Anyone laid hands on one?

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I love the idea of having a vertical slider with a physical keyboard. Having said that, the photo's I have seen make this phone look gargantuan. How does it feel in your hand, pocket, etcetera when closed? How does it compare to the Focus in size?

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I had one and it is not that bulky.. I guess compared to some of the other WP7 devices it is thicker but it has a very nice keyboard.

In the hand and pocket it feels good and not too big. The build quality seems very nice but the back plate was a bit thin.. Though when you open it up you can see that it is really just a cover to hold the battery in. Other than that the slider felt solid and the keys on the keyboard had a very good feel.

I am currently using an HD7 as I got a replacement for the Engineering Sample that would not read the SIM card. I can't wait to get my Dell back.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I had one and it is not that bulky.. I guess compared to some of the other WP7 devices it is thicker but it has a very nice keyboard.

I am currently using an HD7 as I got a replacement for the Engineering Sample that would not read the SIM card. I can't wait to get my Dell back.

Appreciate the feedback. And I placed an order over the weekend! All thru the order process for a 16Gig model it showed a preliminary shipping date of 17 December.

When I got the order confirmation, it showed December 28! I called Dell this morning, and they confirmed 27 December as the ship date. I cancelled my order - I may revisit it if and/or when they straighten out their supply chain, but for the moment I've got a Focus and I'm going to stick with it. I can't understand a two week disconnect in shipping, which stinks frankly because I think it's a very cool device.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate the feedback. And I placed an order over the weekend! All thru the order process for a 16Gig model it showed a preliminary shipping date of 17 December.

When I got the order confirmation, it showed December 28! I called Dell this morning, and they confirmed 27 December as the ship date. I cancelled my order - I may revisit it if and/or when they straighten out their supply chain, but for the moment I've got a Focus and I'm going to stick with it. I can't understand a two week disconnect in shipping, which stinks frankly because I think it's a very cool device.

I'm thinking that Dell does not have all the bugs fixed yet and they are making sure that this is fixed before they ship any phones "I hope this is the case" becasue it seems that everyone that got one of the pre releases loved the phone except for the but that it had for example, camera quality, sim card issues, and sound quality with headphones plugged into the jack.. if just thoes 3 problems are fixed when they start shippping I think this phone will pass the focus as the most popular WP7 device ...and will be a win win for Microsoft and Dell

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I would certainly like to think that Dell is going to fix all the issues that the early users faced. The first batch are supposed to be delivered to people who ordered online tomorrow if they got overnight shipping. It will be interesting to see if that really happens of if they all get messages today saying that the device is delayed.

The MS stores still seem to not know if or when the DVP units arrive for them. They are still waiting to replace phones purchased by people on November 8th.

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Shipping Delayed...

Looks like the shipping dates did get pushed back for everyone who ordered the DVP...they are now saying it won't be shipped til Jan 5 or 6. (Even though the website still has estimated shipping at 12/30). There are definitely some unhappy people over in the XDA forums. Kind of disappointing, I was looking forward to this phone. Oh well, looks like an HD7 for me!

AndrewakaMJ

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Venue Pro's actually shipping now!

I saw over on xda that a lot of people's phones are being shipped/received...anyone on here receive theirs and have any reviews/feedback/info yet?

GP07

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for some good news from Clove about my order but nothing yet, still waiting till January it seems.

Lionstone

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I saw over on xda that a lot of people's phones are being shipped/received...anyone on here receive theirs and have any reviews/feedback/info yet?

I ordered mine yesterday (Dec 21); opted for the 16GB version with no contract. Estimated ship date was Jan 8th. I was pleasantly surprised to find an e-mail this morning from Dell informing me that FedEx had my phone and would get it to me on the 23rd.

I don't know if they've got the supply chain worked out, or if it's because I live in Texas, or if it's because I used my Dell Preferred account, or if it's a lottery system and I got lucky for a change, or, or, or...

I'm just happy I'll have my hands on it much sooner than I hoped! :)

Last edited:

Lionstone

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I love the idea of having a vertical slider with a physical keyboard. Having said that, the photo's I have seen make this phone look gargantuan. How does it feel in your hand, pocket, etcetera when closed? How does it compare to the Focus in size?

OK, I've been playing with mine all day.

To answer your questions:
The only thing I was really surprised by was the weight. It's got some junk in the trunk. Not enough to be a problem, though. Feels great in my hand, no problems in my pockets, but I also don't wear tight clothes, so YMMV. A met a friend for lunch and he actually commented, "I'm glad they're finally getting some size on these things!"

With the keyboard extended, reaching the top of the screen with my thumb is a stretch, but doable.

Can't compare to the Focus directly, but my brother has an HTC Incredible. The Venue Pro is just a tick larger in every dimension (about 1/8"), but it seems you get a whole lot more screen because of it.

I hope that helps.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, I've been playing with mine all day.

To answer your questions:
The only thing I was really surprised by was the weight. It's got some junk in the trunk. Not enough to be a problem, though. Feels great in my hand, no problems in my pockets, but I also don't wear tight clothes, so YMMV. A met a friend for lunch and he actually commented, "I'm glad they're finally getting some size on these things!"

With the keyboard extended, reaching the top of the screen with my thumb is a stretch, but doable.

Can't compare to the Focus directly, but my brother has an HTC Incredible. The Venue Pro is just a tick larger in every dimension (about 1/8"), but it seems you get a whole lot more screen because of it.

I hope that helps.

You need to tell your brother to dump the incredible and get a windows phone LOL..

Lionstone

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
You need to tell your brother to dump the incredible and get a windows phone LOL..

He was visibly jealous; of all things to be impressed by, he was impressed by the ultra-smooth scrolling. He's big into Xbox Live, too, and watching my Avatar dance around on the phone was a big selling point. I give him about three months before he picks up whatever WP7 device Verizon ends up offering.

So far, I've sold two additional WP7 devices and have a bunch of others really thinking about it, and that's in, what, 5 days of ownership now? And I'm not even trying to evangelize; I'm just letting people play with my new toy when they ask to see it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)