Cortana - change Fahrenheit to Celsius

Guido Magrin

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I am currently running Build 9226 (latest currently available) on my Surface Pro 3, and I can't figure out how to change the displayed temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius in Cortana.

I am Italian (to make Cortana work I had to set the country to "United States", obv) and this is a quite boring issue as of now :D

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Currently, Cortana is US English only, so no Celsius. Maybe if the rest of the world caught up with the US, you wouldn't have this problem.

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
In Windows Phone you just have to ask her:

Cortana, how is the weather in Rome?

Ah, bla bla bla ?F.

Cortana, convert it to celsius.

And there it is :)

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Currently, Cortana is US English only, so no Celsius. Maybe if the rest of the world caught up with the US, you wouldn't have this problem.

Someone please explain to me how Fahrenheit works. What does a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit represent? Maybe I'll get it if I know that?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Someone please explain to me how Fahrenheit works. What does a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit represent? Maybe I'll get it if I know that?

I don't remember what 0 is, but I remember that instead of 100 being boiling water (like Celsius), it was the core human body temperature. So, I guess it was for something medical?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember what 0 is, but I remember that instead of 100 being boiling water (like Celsius), it was the core human body temperature. So, I guess it was for something medical?

0 was the lowest temperature he could reproducibly cool brine.

Now, the fixed points of 32 and 212, representing waters freezing and boiling points are used to define the scale.

Fahrenheit is actually more precise in single degree increments than Celsius -- 180 degrees between freezing and boiling versus 100.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
When dealing with human anatomy, Fahrenheit makes more sense. There are more tick marks to determine temperature. Especially when dealing with parents of young children, it is easier for doctors to use the "100 Rule." In other words, if the temp is below 100, don't call. That is a lot easier than saying "as long as it is below 37.77778."

The Imperial system is designed to be easier to visualize. The foot the length of your foot. A yard the length of your belt. A cup is the size of, you guessed it, a cup. All of these are designed to be easier to visualize without the need for scientific tools. Kelvin and Celsius are always going to be easier in the lab setting. But moving something "a couple feet" is easier to see than "2/3rds a meter."

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When dealing with human anatomy, Fahrenheit makes more sense. There are more tick marks to determine temperature. Especially when dealing with parents of young children, it is easier for doctors to use the "100 Rule." In other words, if the temp is below 100, don't call. That is a lot easier than saying "as long as it is below 37.77778."

The Imperial system is designed to be easier to visualize. The foot the length of your foot. A yard the length of your belt. A cup is the size of, you guessed it, a cup. All of these are designed to be easier to visualize without the need for scientific tools. Kelvin and Celsius are always going to be easier in the lab setting. But moving something "a couple feet" is easier to see than "2/3rds a meter."

They use SI units in healthcare. I've seen the results when nurses took my temperature.

Actually ?C is an SI derived unit. The SI base unit for temperature is K (273.15 C).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Cortana knows Kelvin too.
7c7759506977ed9f6fcd18f73f55730c.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Actual we have to "blame" Napoleon Bonaparte about the Fahrenheit/Celsius.
He introduced the metric system in the places he "visited" but he did not "visit" England.

I guess if he knew what kind of problems this would cause he would have tried harder.:grincry:

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Actual we have to "blame" Napoleon Bonaparte about the Fahrenheit/Celsius.
He introduced the metric system in the places he "visited" but he did not "visit" England.

I guess if he knew what kind of problems this would cause he would have tried harder.:grincry:

Well, almost the entire planet use the metric system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb