Change 'Hey Cortana' to just 'Cortana' to invoke assistant to react.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried saying " Cortana" instead of "Hey, Cortana" ??

I did. And Cortana replies back " That's me".

That happens on laptop running Insider Preview 16179 and also on laptop running Win 10 ver 1703 OS Build 15063.138.

Cortana instead of Hey Cortana.jpg

P.S. No, I do not find it annoying to say " Hey Cortana."

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it'd be cooler, especially since in-game or otherwise you have characters talking like "Cortana, _____" but I don't think you can change the hotword. It's an option I'd like that Google doesn't have either.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I think it'd be cooler, especially since in-game or otherwise you have characters talking like "Cortana, _____" but I don't think you can change the hotword. It's an option I'd like that Google doesn't have either.

Pardon me.
Didn't I just replied on post #2 saying I did it and Cortana did reply back ?

Arun Bakt1

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the response davidhk129. It doesn't work for me. Only responds to Hey Cortana. I am on the build version 1703.
I agree annoying is too strong a word to describe my feelings. After using Alexa, I am lazy to say hey Cortana..just Cortana would make it even more quick to invoke her to help me.

xandros9 yes, I get that Cortana assistant would interfere when users playing games where the character Cortana is involved. But I don't play video games that much. It would be nice if MS gives an option to trim the hotword.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know that I have my Surface Pro and Lumia 950 XL here and both of them just responded to "Cortana". I did not have to say "Hey Cortana". Of course, this being MS and all, it might not work tomorrow but just wanted to let you know.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Just to let you know that I have my Surface Pro and Lumia 950 XL here and both of them just responded to "Cortana". I did not have to say "Hey Cortana". Of course, this being MS and all, it might not work tomorrow but just wanted to let you know.

Thank you.

Just to elaborate further.....

If I say, as usual, "Hey Cortana", she will reply " Hey there."

If I say " Cortana", she will reply " That's me".

In other words, Cortana replies differently with or without the word "Hey".

Can you confirm that too ?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
So, just sat at my desk and woke my desktop and said "Cortana"...nothing.
Then said "Hey Cortana" and got the Full screen Listening, Hey Cortana screen
10-20% of the time after wakening Cortana, she would recognize the shortened "Cortana" command with , and "that's me" (also got the "that's me" reply on subsequent "Hey Cortana" commands).

Got the same behavior from my Surface Pro 3, and Surface Book: after wakening these devices, it took an initial "Hey Cortana" command to awaken her, then "Cortana" command worked about 10% of the time after that.

I will also mention that Cortana has also come on to the TV occasionally.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
So, just sat at my desk and woke my desktop and said "Cortana"...nothing.
Then said "Hey Cortana" and got the Full screen Listening, Hey Cortana screen
10-20% of the time after wakening Cortana, she would recognize the shortened "Cortana" command with , and "that's me" (also got the "that's me" reply on subsequent "Hey Cortana" commands).

Got the same behavior from my Surface Pro 3, and Surface Book: after wakening these devices, it took an initial "Hey Cortana" command to awaken her, then "Cortana" command worked about 10% of the time after that.

I will also mention that Cortana has also come on to the TV occasionally.

Thank you.

My result is slightly different in that I did not have to use the hey Cortana command to "wake her up" first.

I went straight to "Cortana" and I got the "That's me" reply.
I had tried numerous time since my first post and it worked 100%.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I find it a bit annoying to say Hey Cortana when we could just call her Cortana.
Anyone agree here?
I would prefer that but suspect with current technology/price points, it would result in higher costs or more false positives.

When and if they do that, they should have her respond to "Hey, Cortana" with: "Hay is for horses!".

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I find "Hey Cortana" to be inconsistent on my Lumia 950. It only seems to wake up my phone for voice commands about 50% of the time when I use the phrase. This weekend, I was setting up a new Android phone for my mom and installed the Cortana app. I was talking to my mom about the difference between Cortana and Google Assistant, and twice Cortana responded on my phone and started transcribing my conversation into the search text box. I thought that was strange since I had only said "Cortana," not "Hey Cortana."

Again, the next day, I was talking to my cousin and mentioned Cortana automatically tracking package shipments for some eBay purchases. While I was talking to him, I had my phone out and noticed Cortana had started transcribing my conversation again.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by poit57
I find "Hey Cortana" to be inconsistent on my Lumia 950. It only seems to wake up my phone for voice commands about 50% of the time when I use the phrase. This weekend, I was setting up a new Android phone for my mom and installed the Cortana app. I was talking to my mom about the difference between Cortana and Google Assistant, and twice Cortana responded on my phone and started transcribing my conversation into the search text box. I thought that was strange since I had only said "Cortana," not "Hey Cortana."

Again, the next day, I was talking to my cousin and mentioned Cortana automatically tracking package shipments for some eBay purchases. While I was talking to him, I had my phone out and noticed Cortana had started transcribing my conversation again.

On my Lumia 950, also XL, I had to start Cortana for the first time manually, afterwards it responds to my voice commands but before the would be a high chance that Cortana does not respond at all, regardless of how hard I try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3