08-29-2016 10:56 AM
69 123
tools
    Why she never calls me by name? I set my name in there and also ticked box saying call me by name
    08-26-2014 10:52 AM
    Why she never calls me by name? I set my name in there and also ticked box saying call me by name
    What were you expecting?

She doesn't really use your name at the moment. The only instance I am aware of is when asking her "Who am i?"
    08-27-2014 03:06 AM
    What were you expecting?

She doesn't really use your name at the moment. The only instance I am aware of is when asking her "Who am i?"

I don't know what are you taking about

08-27-2014 03:13 AM
    Granted I forgot about the first of your screenshots. Although if you want to get picky that isn't technically calling you by your name, it's displaying it.

If you want her to speak it like I said in my post, and as your second screenshot confirms, that seems to be the only way it happens.
    08-27-2014 03:32 AM
    It's working now, thanks for the tip

It suddenly stopped working a week or two ago and since fixing it I've just realised it didn't have the British voice before
    09-01-2014 05:52 AM
    I'll give the tips in the first post a go when I get home. Have played with US and UK voice settings on my Aus 930 so a purge and start over can't hurt. Agree on hoping there's a choice after the beta to pick which voice we want, I'd much rather the US voice, but retain our spelling etc.
    09-02-2014 07:42 PM
    09-05-2014 04:36 AM
    I'm a native English speaker working and living in China. Who can neither read or speak Chinese.

When Cortana initially took residence in my nokia Lumia 1520 then WP DP 8.1 now Cyan, she was fully functional as any beta could be. She was quite chatty, would tell me a joke (In English) Provide Weather Information (In English both Text & Spoken).

We would enjoy a good laugh when I jokingly would call her Siri or inquired of her her thoughts about Siri. Oh they were happy fun filled days.

But something got broken our relationship

Cortana no longer knows my name, or tells jokes when called on. Typically being redirected a bing search results (in Chinese). Though she gives me the weather forecast spoken in English she displays the accompanying text with days of the week and any additional information in Chinese Simplified.

She obviously doesn't care for all my phone language settings being set English

As of now, only other audible response I will get from her other than the weather; It's when I call her Siri, I get a spoken reply in Chinese. Which a local Chinese friend translated for me (loosely) "Perhaps you've lost your mind, I'm Cortana".

Perhaps, I jokingly called he Siri one too many times? I swear I had no idea it offended here this way.

She obviously doesn't care for all my phone language settings being set English.

Is there anyway for me to repair this once fruitful relationship?

In a nutshell: I have no Chinese language written or spoken. Cortana no longer responds since she officially rolled out in China. Search results, etc.I'm growing tired of the assumption that because I'm in China, with net access from China, therefore I must be Chinese. Right?
    11-04-2014 02:18 AM
    Thanks for the info. It worked for me.
    11-04-2014 03:16 AM
    I tried using this method but its not working. Cortana still gives me Bing search instead of chit chatting with me. Help 😡
    12-19-2014 03:20 AM
    I had the same problem after switching from Cortana UK to US, she kept giving answers from web and not talked. Settings were done accordingly. I gave her two hours time then now she is back normal, this time in US accent.
    12-26-2014 10:08 PM
    cortana for Sri Lanka
    12-29-2014 05:52 AM
    I've tried this fix in exactly the way you stated and everything works except cortana. I've tried every solution in every forum I've come across for a year (wifi on, wifi off, block some cookies, allow all cookies, restarts galore, checking language settings, checking for proper software update...) short of a hard reset (which doesn't seem to work for anyone who has tried it) and nothing has worked. I can only voice prompt Cortana to read my texts and I cannot reply, no chit chat, no interests. She searches beautifully via text and all other voice prompt functions work properly for texting and search with cortana off. I would love to use Cortana, but I don't know what else to try.
    01-06-2015 09:43 AM
    L1020 CV Malaysia DP 8.1 Cyan update

Recently when greets Cortana "how are you today?" she just prompts me to Bing Search, why's that?
    01-07-2015 08:51 PM
    Hi

Wow take a couple of months away from here while settling into a new job and lots happens

@Danelle Simon
    One thing to check for that people miss. Is location turned on?

If this is off then she will refuse to work and you just get bing.
    01-08-2015 03:49 AM
    I have an issue thats really bugging me with Cortana.

I'm in China, have the developers preview and the Cortana beta. Since Cortana officially rolled out in China. Cortanan insists on ignoring my language settings and gives me search results, songs, jokes etc all in Chinese. Is there any way possible to get her to go with the language selected in the phone itself not region that I assume is based on IP address?
    03-26-2015 01:38 AM
    I'm on denim on 630ds.cortana (alpha india)does not read messages through wired headphone.any help plz?setting I have used are..
    Language-india English
    Region-India match phone language
    Speech-united kingdom english..
    After doing all process descibed on first page..I have deleted all the interest from local and from cloud to initiate a fresh start with cortana..but it only provides me web result.it does not react to me.any help please.
    Last edited by karan25i; 04-15-2015 at 01:36 AM.
    04-15-2015 01:13 AM
    Loved this freaking post. It so totally worked for my nokia 635. Thank you so much for posting this guide.
    01-11-2016 08:29 PM
    Thank you for posting this.
    08-29-2016 10:56 AM
69 123