Any Raspberry Pi users in the house?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if there are any Raspberry Pi users in the house here? I recently picked up a starter kit and have started tinkering. Would be fun to discuss with some members here (heck, maybe even start up a dedicated forum). Let me know :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've got three Raspberry Pis. I concur, they are definitely interesting, and it would be cool to see what other people are doing with them.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pi 3 in my garage as a homebrew security device. I'm still working on it, I need to get some relays so I can control my garage doors with it.

I have another Pi 3 that is running RetroPie ( https://retropie.org.uk/ ). It's pretty awesome. Just last night, I had a friend over and we drank a few beers and played vintage video games until way later than we should have.

My third one is, I think a second gen. It's really not doing anything at the moment. I have a webserver installed on it, but I can't remember why!

Do you have a project planned with yours yet, @James Falconer?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome!

I think what I'm going to do is RetroPie mine up. I have an NES Classic and I can't get enough of the darn thing. RetroPie looks like the real deal...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome!

I think what I'm going to do is RetroPie mine up. I have an NES Classic and I can't get enough of the darn thing. RetroPie looks like the real deal...

Nice, a NES Classic, I was thinking about grabbing one but, when they go back to $60 (the hardware in them are not worth much more). Then they are easy to hack to add the roms that I feel are missing :)

RetroPie looks awesome...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
@DavidinCT - It is indeed easy to hack. Plenty of instructional stuff out there on YouTube. Not that I condone it, and you're only loading backup ROMs of games you already own, RIGHT? :)

There might be a few that I currently don't own but, chances are I did at one point... I would not full up a system with 200 roms, what is the point as I would only play 25-30 of them on each system ? When we get down to it, classic systems, and retro games, how many of them really have a TON of replay value ?

I have been gaming from the 2600 days, even back then, I had almost every game system. I had over 75 2600 games (never mind the 5200, 7800 games), 126 NES games, 87 SNES and even at home today, I own 5 full size coin-op machines (Crystal Castles, Marble Madness, Asteroids and Ms, Pac and a Star Wars cockpit). I currently have a Xbox one S (22 games), PS 4 (8 games), 360 with about (60 or so games) and even a Wii/WiiU (with about 15-20 games for those)

So about 99% of the games that I would put on the system are games that I actually own :)

Anyway, looking at RetroPie that works on the Pi (I have used a few of these devices, as at work we have some TVs setup as kiosks on a web page and these work perfect for it and very cheap) I like the interface but, I have a Home theater PC, that even is pretty mid rage but, would be a pretty heavy spec'ed PC.

So, I found emulationstation, it works on WIndows PCs and look just like RetroPie...

Here's a video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQVmsFOclM

Going to work on getting this on my HTPC....thanks for this thread...I think... :-\

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
@DavidinCT The RetroPIe uses EmulationStation to run the ROMs.

Oh, I know, I just didn't know that it was available for WIndows... Too bad the project was abandoned a while ago. I set it up last night and under testing on a Windows 7 HTPC, works pretty good, some minor issues but, things I just need to do some research on.

RetroArch runs the roms...Not EmulationStation, as it's just the front end.

https://www.libretro.com/

This is the complete backend of Emu station...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers