Gaming Emulators and Xbox Controller

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I used to run Snes8x and other emulators on my surface while it was connect to TV and Xbox controller. Now I miss that function.
I am looking into adding something to the Venue to give it an HDMI output + a free USB port (for Xbox wireless controller transmitter).
I am avoiding miracast and such tech because it most likely introduces lag and ruins gaming.

USB 3.0 to HDMI 1080p 1-Port Hub External Video HDMI Adapter with USB pass through (USB32HDEH)
Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter

41gqWWmZ0FL.jpg51exwAnQDCL__SL1000_.jpg81DTzJnDT+L__SL1500_.jpg

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is your question? Are you asking if the hardware you have pictured is compatible?

No question... more of a status update. rx74ray is just letting us know what his plans are. :)

I wonder if the fact that the Venue 8 Pro only has USB2 will become a limiting factor in how well this works or what resolution it is able to output for HDMI. While not specifically related to the V8P, I have seen that discussed with other USB3 -> DHMI/DVI output devices elsewhere. Of course, if you're just using it to play some emulators resolution may not be as big of a factor.

I received one of the Plugable UD-3900 Universal Dock at work this week which also has that video out capability (and more). I have not had a chance to try it out yet but when I do, I'll try to remember to post an update here as it is another option for people looking to accomplish this.

81kxiPZM92L._SL1500_.jpg

In any case... rx74ray, please report back on whether you are successful with this as others may find it helpful.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
In any case... rx74ray, please report back on whether you are successful with this as others may find it helpful.

I was looking at this device. it seems very nice, but I think it is a little over kill for my application. UD-3000 is $100.
I will order the USB to HDMI and OTG cable and see if it works. That costs me $75.

mpholic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Diamond BVU165LT (USB graphics adaptor) and it works great. I have it set for 1920 x 1080 and the picture is fine. I'm using it right now. Just like having a external monitor for a laptop. Just connected it today so I don't know how it does for games yet. it's output is DVI-D. if you need HDMI buy the BVU165, it comes with HDMI and VGA adapters. The LT is bare and DVI only. I have it connected to a powered USB hub and the Dell's screen shut off so the power drain is very slow. The adapter was $47 and there is a $15 rebate at Newegg.com

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6