What if Cortana says your too young?

W

WPCentral Question

cortana says im too young to use her,do i wait till im older?

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: what if cortana says ur too young

You have to be aged thirteen or more.

Being young, you probably wish you were older. When you're older, you'll probably wish you were young again. The first is inevitable, and the second impossible.

Enjoy young while it lasts.☺

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

you may be able to change your birthdate in the MS account settings online. there might be a lag time between changing the date and it registering. dont know if it'll work though.

telling him or her to just enjoy youth is not necessarily an excuse here IMHO.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Sorry can't resist it.

1 Lie

2 Tell her you are well built for your age and it's her loss

3 Move to the UK and you can practice abstinence like the rest of us, BECAUSE SHE STILL DON'T WORK OVER HERE.

Sorry I will get my coat......

Bob

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
you may be able to change your birthdate in the MS account settings online. there might be a lag time between changing the date and it registering. dont know if it'll work though.

telling him or her to just enjoy youth is not necessarily an excuse here IMHO.

Yes but the point is that there's nothing the OP can do. We all have to wait to reach qualifying ages when we're young. Falsifying the date of birth may well be counter to the Microsoft Terms & Conditions and is also bad advice to a young person, or indeed pretty much any person, as I'm sure you'd agree.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Falsifying the date of birth is probably counter to the Microsoft Terms & Conditions and is also bad aldvice to a young person, or indeed pretty much any person.

But it works, and in the big picture, it hardly matters.
Whats going to happen? Nothing. Zip. This is hardly falsifying an ID for the sake of obtaining alcohol.
I'm sure the internet would think a disproportionate amount of people are born on January 1st.
What about the privacy aspect of it too? I dont think its unheard of the birthday being used as some sort of low-level authentication somewhere IIRC

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Cortana isn't allowed to be used in the US because of the COPPA (Child Online Privacy and Protection Act). It specifically prohibits collecting identifying information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent, and even with parental consent, the information cannot be used for a number of purposes. Cortana, because of these restrictions, would be unable to function for a child under the age of 13.

It is a United States Federal offense for a company to knowingly allow a child under the age of 13 to participate in such a case, and it is also against federal law to lie about being 13 or older. The parent or guardian can actually be held responsible for it.

If Cortana says you are too young, it is because Cortana is programmed to follow the laws of the country it is being operated in. Wait until you grow up. It will be worth the wait.

Personally, my children will not be allowed to have a phone until they are at least 13 years old. I may plant a GPS tracker on them, but not allow a phone. :)

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

^^^Thanks for info.

My word, this is getting heavy...US law and possibly that of other countries. I propose we just stop there and wish the young OP well with Cortana on reaching that required age. Xands? Bobs?

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Thank how does google get away with it and apples seir they don't have accounts setup for kids by its the first thing my kid said to me is my friends use google and seri why can't we use that? and they have a phone but there is no sim so its like a ipod touch.

MontyE

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I checked my birthday setting in my Microsoft account. It is correct, and I'm more than 3x the age of 13. Reset it and saved it, to see what would happen. Cortana is still insisting I'm too young. First time I've been carded in decades!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I checked my birthday setting in my Microsoft account. It is correct, and I'm more than 3x the age of 13. Reset it and saved it, to see what would happen. Cortana is still insisting I'm too young. First time I've been carded in decades!

It may not be the age on your Microsoft Account. Perhaps it's a setting on your local computer with how that account is set up. Is it set up as a "family member?" If so, you may have limited access with certain things.

Stevie Gamer

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I know the Coppa thing now thanks but...
Whats with germany?
I live in germany and i have ALL my options on German and Germany
What do i do now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte