Does Cortana on Windows 10 (PC Desktop) receive an display SMS text messages on PC?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Does Cortana on Windows 10 (PC Desktop) receive an display SMS text messages on PC

I have heard that the new build 10576 (Windows 10 PC), there is the new functionality to receive phones calls and to reply with an SMS text. All the articles mention sending SMS text from the PC using Cortana. Does Cortana, running on Windows 10 (PC) allow incoming SMS texts to be received on the PC when linked to Cortana on Windows 10 Mobile?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Well sorry guys, I tried looking for an "official" article that would give you the answer, but...no deal..

If you would like to take my word for it.. Nope cortana can not receive text messages as of yet :) We fully expect it to be possible in the future however

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Once I heard a character in a comedy show saying something like, 'I can fly (take off) the airplane but don't know how to land it', its same for Cortana ;-)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think this is going to be a Cortana feature, I thought this was the plan for the integrated "Messaging" app, so that all messages that get sent or come in regardless of how they are sent/come in will show up, the same with the Phone app, if you are called or make a call on phone or Skype it will show up, and as far as I am aware the plan is the whole lot will also integrate with the people app like the new history function on the PC and then because it will be cloud based it will be cross device as well.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes that is how it works now, but as far as I am aware they are working towards an almost total integration, for example if a text message comes in on your phone, it will also appear on your PC in the messaging app and you can respond without having to touch your phone, with any luck the same will happen with the phone, I can already Skype call from my PC, I can use VOIP/Skype to call any telephone number (At a cost), why can't I call out using my PC via my mobile number.

The basic idea is encapsulated by what Satya said a few months ago and also in the past, the basic idea being that YOU and YOUR account are the main part in the system, not the device, and then in the past "Three screens and the cloud", so if you tie those together you get the idea for, integration of devices and you use the one that is appropriate so you use the small mobile when out and a larger one when you want in you home/office, so not only does it point to Integration in the apps but Continuum.

As long as MS can pull it off and they finally get Skype working with it as well (Not there yet as if I ask Cortana on my PC to call XXXXXX even though I have Skype and Skype credit, so she says "I am sorry I can only make calls from a phone").

They have most of it in place but if Skype/VOIP don't pull their finger out they could still lose this, although I think they are so far ahead of the game with integration, cross device OS of W10, Continuum and Cortana it would be a real **** if they let the market disintegrate even before the fun starts.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Does Cortana on Windows 10 (PC Desktop) receive an display SMS text messages on PC

Since I'm not sure where you ate this might not be applicable, however here in the US it's the carriers that don't allow the calls from the pc.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

Jatinder Lall

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Re: Does Cortana on Windows 10 (PC Desktop) receive an display SMS text messages on PC

All you need to do is install Cortana onto your Android phone (since it should be present in a windows phone). If in the UK you will need to side load the app via a api file. Once installed you go into settings and select which apps you want to sync and voila. If a text arrives on your mobile it will show in the action centre from you can directly reply (something I do all the time). If running Whats Apps as well you can reply to them. My phone generally sits in my pocket thanks to this quite simplistic but brilliant functionality

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon