"We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes"

meltedmoops999

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I recently got this after trying to update my DV8P. I factory reset it after panicking and I barely found any information on the web. Does anyone have a clue on how to update and getting past that constant (even after shutting down) "we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes" error message? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Was it a one time occurrence?

I remember getting some errors, they worked themselves out IIRC on my current Surface Pro, and I think my older laptop as well.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have same error. It happend when i hard reset my DV8P with your Recovery Parttion , xandros9.

Honestly I would just give it some time, update in smaller batches, etc.
And hope nothing is wrong.

My thing was just a direct copy of the recovery partition.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I think its windows trying to install updates in a different order than it should. I had to do a factory reset and it did it to me while going from 8.0 to 8.1. Once the device "rolled back" and windows booted, it stated that it had some updates to install, and they did just that with no problems.

bearcat4551

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My wife's Venue 8 will not install "any" updates for windows 8.1. Tries and then runs Undoing changes.... over and over again until desktop finally comes back. I worked for IBM for a time years ago and we generally had customers with OS issues do a reload. Going to try that since she relies on her tablet for reading books. Very annoying and time consuming. Dell does not see any issues from their software help (PC Doctor).

meltedmoops999

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Update: I still couldn't get it to update without it saying that error message. I tried it at least 5 times, all in slightly different ways and no luck. I sent it back where I bought it from for a replacement. Let's hope that one will update fine. Very irritating and frustrating experience so far with the Venue 8 Pro.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Probably a particular update causing this. I had it occur with a laptop recently.

Run each update individually until you find the one causing the rollback. For the one where I had this issue, I was able to run the update by downloading it directly and installing it rather than installing it through Windows Update (select more information about the update and go to the knowledgebase article on it).

Scott

Bin Sparrow

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hard Reset your Windows, after that, please dowload Windows Update troubleshooter (Search from Google)
Run it and it will fix your problems. I promise

meltedmoops999

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes"

Hard Reset your Windows, after that, please dowload Windows Update troubleshooter (Search from Google)
Run it and it will fix your problems. I promise

I tried that. It did not work. I'll even attach a pic of when it said it fixed issues. I thought that was gonna fix everything but it still gave me the same error. Very annoyed and frustrated, I sent it back for a replacement. I hope it was just that specific DV8P with the update issues.

Attachments

• 1418878456245.jpg
    1418878456245.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 8

Jem Pammenter-Fry

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Just hit this problem while installing my son's new Dell Venue 8 Pro. I ran the update troubleshooter as suggested on this thread. Then I went into the list of updates and unchecked all except KB2919355. Once that one has installed on its own, reboot, and do a full update.

It seems to have worked for me. Hope this helps someone else.

Aaqib_Afzal

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Do a selective update, this is common even with desktop installations of windows, basically whats happening here is that windows is trying to install an earlier update before an older(Pre-req) update is installed. Just go into your update history, look for which updates have failed and do a selective install of updates one by one and you should be back on track

91krissy

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I keep getting that same message" currently updaying, don't shut off computer". after a hour of that it than states"couldn't complete update removing all changes." it's trying and annoying it happens everytime i try to use my desktop windows 8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion