Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    Hey! So I picked up the 64GB version and I'm already in love. I grabbed a class 10 32GB micro SD card and decided the most logical thing to do would be to install Dragon Age Origins, Ultimate Edition. Has anyone else tried gaming on the Venue 8 Pro?
    Thanked by:

Well I just ordered myself a 64gb Venue 8 Pro. I plan on playing Hearthstone on it.
    I'm actually curious how games like Starcraft II and other relatively fancy games handle themselves on the DV8P
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > Z|71 > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4
    > Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920
    "anything with a large enough engine will fly" -raspabalsa

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    There are a few YouTube videos out there. Starcraft 2 was one of them.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    To me, gaming on it isnt very fun because of the form factor, esp. non-touch games.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    To me, gaming on it isnt very fun because of the form factor, esp. non-touch games.
    yea, for me, its me being more curious at how the graphics will hold up, especially compared to my aging but solid laptop
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > Z|71 > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4
    > Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > HD2 > Treo 650 > Lumia 920
    "anything with a large enough engine will fly" -raspabalsa

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    yea, for me, its me being more curious at how the graphics will hold up, especially compared to my aging but solid laptop
    I threw Myst on mine because of the touch screen.
    xandros9 likes this.

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    My first attempted install didn't work, so I'm redownloading and trying again. Hopefully it works this time!

I also have a powered usb otg cable in the mail today to allow me to use a keyboard and mouse. If that works well, I'll invest in a bluetooth set so I don't have to worry about the cable.

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    I threw Myst on mine because of the touch screen.
    How is Myst? Also, did you see this video?

can you test civilization 5?

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Myst can run on just about anything, so it worked just fine.
    xandros9 likes this.

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts
    Dragon Age Origins runs terribly on the machine, and so far, the only way I can get it running is if there's a keyboard attached.
    huh, does this overheat? or is it miraculously that efficient?

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    huh, does this overheat? or is it miraculously that efficient?
    It gets rather warm when play video games that demand much.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    My DVP should arrive today and I the 64GB with a couple of additional 64GB MicroSD's to toss in. I actually planned to install a few PC games on it just to see how they hold up and if they are at all playable. Storage is limited so games that are more than 20GB aren't really going to make the cut. A few of the games I planned to install of the top of my head were Fifa '14, Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, Rayman Legends, Limbo, Guacamalee, Bastion, Dishonored, Flatout Ultimate Carnage and maybe a few more. These were totalling about 30GB all together. I don't expect all of these to work or run well but it's a trial run. I have another 30 PC games on my PC to test out down the road but I tried to avoid the more demanding FPS type games.

I also bought a micro USB to USB adapter which will allow me to use my Xbox Wireless adapter. Then I can game with my old 360 wireless controllers or even go multiplayer for Fifa and MK. I obviously expect if anything actually runs I'll need to tone down pretty much all settings to low. I didn't buy this a gaming device but more just curious to see what this thing can handle. And if a few real PC games work on it and work well then that's considered a bonus for me.
    dgr_874 likes this.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Update:

Adjusted the Intel settings to run at max performance. Might get a small performance bump out it at the expense of battery life. Which I think is already apparent. Installed Limbo and Bastion. Both run perfectly fine. Installed Gears of War but failed to launch, gave a warning the system didn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Tried installing Dishonored, but it crashed with a fatal error and reported missing a bunch of files.. Odd. Flatout runs but at full res on low settings it's still pretty choppy. Might run better in a lower res. Rayman Legends works, looks beautiful but ran laggy on full res. Reducing the res improved performance but rather than stretching the picture across the screen it played it in a smaller screen with a big black box around it. Then trying to quit it froze my tablet and caused a blue screen on reboot. Have to wait for a system repair it's doing now..
    Last edited by Lundon44; 12-05-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    dgr_874 likes this.

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    Just played a little Diablo 2 on the Venue 8 Pro. Seemed to work just fine. FPS wasn't great but that's because I installed it on a slower than snails micro sd card.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hearthstone can just barley run on venue 8. Ghost recon AW2 doesn't run well. LoL will not not run at all (tried all workarounds). Steam version of pinball fx2 was a little laggy. And I tried few other random games. Its not meant for really any game playing that's not 2D/text.
    Xbox: DaltonCarl24 (challenge me on WP games)

Global Posts
    3,206 Global Posts
    I will be on the road for almost 2 weeks coming up relatively soon. It will probably be a good time for me to try out installing a few other Steam games.

Anyone using a Bluetooth gamepad? I dont wanna have to cart around my wireless xbox one and the reciever

So far, gaming hasn't been too bad on it.
    For a lot of games I wouldn't recommend playing without an external keyboard and mouse.
    Ran Star Trek Online on it via wifi tethering to my phone and it worked out reasonably well without having to turn the graphics down to pong level. Will be trying a few others over the next couple of weeks since it's a quiet time of the year.
    xandros9 likes this.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandu229 View Post
    Anyone using a Bluetooth gamepad? I dont wanna have to cart around my wireless xbox one and the reciever
    I have used the red samurai one from gamestop. You'll need xpadder of course to make it useful. Bit worked fine, although you can see a little lag between button click and action on screen.

Micro to full USB to use Xbox controller works great. You can play the walking dead game btw. ( settings on low ). And tablet runs 1080 mkv files with 0% problems.
    Xbox: DaltonCarl24 (challenge me on WP games)

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I loaded up Torchlight 2 yesterday and played for a couple hours using a Turtle Beach headset, Logitech tablet keyboard and Microsoft Arc Mouse for Surface. (All Bluetooth) It worked just fine though I was having occasional problems with audio stutter... I don't think that was an issue with the game but instead simply between the headset and tablet. The batteries may have been getting low in the headset.

I played a little bit of Pinball FX2, XBOX Windows Store version, and that seemed to run smoothly.

I was going to try Halo: Spartan Assault. It starts up fine but the interface has some sort of bug in it where it doesn't scale properly and items are all overlapping. I didn't even try to get past the main menu. Hopefully they will release a patch for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneFlame View Post
    I loaded up Torchlight 2 yesterday and played for a couple hours using a Turtle Beach headset, Logitech tablet keyboard and Microsoft Arc Mouse for Surface. (All Bluetooth) It worked just fine though I was having occasional problems with audio stutter... I don't think that was an issue with the game but instead simply between the headset and tablet. The batteries may have been getting low in the headset.

I played a little bit of Pinball FX2, XBOX Windows Store version, and that seemed to run smoothly.

I was going to try Halo: Spartan Assault. It starts up fine but the interface has some sort of bug in it where it doesn't scale properly and items are all overlapping. I didn't even try to get past the main menu. Hopefully they will release a patch for that.
    all else fails you could load up some Halo 1 or 2 :)

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I've been running Galactic Civilizations II on there for hours at a time and it runs great. Haven't put a memory card in there yet so haven't been able to install anything else.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast