Dell Venue Pro upgrade to Win 10 / storage

doylebob

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I have a brand new Dell Venue Pro 8 with 32GB storage. Came with 8.1. I want to upgrade it to Win 10. .

I cannot in place upgrade to Win 10, no matter that I delete and un install, I don't have enough space. I can't in diskpart delete the darn 9.5GB recovery partition. Dell sent me a usb cable and USB thumb drive to clean install 8.1. They gave you no instructions other than those for a pc where the menus are not the same.

What I need are clear steps when I boot with the USB Drive, I choose the toshiba MSFT option, then America, english...then what? And how to stop it from booting again to the usb drive. i have had this tablet a week and am essentially sending it back in a day unless I cna make this work.

Make sense? :) Because in a week no one at Dell has the faintest clue what I am talking about.

Thanks!!

Guardsix

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Heck, I send it back! If Dell can' tell you how to upgrade one of their own tablets, then that's pretty bad support. They knew Win 10 was coming so they should know how to upgrade your Dell and be ready to provide support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bmpoad

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded. I used the ms media tool to create a Copy on a flash drive that has a micro-usb connector. Then launched setup from desktop. I only had a couple GB free. It told me it needed more disk and gave the option to use sdcard space or usb drive space which I did. It took about two hours to upgrade. Make sure you have full charge. You might be able to copy the install files to the sd card and not use the flash drive. I did not try that. Booting from the flash drive doesn't provide touch support so that method might require a hub and a keyboard. Hope this helps.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem. If I choose the "Choose another drive or attach an external drive with 9.00 GB available" option - will I need to have the micro SD card in the tablet all the time after upgrading to Windows 10? Or will it just be a temporary storage - just to get the upgrade done?

doylebob

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 32GB SD card and I was finally able to upgrade to Win10. It activated. Well now, I want to clean install Win10. I d/led the Window 10 tool to USB drive. Booted that. got the menu to choose language and region and such...but the touch screen didn't work, or waiting 3 min isn't long enough. So I'm running the setup.exe from the thumb drive in Win 10 and seeing what that does. Oh, the SD for the upgrade is just temp storage. Keep me posted! I've spent almost 2 weeks fighting this.

doylebob

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Because Dell pre loads with a hidden 9.5GB Recovery Partition that I would like to get back and use for storage. I believe there is also a 250MB Dell hidden partition too. For now I guess I bought a 32GB SD card and will use that. Thx for the reply.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to get rid of that 9.5GB recovery partition without doing a clean install? I believe Windows has a partition management utility.

doylebob

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I am not sure. I went to cmd and ran diskaprt, but the partition is still in use cause the hybersys file is stored there. So I dont know...I worked on this over 9 days and just said the heck with it. I think the only way is you have to get a real ISO of Win10 not the one from the Windows 10 download too. A real ISO like on a dvd and so that gives you the partition menu. After 9 days, I just bought a 32GB SD card and pointed the install to use that and I finally installation I have 17.5GB free out the onboard 32GB. Hope this helps... Oh and Win10 runs pretty snappy too. Have had the FB crash twice on me. But other than it...I ran the updates and updated all the apps too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans