10 Ways to Invoke Cortana in Windows 10

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I have discovered that there are a number of ways to invoke Cortana on my Desktop in Windows 10. I thought a list in one place might prove helpful to some out there. If I have missed something, feel free to let me know.

First, it doesn't matter if Cortana is hidden, an icon, or a text box on the task bar for most of these.

Here's my Top 10 Ways to Invoke Cortana.

1. If you are using Cortana as a search box on the task bar, you can simply type in it to search with Cortana.
2. Click/tap the Mic icon in the search box to speak to Cortana.
3. If you are using Cortana as an Icon on the task bar, then click/tap, and type into the textbox
4. or click/tap the mic and speak.
5. Click/tap start or press the start button on the keyboard and begin typing. It will open and place whatever you type into Cortana's search box.
6. Set up Cortana for "Hey, Cortana!", and invoke her vocally with "Hey, Cortana!"
7. Press Windows Key + Q
8. or Windows Key + S to invoke Cortana ready for typed input.
9. Press Windows Key + C to invoke Cortana in listening mode.
10. On your touchpad, use a 3 finger tap to open.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Great list!

Here are 2 that are pretty much opposites of a shortcut...
11. Start > All Apps > Cortana
So many unnecessary steps, but I know people that do this.

12. If Cortana is pinned to the Start Menu, click/tap her tile.
Less steps that 11, but, yes, people do this as well. I pin her just for some quick info.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
MIght as well make it good old 13. Pin Cortana to the Desktop by dragging her from the start menu to the desktop. Then double-click Cortana on the Desktop Windows 95 style!

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I use a Sony SBH54 BT HEADSET, my needs are mobile vs desk.

Press and hold the Call/ Phone button and Cortana wakes up with a tone, waiting for a command.
This is a must have feature, as I keep my phone enclosed in a zipper case, in my pocket, while I am working.
I have a little trouble keeping this working consistently, but I expect I will learn the quirks over time.
Pressing the power or play buttons on the BT device, seem to change the mode.
After initial pairing and setup...
Power on the SBH54, wait a moment for it to pair, there is no "connected" tone.
Play 1x, enters music mode. Play again to start music.
Power 1x, changes it back to phone mode but does not interrupt the music. I can then press the Call button to wake Cortana, interrupting the music, say nothing and music resumed in a few seconds, or offer up a voice command, "call or text, whoever" etc...
In phone mode, it takes 2 presses on the Play button to pause the music.

It took a while to figure out since none of this was spelled out for me.

RonWesley

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
To activate "Hey, Cortana," click in the search box located in the Taskbar.

When the Search window comes up, click on the Notebook icon on the left side of the window.

Next, click on the Settings icon.

There you'll find a button to enable Hey Cortana. Click on it to slide it to the On position.

saloei

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
10 ways to turn Cortana on. I can wake my phone up using Cortana, but is there a command for putting the screen back to sleep without using the power button?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720