Zero rating coming to Cricket

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Introducing Stream More. Looks like it's going to be available for all their data plans. You can opt in/out at any time. Starting April 2.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

[FONT=&quot]Stream More:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Starting April 2, 2017, Cricket will launch Stream More, a feature which helps you save data when watching videos by streaming certain higher-definition videos at standard definition quality, similar to DVD (about 480p). Cricket will begin activating Stream More starting April 2, 2017, and continue during the coming months. Once activated, you may turn it off or back on at any time. To learn when Cricket will turn on Stream More for you, view [/FONT]Important Information Regarding Data Speed, Usage and Network Management[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Nice.

Sounds just like Binge on T-Mobile but with a more informative name.

But what does the thread title mean, Zero Rating?

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Nice.

Sounds just like Binge on T-Mobile but with a more informative name.

But what does the thread title mean, Zero Rating?

That's what I'm wondering. Was expecting a negative comment.
I'm a Cricket user. Nothing but good things to say. Bare bones but I have no reason to overspend.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I too am confused by the thread title. Sounds like a good feature, but definitely not something I need. I too am very happy with my service, started with 500MB plan which has turned into a 3GB plan now for the same price. No complaints from me.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Zero rating definition from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-rating

Zero-rating (also called toll-free data or sponsored data) is the practice of mobile network operators (MNO), mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), and Internet service providers (ISP) not to charge end customers for data used by specific applications or internet services through their network, in limited or metered data plans.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] It allows customers to use provider-selected content sources or data services like an app store,[SUP][7][/SUP] without worrying about bill shocks, which could otherwise occur if the same data was normally charged according to their data plans and volume caps.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Cricket's big brother AT&T has been doing this for the past few months now with Steam Saver. It's only available with data plans with more than 10 GB data plans. What they should do is provide unlimited music streaming via either Pandora, Spotify, Groove (I used that constantly) etc. on both Cricket and AT&T.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't sound like Zero-Rating. I can find no mention that the forced 480p is combined with the stream not counting towards data cap. Just that the 480p would naturally save data use through reduction. Also with the reduced bandwidth there should likely be zero buffering at that resolution over Cricket's 8 mbps speed cap.

They also recently dropped Unlimited down to $60 from $70. Now that's getting speed capped at 22GB a month.

Cricket Wireless introduces Stream More forced standard def video, will start throttling Unlimited plans after 22GB

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos