers my main home computer is a desktop with a webcam/mic that I rarely use and do not have plugged in. Given my concerns about privacy issues around webcams/live mics (from way before the NSA issue, but certainly relevant to that), I am curious as to whether or not I will want to have a live mic for the purpose of running Cortana. I am curious as to what other people's setup and expectations are on this issue.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That is a good question.

I rarely use Cortana via voice on my Windows Phone, so I doubt if I'd use voice on desktop PC.

I'd probably use Cortana via typing on desktop PC, just like I do on Windows Phone.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for voting. The poll will be up for a month. I certainly hope people vote on the poll. The results will be there for anyone to look at. I cannot say that I will be doing a scientific analysis of the results, but with luck enough people will vote for us to get a general idea of the situation. Of course if Cortana ends up to be an excellent product and has a lot of buzz, then the situation can easily change.

I hope people take the time to vote on the poll.

There's kind of three sections:
1. desktop or laptop
2. the different permutations of having a mic and usage
3. intent to use

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
That is a good question.

I rarely use Cortana via voice on my Windows Phone, so I doubt if I'd use voice on desktop PC.

I'd probably use Cortana via typing on desktop PC, just like I do on Windows Phone.

Most of the time I use Cortana it is by voice, and she is decent at doing her voice recognition. Late at night I tend to type stuff in.

Personally I know that to some degree I contradict myself on this issue. Having a phone is like having an open mic with you all day long. I have a Xbox 360, and while at first I was kind of freaked out about having an open mic and camera in my living room I've gotten used to it. When I get an Xbox One that's even worse as the mic is open even when the console is "off". However I'll probably get used to that too and just HOPE that I am insignificant enough to where the NSA isn't looking and that such things haven't been hacked like the webcams on PC's have been.

Clearly though webcams on PC's are a security risk. I run antivirus programs and am security conscious so I probably shouldn't have to worry too much about it, however I normally just have it unplugged because I so rarely use it.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and if anyone thinks the poll is missing something important please tell me and if possible we can see if an ambassador can change it.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
This is my first poll and I'm certainly no pro so I probably could have worded it a bit better. I'd like to suggest that for the laptop users, even though there is no such thing as an "unplugged" mic on a laptop, I do suggest still voting in the second part (the different permutations of having a mic and usage) under the "plugged in" part of usage; occasional/often/always live.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So far 217 views and six entries into the poll results in an .0276 response ratio.

Come on people, it's not a long poll. I should take under five seconds to read it and vote.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is my first poll and I'm certainly no pro so I probably could have worded it a bit better. I'd like to suggest that for the laptop users, even though there is no such thing as an "unplugged" mic on a laptop, I do suggest still voting in the second part (the different permutations of having a mic and usage) under the "plugged in" part of usage; occasional/often/always live.
Many laptop users do place a piece of black tape over their webcams.

I've had two different laptops with webcams in the past 6 years, and I've never used the webcams other than to see if they worked on the first day I've used the laptops. I've never had a reason or desire to do video chatting. Even when I've used Skype, it's been voice only.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Keep on voting!!

I am a little surprised at how many people are using a laptop as their main computer. So far the intention to use Cortana (implied with voice input) is tied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes