Cortana worldwide

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been reading on articles about cortana now and then, especially on the Lumia conversations page.

The thing is, when can we expect cortana to be available for every country in the world? As of now it's available in less than 10 countries while there are over 160 countries waiting.

Will it ever happen? Cortana being released for all countries? Let's even say 95% of all countries or 95% by population.

A thought I had was that a lot of former colonies still use the same language such as British English or French. Can cortana be released for such countries with small modifications?

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Cortana is available in English (India) default speech language but to get Cortana to speak ,additional language support for speech to text has to be downloaded (I have English UK in my phone) since Speech to Text is still not available for English India.All other settings,i.e,region,keyboard etc are set for India.Also language has to be downloaded before Cortana is activated otherwise Cortana does not work properly.This is in case of mobile.I did not realise this initially when I upgraded to W10 and had a lot of problems with Cortana.I discovered all this by trial and phone reset.
However in case of PC no additional language is required,only English India speech language works fine on my laptop.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Cortana is available in English (India) default speech language but to get Cortana to speak ,additional language support for speech to text has to be downloaded (I have English UK in my phone) since Speech to Text is still not available for English India.All other settings,i.e,region,keyboard etc are set for India.Also language has to be downloaded before Cortana is activated otherwise Cortana does not work properly.This is in case of mobile.I did not realise this initially when I upgraded to W10 and had a lot of problems with Cortana.I discovered all this by trial and phone reset.
However in case of PC no additional language is required,only English India speech language works fine on my laptop.

So when setting up a new phone, to get Cortana for non supported regions, I need to have the right language pack installed, the right speech pack but others like region and keyboard can stay local?

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
So when setting up a new phone, to get Cortana for non supported regions, I need to have the right language pack installed, the right speech pack but others like region and keyboard can stay local?

I don't know for non supported regions as Cortana is available in India.I used this page for Cortana/language on my phone after upgrading to W10 M since I found that old settings with W8.1 did not work -
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10648/windows-phone-feature-and-service-availability
If region is not set according to your location,search results will be inaccurate.

In 8.1 as per MS website ,English UK as default speech language with all other settings to India was required for Cortana.
With both 8.1 & 10 I have Bengali and Hindi as additional keyboard languages for personal use.
W10 M-
Speech -Eng India default,additional Eng UK,
Keyboard Eng India(also Bengali & Hindi)
Others India.

For PC all settings India.No additional speech language required here.(Of course I have Bengali & Hindi additional keyboard languages for personal use).

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Almost a year on, what has changed? Is setting region to US or UK recommended or accepted?

I had to set English UK as speech language on my laptop after the AU because Cortana is not speaking with English India after the update.Region and keyboard language India.

Edit : Cortana is speaking today with English India again.:smile:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel