Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. raremage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    My Venue Pro came in on Tuesday and I've had a few days using it, thought I'd do a quick run down of the highs and lows as I see them so far:

    Highs
    Great screen, easily comparable to the Focus or iPhone 4
    Keyboard works great, quick and accurate, easy to use
    The volume button location, while a bit unusual acompared to other phones, works for me.
    Build quality seems to be excellent so far, the fit and finish is oustanding.
    Slider mechanism is especially good (used a torch for a while, no comparison)
    Call quality is excellent, and volume is much better than Focus (which is way too low IMHO)
    Speakerphone quality seems to be excellent
    Nice sound quality on the included headset, though I prefer a mic on one of the wires leading to an earbud rather than centered - too hard to tell ear from ear (R/L) without this as a visual cue
    Battery life much better than focus
    Nice feel in the hand, but feels a bit big when held to the ear. Fine in the pocket, no extra bulky feel (which I was a bit worried about)
    Bluetooth call quality is excellent (need to pair with my BT stereo headset and see how it is for music and podcasts)
    Built in speakers are loud and clear


    Lows
    Power button location - often starting the slider mechanism when trying to hit it, and it's not easy to find. It's a little difficult to press (though the upside is it is not easy to unintentionally press it)
    Photo focus - often seems to blur photos, noticed with Focus too - issue with WP7? The flash is pretty useless, and photo quality in low-light conditions is poor so far.
    Weight - it is a bit hefty. Also a tad thicker than ideal (but I don't consider this to be a big deal)
    Lack of accessories - I want a dock, and a good case!
    Feedback on buttons - I prefer the vibration feedback, which Venue Pro does not offer
    Back button placement - feels "high" - I intuitively press a tad low.
    I'd prefer hardware buttons actually. Notice most
    of the lows are button related?
    A little bleeding of light at screen edges when viewing in a dark location

    Overall
    So far I'm pretty impressed, it seems like a great business device. A little more time will tell of course, but very pleased so far.
    foosball likes this.
  2. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    563 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    raremage,
    a few questions
    first you said you had a focus for a few weeks ...
    if it wasn't for the dell keyboard would you rather keep the focus over the Dell ?

    second, I have been hearing that the dell only has 256 meg of ram do you notice
    any speed differences with launching games or just overall usage from the focuse to the dell..

    Third, I really like the dell and want one but on twitter I have been reading that people are getting lockups freezing and need to reboot the phone ? is this the case with you and your dell ? or do you think its a select few ? I'm hoping its just a few..

    I have had the focus since Nov 8th and have never needed to take the battery out once and the only problem I have ever had was with the maketplace once in a while it would not load and would need to power off and back on... not a big deal at all and it only takes a few seconds ...

    I also have a 16 gig card in mine and still have never had any issues ...
    which I can't beleave how well the OS has been for me...
    I did not expect it to work so well...
  3. GP07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Anyone have more info on the RAM news? Some say it's 256mb? That sorta changes things for me if true, I might end up falling back to a Optimus 7 at this point.
  4. Lionstone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbyhome View Post
    raremage,
    a few questions
    first you said you had a focus for a few weeks ...
    if it wasn't for the dell keyboard would you rather keep the focus over the Dell ?

    second, I have been hearing that the dell only has 256 meg of ram do you notice
    any speed differences with launching games or just overall usage from the focuse to the dell..

    Third, I really like the dell and want one but on twitter I have been reading that people are getting lockups freezing and need to reboot the phone ? is this the case with you and your dell ? or do you think its a select few ? I'm hoping its just a few..

    I have had the focus since Nov 8th and have never needed to take the battery out once and the only problem I have ever had was with the maketplace once in a while it would not load and would need to power off and back on... not a big deal at all and it only takes a few seconds ...

    I also have a 16 gig card in mine and still have never had any issues ...
    which I can't beleave how well the OS has been for me...
    I did not expect it to work so well...
    I'll jump in where I can.

    According to Dell, the VP has 512 MB of RAM. I have no reason to doubt it, since I can say that mine has been really fast, much faster than I expected given all the complaints of long load times on various games and apps. I don't think I've waited more than about 3 seconds for anything to load, and that includes games like Flight Control. I haven't ponied up the 6 or 7 bucks to try any of the famous resource hogs like The Harvest yet. If I do, I'll report back.

    The only lock-ups I've experienced have been with the Marketplace. This seems to be common across all WP7 devices and I hope MS get it addressed soon. When the Marketplace locked up, I did have to pull the battery. With that sole exception, everything else has been so... refined. It's really a joy to use WP7.
  5. GP07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionstone View Post
    I'll jump in where I can.

    According to Dell, the VP has 512 MB of RAM. I have no reason to doubt it, since I can say that mine has been really fast, much faster than I expected given all the complaints of long load times on various games and apps. I don't think I've waited more than about 3 seconds for anything to load, and that includes games like Flight Control. I haven't ponied up the 6 or 7 bucks to try any of the famous resource hogs like The Harvest yet. If I do, I'll report back.

    The only lock-ups I've experienced have been with the Marketplace. This seems to be common across all WP7 devices and I hope MS get it addressed soon. When the Marketplace locked up, I did have to pull the battery. With that sole exception, everything else has been so... refined. It's really a joy to use WP7.
    Does it state 512MB on the box or on any of the documentation that comes with it? It seems the dell website doesn't list anything and some of those hardware apps listed it at 224MB (with the rest being saved for the OS or however that works).
  6. Lionstone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GP07 View Post
    Does it state 512MB on the box or on any of the documentation that comes with it? It seems the dell website doesn't list anything and some of those hardware apps listed it at 224MB (with the rest being saved for the OS or however that works).
    I could swear that it said so on the product page, but it's not there, nor on the box. The sites that list it are all third-party (like phonearena).

    Well, sorry for the bad info. Apparently my memory was muddled about what I read where.
  7. GP07's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Don't worry about it, it seems like it's 256MB though and not 512MB if those resoruce apps are true. Dell doesn't say anything either which is a shame, I might change my order now since 512MB would be better in the end and a bit future proofing as well.
  8. dseiden's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    I think 512MB would be better when multi-taking finally makes it to WP7. Still no word on that or how they will do it. For now 256MB is fine.

    So far between the DVP and the HD7, I can not tell the diference.
  9. Lionstone's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GP07 View Post
    Don't worry about it, it seems like it's 256MB though and not 512MB if those resoruce apps are true. Dell doesn't say anything either which is a shame, I might change my order now since 512MB would be better in the end and a bit future proofing as well.
    FWIW, Dell has confirmed 512 MB of RAM (via both @dellcares and @lionelatdell). No word on why the WP7 API is reporting less, however.
  10. imasculator's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    raremage

    I have been thinking of purchasing a Focus but on the fence since Dell announced the Venue coming out on AT&T. You compare the Focus to the Venue in your review, so are you on AT&T or T-Mobile? How the comparison then?
  11. raremage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by imasculator View Post
    raremage

    I have been thinking of purchasing a Focus but on the fence since Dell announced the Venue coming out on AT&T. You compare the Focus to the Venue in your review, so are you on AT&T or T-Mobile? How the comparison then?
    I switched from AT&T to T-Mo. I've flopped carriers repeatedly over the past few years (they all have advantages/disadvantages IMHO) and your coverage will be greatly dependent on your location. My coverage in Orlando is comparable with either - though I will say I p[layed with a Nexus One around a year ago on T-Mo and I had much worse coverage than with the DVP, so apparently the antenna is better or they have improved coverage.

    For me, switching to T-Mo saves me about $50 per month for basically the same package (OK, on T-Mo it is 1400 minutes, vs unlimited on AT&T. I will never hit 1400 minutes, but will run around 1200 per month). Plus T-Mo is truly unlimited data and texts, while AT&T has switched to metering the data. I was happy to use the Venue Pro as an excuse to switch.
  12. Okiered's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    @raremage, your evaluation of the DVP phone is pretty accurate, although I like the positioning of the Back/Home/Search buttons. I bought the unlocked version from Dell, set up for use on T-Mo, and I couldn't be happier. My work phone is a BB Torch, and it seems like a whole generation behind the WP7 platform.

    I do have one problem, though. The Zune software I downloaded doesn't see my DVP. Any ideas?
  13. gibbyhome's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    563 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Okiered View Post
    @raremage, your evaluation of the DVP phone is pretty accurate, although I like the positioning of the Back/Home/Search buttons. I bought the unlocked version from Dell, set up for use on T-Mo, and I couldn't be happier. My work phone is a BB Torch, and it seems like a whole generation behind the WP7 platform.

    I do have one problem, though. The Zune software I downloaded doesn't see my DVP. Any ideas?
    your dell venue pro should see the zune software
    if not I would call microsoft zune support..they were very helpful for me

Posting Permissions