Cortana (windows 10) keeps popping up

dirrtydavid

May 9, 2013
Visit site
So i don't know if there is a shortcut to launching Cortana but she keeps repeatedly popping up while i'm two-finger scrolling on my touchpad. It's very, very annoying. I've turned off the option where she can pop up with suggestions but it still happens, any ideas?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
There's an option under mouse & touchpad to pop up Cortana with a three finger tap, your computer is probably thinking you're doing that.

All Hail Gary

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Edit:
I'm an *****, ignore this post.

Original post:
I have the same issue, and I highly doubt it's mistaking 2 fingers for 3.
Even if it is, I can't disable the 3 finger tap, I don't see a setting for it anywhere. There's a setting to disable 3 finger flicks, but I like those, and that setting doesn't disable the tap action. I have this issue every once in a while while scrolling, and adding a 3rd finger doesn't open Cortana when I'm scrolling (I've tried).
I've tried contacting Answer Desk about this, and they had no idea. They said to wait for the next touchpad driver update, somehow I highly doubt that'll fix it.

Last edited:

Tricia Anne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Actually it worked for me. I unchecked the boxes in the settings. Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Synaptics Touchpad and there you will see boxes in which many gestures can be done with the touchpad. Three finger tap and four finger tap comes under "Tapping". If you don't see synaptics touchpad or something then yes you do need to update your touchpad driver.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've got it where it is supposed to invoke Cortana for the 3 finger tap, but it takes about 10 tries to get it to work, because my touchpad rather works sporadically.

However, disabling the 3 finger tap does nicely for me, and now I can invoke Cortana on purpose by using "Windows Key + C", which invokes Cortana ready to listen. "Windows Key + S" will invoke Cortana ready to receive typing. Makes life a bit easier for me.

Marcelo Velazquez

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My touchpad was configured to launch cortana when swiping from the right. It was very annoying, as I was not used to multitouch yet. Disabling that on synaptics' control panel solved it

All Hail Gary

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Actually it worked for me. I unchecked the boxes in the settings. Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Synaptics Touchpad and there you will see boxes in which many gestures can be done with the touchpad. Three finger tap and four finger tap comes under "Tapping". If you don't see synaptics touchpad or something then yes you do need to update your touchpad driver.

I feel stupid, it was a sub-menu arrow I didn't see (and neither did the Answer Desk guy).

vidit_panchal

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
It worked perfectly, but any idea why is it re-enabled after a Windows restart? Right now, I have to turn it off every time I start my laptop. Have Synaptics TouchPad V7.5 drivers which is the latest!

John Berry22

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Same exact problem here. Not actually using 3 fingers brings it up (often just one finger and another by left click), disabling in works till next reboot.

I looked through the registry to see if a script that ran every start up could fix it but no luck. Yes mines a Synaptic Touchpad too.

vidit_panchal

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Solved! Worked for me at least.
There are 2 methods. I tried the 2nd method first which is lengthy & has low success rates. Did not work for me but might for you. Worth a try.
Try the Method 1 first, if it doesn't work then you may give the second method a try.
I have Synaptics TouchPad driver for a HP laptop. I am not sure about other drivers.

Method 1: Downgrading driver build
-Go to device manager>expand Mice & other pointing devices>right click the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad>Properties> check driver date under Driver tab(mine was 15-7-2015).
-Now click update driver>browse my computer for driver>Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
-Check for Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad older dated(mine was 6-7-2015 in dd/mm/yyyy). Click & go next to install the driver. Should ask for restart.
Note: the driver version in the list above will be the same but different dates.
-Restart & go to Synaptics settings & disable Three-finger & Four-finger touch under Tapping tab.
-Click apply, Ok & close everything & confirm that three-finger tap is not working.
-Restart. Ideally that option should not be enabled again. Restart & shut down-start a couple of times to confirm.
If does not work, then you may also try other old dated drivers from the list you found above & follow the rest steps.

Method 2 :
Download HP drivers from HP site & for your model number.

PS: By restart I mean actually hitting the restart button & not shut down-boot again.
Read all the steps at first before starting the steps actually.

-Uninstall the synaptics driver software from program & features. It should then ask to restart.(Again I mean restart & not shut down-start again)
-After restart, delete every folder related to it from Program files or (x86), User>(Name)>App data>Roaming, and any other possible place. Restart again.
-Now install the driver you downloaded, if it's saying you haven't restarted after uninstalling the last time, then restart again & install.
-Go to Synaptics settings & disable Three-finger & Four-finger touch under the Touching tab. Hit apply & ok. Test & confirm if the three-finger tap is not working.
-Close the settings app & all other windows open (which should be none) & restart.
-Make sure you DO NOT open the Synaptics settings again ever. If you do, you might have to repeat the whole procedure all over again from start (experienced).
-Use your laptop a bit for a 2-3mins & confirm the Three-finger tap is not working.
-Restart again & shut down-start again a couple of times to confirm the problem is solved.

I did it around 4-5 times each, restart & shut down-start. It's working all good now.
Edit: a Windows update for Synaptics drivers shows up & installs. Since the installation cannot be stopped in Windows 10, it all goes to square one where you are left with the same problem. Check for Windows updates after the installation of the driver in Method 2, if no updates are shown then this method should work.

Hope either of the methods work for you guys too. Good luck!

All Hail Gary

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Being on this thread is making me feel like such a dumbass for shooting everything down so quickly. I'm sorry.
It appears that HP no longer gives out Synaptics drivers on their website. Instead, they give out Alps drivers. No more worrying about the Synaptics ones not working, I guess!

All Hail Gary

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I actually still have this issue. :/
Every time I try to install the Alps driver it lists for my laptop on the HP website (which is strange, my laptop uses a Synaptics touchpad), it doesn't work, and eventually Windows Update reinstalls the buggy Synaptics driver. Trying to install the Synaptics driver from the Synaptics website doesn't do the trick, either. I can't figure this out, it's slowly driving me mad. I really like Windows 10, but I'm getting so sick of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre