Cortana crashing

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
YES. I just logged into the forums to ask about this. It's really annoying me on my desktop, Surface, AND my 640. I just tried to set a remind. Had to say it literally 4 or 5 times before it went through and on the last one I was yelling at it to "REMIND ME TO CHECK THE GOD DAMNED FREEZER."

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Cortana crashes some much it's not even useable. On any build, insider or not, it crashes and refuse to work properly 99% of the time. MS really screwed it up. On my second 950XL after the first one had faulty camera. Same exact issues, including Cortana. Not entirely sure if it's HW, SW or both. Firmware also possibly faulty as well.

Another issue is she doesn't respond even when yelling. But leave her alone for days and she start popping up randomly even with complete silence.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Same - Hey Cortana continues to be inconsistent and as soon as I get Cortana hearing it crashes. Takes a few tries to get search to work.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Cortana has been crashing a lot for me recently too. I have a 640 with .318, and I can remember this happening as far back as .218. Cortana is unusable. I search, and it almost always crashes on the first try. I try searching again, and sometimes it'll crash, sometimes it'll work. Sometimes it'll crash on the third try as well.

Also, I think this is related to Cortana crashing. If I make a time-based reminder with Cortana, and then tapped on it in the Outlook calendar, it will always crash to the Start Screen.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is always crashing on my SP3. More so than than actually working.

Yeah, that's what baffles me, because if both versions crash, maybe it's not something related to the actual Cortana app. Certainly is beyond the mobile crappiness.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Oh well, then I am not alone.
On my 930 Cortana crashes frequently and she does so on my new 950; the assistant is very unreliable and using Cortana is a real gambling. Very sad and Microsoft should be ashamed to highlight Cortana on one side and give the users this unreliability on the other.

Windows as a service reminds me already too much of some MMOs where the developers are forced or intend to implement more and more new features but do not waste much time to actually fix what is already there and increase stability.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried Build 14356? It's supposed to address Cortana problems that sound familiar in the list of fixed bugs.

Felipeicd

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
The stupid thing crash every damn time! And they are bringing it to the Xbox? Voice recognition will never work again on the console

Enviado desde mTalk

Wascally

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
This was the top result on google for 640 cortana crashes so I thought I would post up what worked for me.
I have a Microsoft Lumia 640 and Cortana was crashing whenever I tried to use a voice search and it refused to read out texts over Bluetooth, I tried a hard reset and it did nothing.
So now to the fix, it turned out there was an issue with my language pack so here is how I fixed it.
All Settings - Time & Language - Language
My language was English (Australia)
Tap and hold on on the language for more options then click on 'Speech Options'
I found that for some reason I didn't have the 'English (Australia)' speech language
Click 'Add a language' and find the one matching what language you are using on your phone
Download it, once it installs it will ask you to reset your phone, do this.
When the phone has been reset go into the Cortana App and Settings, under Cortana Language click 'set to default'
Hopefully it works now.

WP_Love

Apr 27, 2019
Visit site
Fix Cortana Crashing

Mine was crashing too.

The solution in my case was to download the correct speech language within settings / speech.

(This will require a reboot)

In my case in was UK English, then make sure that matches what is in Cortana settings.

After that everything worked great.

I think what is broken is the notification that the correct language is not installed, so you are left to guess what the problem is!!

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

WP_Love

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte