Cortana and traffic notifications...

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I cant for the life of me get traffic notifications to come up on my 1520. I had much better success with it working on my 920. All the same locations were there and I still have the same job. I do work on an Air Force base but its never been an issue before. I have done all the usual stuff, off/on, soft reset, hard reset, checked the check boxes x3, and still nothing.

Does traffic notifications for Cortana only work when its getting a cell signal or would it work if it was only connected to wif? anyone know? I might have to use a different phone for a few months but would really like to keep using my 1520 if possible. I would have it tethered to the other phone at all times.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It needs location services turned on. Also - I found it works best for me if the built-in Bing Maps App is the default mapping app, and is setup correctly (test it to make sure traffic shows up in it).

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Tried all of that with no luck again. It finds all my locations on Bing maps just fine and the address is in the correct format. Just no reminders to leave.

xJustiss

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Same Problem here, in Germamy we got The Alpha, but all options turned on, traffic Information works, location based reminder work (remind me if i,leave...)
But she doesnt tell ne about traffic for calendar events in daily glance and The reminder doesnt Show up either, last Thing,i will try is reset cortana and try it again.

If that doesnt work, i will wait for The Beta

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Update: Traffic-related and departure reminders are now working in Cortana - in the Philippines. Anyone else experiencing this "fix"?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow, how do I turn it on? Using 1520 for 3 months now, haven't tried that.

I was going to update this thread with some "new" findings. It seems that traffic and departure notifications only work when the appointment was created using Cortana - those notifications don't appear when the appointment was created using the Calendar app directly.

Let us know if you're findings are the same: use Cortana to create an appointment, e.g. by saying something like "Calendar birthday celebration at 8AM on June 18 at Park Square"... then refine whatever Cortana recognizes, since there's a chance not all the details will be recognized automatically.

Update: It seems confirmed. Traffic/departure notifications work if the appointment was created through Cortana. It doesn't matter if it was typed or spoken into Cortana. Once the appointment is created, the user may edit it seemingly without compromising the notification queue.

Last edited:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Not sure. I use public transport reminders (well, public transit "traffic" if you prefer) in Cortana. Sometimes, she kicks in early enough, detects a meeting with an address and tells me it's time to leave. I can tell if she has detected the meeting as the transit time start to appear in her daily glance a couple of hours ago.

This works well when I've entered FIRST the address in (bing) maps, then in the calendar (it will then autocomplete). But sometimes, she will miss these meetings. I don't understand why. I've never created a meeting through Cortana and yet, she'll remind me to leave early enough (and telling me the route) for let's say 3 meetings out of 10, while she'll stay silent for the remaining 7.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Not sure. I use public transport reminders (well, public transit "traffic" if you prefer) in Cortana. Sometimes, she kicks in early enough, detects a meeting with an address and tells me it's time to leave. I can tell if she has detected the meeting as the transit time start to appear in her daily glance a couple of hours ago.

This works well when I've entered FIRST the address in (bing) maps, then in the calendar (it will then autocomplete). But sometimes, she will miss these meetings. I don't understand why. I've never created a meeting through Cortana and yet, she'll remind me to leave early enough (and telling me the route) for let's say 3 meetings out of 10, while she'll stay silent for the remaining 7.

True, I agree with the observation - that Cortana is in a sort of hit-or-miss mode when it comes to appointments set within the Calendar app. But so far, Cortana has reminded me to depart for all of my appointments set from within Cortana. Further testing is being done, could be extended to recurring events (I'm trying to figure out how to set such type of event within Cortana).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3