Screen stopped rotating, now what?

kirbybaker#WN

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Over the weekend the screen on my DV8P stopped rotating. I've checked every setting I can think of and based on those checks, screen rotate lock is not on, yet I only get portrait mode now. I can manually force it to landscape, which is fine since I always use it in landscape, but I'm wondering if the sensor broke in the tablet or something else caused an issue?

Any suggestions? I had previously updated all dell firmware/fixes they had as of a week ago (or whenever the touch screen fix was released) and windows update is fully updated.

I don't mind reinstalling the OS, but didn't want to jump to that just yet. Appreciate suggestions. Thanks!

kirbybaker#WN

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
MS updates or Dell? I had not updated anything since about last Monday. At that time, everything was up to date. Its possible that MS update ran and installed things on its own, but I thought I had it set to not do that. Beyond that, nothing changed on the tablet other than a few app updates or new app installs.

Not really sure where to look at this point, but as of last night there were no new updates (MS or Dell). I do remember one other odd thing, I was playing a game on the tablet this past weekend and the game sound stopped working. Other sounds (keyboard for example) continued to work. I didn't think much of it, and it corrected itself after a reboot. But I wonder if the 2 oddities were related?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Dell. I upgraded mine about a week ago. The update broke my wifi switch and I had to download wifi drivers separately to usb then install
them to fix it. Seems to function a bit better. If you still have that game, uninstall it. If you are running google chrome, uninstall that too and delete the hidden files where chrome stores its parasites that work long after the browser is "uninstalled ". Run C-Cleaner to make sure you didn't pick something up. Worse come to worse, run recovery and start from scratch or use its warranty if you have to.

mpholic

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a game that utilizes the accelerometer? If so, she if the motion interface for the game still works. If the game still works the accelerometer is ok and you may have video driver problems. If the game no longer works than than its probably motion related, the driver or worse a hardware problem.

kirbybaker#WN

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm tempted to re-install from scratch.

I am not sure if I have a game that uses the accelerometer. Have any examples that I could try?

Also, I have noticed that if I force the screen to landscape, and then unlock the rotation function, it does rotate. It seems like the tablet thinks its stuck in portrait mode. Hope that's not a bad sign.

No Google Chrome installed. Will go through and uninstall things that I installed in the past week to see if that helps too.

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if I have a game that uses the accelerometer. Have any examples that I could try?

"The Gunstringer" uses the accelorometer, as does Asphalt 8 (tilt to turn). Or if you want something a bit smaller try getting something like Minion Rush; that has sections which require you to tilt the device to avoid obstacles

kirbybaker#WN

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just tried Gunslinger, and it appears the accelerometer might be hosed... performing a full system scan (dell checkup app) and then will try the windows key-o. if that doesn't help, I am going to use the recovery option and see what happens.

no luck on the win key +o. Ugh!

Last edited:

kirbybaker#WN

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well good news is that the full reset from the recovery image worked, and everything is working again. not sure what caused the issue. hope it doesn't come back.

jcinc

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me before. I found one of the Intel drivers to be the problem for me. I just uninstalled it, screen rotated like normal and didn't bother with installing it again.

Matthew Fenton

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Found this little that timbit worked for me, who knew such a simple problem could be so obvious to fix.

You don't have the Screen Orientation locked by any chance?

Check here: (swipe in from right edge) Settings | Screen | (tap top screen icon above vertical volume bar to toggle between lock/unlock)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12