Refurbished Venue 11

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I have found it very helpful so far. I am looking at purchasing a dell venue pro 11 (my first windows tablet)

Currently in Ireland the one I'm looking at is ?370 which has 2GB RAM, 32GB internal storage and Atom processor, Windows 8.1

I've found "manufacturer refurbished" venue 11 on ebay for ?340 (including delivery and import charges) with 4GB RAM and 120GB storage and the i5 or i3 processor, Windows 8.1

Has anybody had experience with "manufacturer refurbished" items especially with the venue 11 or dell products.

Also would there be any issues with an American tablet working in Ireland.

Unfortunately I can't post the link as I have under 10 posts.

Thanks in advance.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Refurbished can mean a variety of things. It can be something as simple as a practically pristine returned product, or something that has seen more repair.

Not specifically those, but refurbished items aren't something I would immediately count out. Especially since this is manufacturer refurbished. It should at least have some warranty to go with it.

There shouldn't be too many issues using the tablet overseas, worst that could happen probably is the need to change some localization settings AFAIK.

I would definitely jump for the refurb, but you're just taking on a bit of extra risk for a device which may not be as new as a new one, but its one that I'd definitely spring for.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought a red Dell V8P a while back and a Surface RT, both of which were manufacturer refurbished, and they were both in perfect condition and worked beautifully. I often look for refurbished devices first on eBay as long as they are refurbished by the original manufacturer. I'd never buy a seller refurbished tablet though, because they usually don't come with any type of warranty, and I have no idea how well a seller can refurb a tablet compared to the OEM.

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks lads, yes it also comes with a one year dell warranty also. Seems like to good of a bargain to miss.

I saw some "shop refurbished" tablets but wouldn't look at them as you say, it could be just a fella chancing their arm with fixing it.

I persume the refurbished ones are anything from minor to major problems or even traded in devices.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks lads, yes it also comes with a one year dell warranty also. Seems like to good of a bargain to miss.

I saw some "shop refurbished" tablets but wouldn't look at them as you say, it could be just a fella chancing their arm with fixing it.

I persume the refurbished ones are anything from minor to major problems or even traded in devices.

There's no way of really knowing why something has been refurbed, but in both of my experiences, the tablets looked absolutely untouched and worked perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another refurb unit if I needed a tablet and had the extra money lying around. :)

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have had a good experience with refurbished tablet as well. Had mine for 5 months now. Seems flawless. Knock on wood ;). All the best

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice lads. I have found them even cheaper from Dell UK outlet, coming in under ?300.

Just need to get it delivered through parcel motel as they do not deliver outside UK.

Happy days

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I got me an i3 version yesterday and I love it. I parted with my Surface Pro and I am glad I made the change. I was a bit concerned at first but after a visit to Dell downloads, where I installed all the latest patches, this thing is just as good as my Surface Pro with better battery, lighter, superior sound quality. Speed wise, I've not noticed any difference. It's a Dell refurb with a 3 year warranty on a Black Friday deal for ?299, so all in all, I couldn't be happier. I've read many complaints about these devices but not about the Atom models. My guess is, people are not updating firmware and drivers from Dell's website. This is a MUST because my screen was very hit and miss straight out of the box. Now, it runs like a dream.

Last edited:

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear. I ordered the i3 with 4GB RAM and 120GB storage with a 1 year warranty from Dell UK. Just waiting for it to arrive now. Cost ?235, including postage cost me about ?320 which I'm really happy with.

Can't wait for it to arrive now!

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Just got an email from parcel motel saying it's ready for collection!!!

The other half is gone to collect it so now I must wait till Santa delivers it!!!

Just checked the Dell euro website, they seem to be all sold out now. Only venue 8 pro's left.

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Got to give it the one over before its wrapped up for christmas, it's like a brand new machine, not a dent or a scratch, set up in a matter of moments.

Can't wait to tuck into it properly at Christmas! Think I'll be happy out with this purchase!

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
So Christmas finally came which means I get to use my venue 11 refurb and I'm delighted with it, great piece of kit.

Delighted now that I picked windows over android, I have had android phones since the galaxy s2 was released and if I had of purchased an android tab it would of been just the same as my phone only bigger. (this is my first windows purchase other then laptops)

I really only use a handful of apps, those of which I use are all available on the windows store which is great. The beauty of full windows 8.1 means I can do so much more then on android, I was streaming football matches yesterday through ace stream which was fantastic, full microsoft office which is brilliant and will come in handy as I'm in college part time, aswell as been able to install blueJ java development.

As for the device I have had no issues so far, sound quality is great aswell as the screen quality l, it's super fast and handles multi tasking with ease. The on screen keyboard is very responsive as well as the touch screen.

The only problem I have now is finding a good cover, I picked up an Ivso slim case on amazon which is a perfect case only for it only fits the Atom model, it almost fits my i3 model, but doesn't fit properly, anyone recommend a good case, ideally one that keeps the tablet looking slim with a magnetic strip or strap to close over the screen.

Also I know a few were looking for purchase the refurbished ones, there back in stock in the Dell Europe outlet store the i5 models are available for ?280 Stirling.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Get on ebay and search 'dell venue 7130 folio case'. That's the one I'm looking at. There is a similar one for the Venue 8 pro so I'm hoping this is the same setup. I already have the dock and it's pure quality. I'm ordering the case now so hopefully I can let you know how it fits as soon as it arrives...... if you can wait that long before buying one yourself :smile:

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Get on ebay and search 'dell venue 7130 folio case'. That's the one I'm looking at. There is a similar one for the Venue 8 pro so I'm hoping this is the same setup. I already have the dock and it's pure quality. I'm ordering the case now so hopefully I can let you know how it fits as soon as it arrives...... if you can wait that long before buying one yourself :smile:

Thank Eren, yes I think I'll most likely get the folio case, the only issue I might have with it is, it seems there's nothing to keep the case closed, magnetic strip or a strap, not a big deal but i do like having something that keeps it closed over.

The Ivso cover I have is perfect, if only the table was 2mm smaller! Let me know how you get on with the folio

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the case turned up, fits like a glove, can be docked with the rear part on (the front is removable and attaches via magnets much like a Surface keyboard). Unfortunately the magnet that holds the flap down onto the screen is extremely weak, but the screen does switch off when the case is closed. They also included an elastic loop on the part protecting the screen, so you can place a stylus. I see this as a dumb move because any pressure in that spot will surely crack the screen, so I will probably cut that off. I wouldn't be confident in the event of a fall........As the plasic case holds the device so well, any shock would surely just transfer to the device itself. Sure it will remain nice and pretty as it's protected from scratches, but I'm still on the lookout for a leather folio type case. Leather has better 'damping' properties. All in all, worth the ?22 I paid for it and I'm reasonably satisfied.

Last edited:

bonjo1983

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, the case turned up, fits like a glove, can be docked with the rear part on (the front is removable and attaches via magnets much like a Surface keyboard). Unfortunately the magnet that holds the flap down onto the screen is extremely weak, but the screen does switch off when the case is closed. They also included an elastic loop on the part protecting the screen, so you can place a stylus. I see this as a dumb move because any pressure in that spot will surely crack the screen, so I will probably cut that off. I wouldn't be confident in the event of a fall........As the plasic case holds the device so well, any shock would surely just transfer to the device itself. Sure it will remain nice and pretty as it's protected from scratches, but I'm still on the lookout for a leather folio type case. Leather has better 'damping' properties. All in all, worth the ?22 I paid for it and I'm reasonably satisfied.

Hi Eren,

Thanks for the info on the cover. I ordered one myself and it's due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to have a case that actually fits. It's a pity as for the 5000 series the selection of covers it's great, unfortunately it is not the case for the 7000 series.

I think I am also going to order a sleeve case for it for protection when travelling, I was looking at the one below...

Should do the job until i find a decent case, hopefully leather.

Belkin Slim Protective Sleeve with Carry Handle and Zipped Storage for Chromebooks, Netbooks and Laptops up to 11 inch - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro