Cortana Weather Icon understanding

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok all.

I have some preliminary answers for you on the Cortana Weather Icon and why most people only see it early in the morning or late at night.

Cortana relies on your interests list. When you have any number of items on there, they are Ranked for various things (like most recently updated and some other things I am not privy to say).

As the day goes on and life happens around the world and your the interests that you are following come to life and are updated, weather will tend to fall farther and farther down the ranking list as other items move up.

So, I hope this explains it somewhat and people will have a batter understanding of what goes on.

(will add to my blog)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is really useful!

Question: if Cortana has weather as an interest, will weather still show up as a higher priority throughout the day if there is severe weather in the forecast?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is really useful!

Question: if Cortana has weather as an interest, will weather still show up as a higher priority throughout the day if there is severe weather in the forecast?

In concept, yes, however, I live here in Washington, we really don't see severe weather that often, so if someone can keep an eye out during a tornado or something (yes, keep moving in the direction of safety when you are checking), that would be great! :D

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok all.

I have some preliminary answers for you on the Cortana Weather Icon and why most people only see it early in the morning or late at night.

Cortana relies on your interests list. When you have any number of items on there, they are Ranked for various things (like most recently updated and some other things I am not privy to say).

As the day goes on and life happens around the world and your the interests that you are following come to life and are updated, weather will tend to fall farther and farther down the ranking list as other items move up.

So, I hope this explains it somewhat and people will have a batter understanding of what goes on.

(will add to my blog)

Thanks for the info!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!

that makes perfect sense since in the morning you do want to see the weather but during the day there is a good chance that you are outside and seing what the weather is actually so we don't really need the live tile to show us the weather and instead it shows us relevant information that we follow and are interested in!

Thanks again! And can't wait to use Cortana here in Canada!!!!! 😉

Georgi Ivanov3

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Okay, but suppose your work day is related to travel (I believe many people's work is related to travel), so I suppose weather condition is more convenient to be placed higher in the ranking throughout the day. As I move from place to place, I want to know what the weather would be in the next 2-3 hours. I suppose when u leave a place, the most interesting thing for you is what the weather would be. On other hand, if you stay mostly on one place through the day, weather would be placed lower in the rank. Therefore, shouldn't weather feeds rank be related to your location and how often do u change it on daily basis? On that line, if Cortana learns that you move mostly Mon to Fri, the night before it should give you not the weather forecast at this current moment (you would not care what the weather is at 10pm after a day of work, when u stay home), but the following day.
That is one thing I am do not agree with some of Cortana's news feeds - they should also be based on location, but not merely informing you when u arrive somewhere, but predicting your behavior. If I have an assistant, I will make sure she knows my daily schedule and the probability I change my location (also based on historical location, thus Where would be my next location?), so she can inform me on the weather, news about my new place and what should I take into account over there. I think that is the key of making Cortana really useful - predicting you in terms of - Where would you go, What would you do there, What would be interesting for you - related to your new location etc.. I hope my opinion makes sense :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb