Does Cortana work for you in Windows 10 Mobile 10586?

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Ever since I upgraded my phone to Windows 10 Mobile, Cortana has not worked for me at all. I am in Canada and Cortana worked perfect in Windows Phone 8.1. When I try to search for something using Cortana, it will just say "Thinking..." for 20 seconds then crash. Similarly, if I try to do a voice command the same thing happens.

Is anybody else experiencing this with Cortana?

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I am in canada with a lumia 830 and am having this issue, but its intermittent. Sometimes she cooperates, mostly it hangs for 15-20 and crashes. Very annoying.

Ricardo Castillo

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Let me ask a question, the "hey Cortana" feature only will work for icon, 1050, 930 and top phones? If google can make "ok google" work for inferior phones, why a quad core (just an example) lumia can't do the hey Cortana feature?

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Let me ask a question, the "hey Cortana" feature only will work for icon, 1050, 930 and top phones? If google can make "ok google" work for inferior phones, why a quad core (just an example) lumia can't do the hey Cortana feature?

Has something to do with chipsets in the phone, I think a lower grade snapdragon or something, tho im not 100%. Just poor component choice I guess.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I actually think it's something on the service's back end. Why? Because I'm having the same issue with Cortana on my PC. I'm in Canada as well. Considering changing my region on both PC and phone to U.S.

Just a shot in the dark...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
As ShaneRay suggests.. try changing the region and possibly language (that is if you used En GB instead En US for some reason lol)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

We don't have a 1050! you know sth we don't eh???

In any case MS has said that only phones with SoC's 800> will be able to support the "hey cortana" feature. Could other phones get it? probably, considering that most phones can support "live photos" but MS is reserving that for high-end and latest phones, but can you blame them?

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
any one ever resolve this issue? still having it daily, find it unacceptable that one of W10 main features barely ever works. have done so many factory resets, it will work for a day, than start hanging and crashing again

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Cortana works fine on my 950xl. But she's gotten stupider. She can no longer respond to music commands like play artist Sublime. Now she does web searches. Same thing with what time does Costco close. She just does a web search. All these commands worked fine in 8.1

Sequel2k

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having this problem on my 950xl. It worked fine for a few days. Now I have nothing but "thinking..." I can't even manually add a reminder. I press the add icon, but nothing happens. This is really frustrating, as I am now trained to search in Cortana. But, now I have to open Edge in order to perform a web search.

I am also running W10 on my old 1020 and Cortana works fine there.

I was hoping .29 was going to resolve this, but it did not. I added this to the feedback app. If anyone else is still having this issue, please upvote.

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I did yet another factory reset, I did restore from back up, and she has worked for about 3 days now. It's slow sometimes, painfully slow others, and rarely it's as quick as 8.1. But it's working now for what it's worth

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Mine is also totally broken! No voice input. Text input ends ends in app crash. Build 10586.36. The feeds get loaded though. Surprisingly it was working fine when I had updated from windows 8.1 without doing a hard reset. After doing a hard reset in windows 10 Cortana has broken!

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
After trying another reset, I've found that the Canadian speech settings, and keyboard settings always error out when trying to download. Reported to feedback, and tried to get help on twitter, MS support, nothing helped. I swear MS Canada is a shell company

claudio nunez

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm in canada too and no speech capabilities for cortana since the lates wp10 update. It dies give the news and weather but nothing else. A complete waste of time. But I can live without it.

Tonytoronto2015

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
guys, forget settting it to canada, doesn't work. Set everything to US and will work now and then. Its amazing how badly they screwed this up, 8.1 worked great, had some things missing here and there, but worked great. On wm10 she got so damn stupid not even funny.

look4wd

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine not working at all even though I have reinstall Windows Insider app.

Thanks.

Update:
Finally, I managed to get it working as it should.
Need to set English - United States as language and region. Just one.

Please try and feedback.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo