webOS refugee, venue pro 2?

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
well, after todays news about webOS being put to rest, I've decided on WP7 to take the mantel as my work phone (have an iPhone as my personal phone). I kinda want a dell venue pro, i really like the form factor. However it is a pretty old device now, almost a year, so kinda hesitant to get it now. Have there been any word on a successor to the venue pro from dell? Thanks.

monotok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I just bought a Pre 3 the day before the announcement. I will be selling the phone and I have purchased a brand new Dell Venue Pro on ebay for ?280, there is some for new on amazon.co.uk market place for ?260 brand new!
So its cheaper than the Pre 3 :)
Hope this helps, it also gets the mango update which is important :)

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
well, after todays news about webOS being put to rest, I've decided on WP7 to take the mantel as my work phone (have an iPhone as my personal phone). I kinda want a dell venue pro, i really like the form factor. However it is a pretty old device now, almost a year, so kinda hesitant to get it now. Have there been any word on a successor to the venue pro from dell? Thanks.

A leaked roadmap from February showed a Venue Pro successor that was supposed to be released in July.

There has been no news since, however, and Dell was conspicuously absent from Microsoft's last big media event.

Plus they just cancelled the Streak. I have a feeling that Dell might be exiting the smartphone market altogether. It's a shame. . . their Venue/Venue Pro were pretty nice hardware-wise. It's too bad about all the firmware issues. Plus, Dell's tech support has been absolutely abysmal and dishonest in responding to all the Venue Pro issues.

FWIW, though, the issues with the Venue Pro have been fixed, finally. You can get them unlocked for cheap directly from Dell or on Ebay.

SirataXero

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm also a webOS Refugee, and I would love to get my hands on a Pre 3, or a Venue Pro in the $200 USD price range...

Just waiting on picking up a Venue Pro when the price is right.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It may be an "old" phone, but with WP7 that doesn't seem to matter as much. The Mango update will still be coming to all current WP7 devices. :)

I'm somewhat of a webOS refugee as well. However, I switched to WP7 about a week before HP's recent announcement. I picked up a HTC HD7 off eBay for about $230. Yea, it's not the newest of phones with amazing specs, but everything runs flawlessly.

I'm also a webOS Refugee, and I would love to get my hands on a Pre 3, or a Venue Pro in the $200 USD price range...

Just waiting on picking up a Venue Pro when the price is right.

It's good to see some familiar faces here already. :D

Last edited:

jonesdavide

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I am mainly an Android user but bought a Pixi a couple of months ago to play with webOS. Well I ended up selling the Pixi a couple of weeks ago and bought an HD7 for $180 on craigslist. I have to agree with Garredow, the hardware may be a little dated (mainly the LCD isn't as good as newer HTC's screens) but I'm running Mango 7712 on it and it's very snappy. I wanted to get the Venue Pro originally, but i couldn't find one at the price i wanted.

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
A leaked roadmap from February showed a Venue Pro successor that was supposed to be released in July.

There has been no news since, however, and Dell was conspicuously absent from Microsoft's last big media event.

Plus they just cancelled the Streak. I have a feeling that Dell might be exiting the smartphone market altogether. It's a shame. . . their Venue/Venue Pro were pretty nice hardware-wise. It's too bad about all the firmware issues. Plus, Dell's tech support has been absolutely abysmal and dishonest in responding to all the Venue Pro issues.

FWIW, though, the issues with the Venue Pro have been fixed, finally. You can get them unlocked for cheap directly from Dell or on Ebay.

hmmm.... well lets just say dell indeed exits the smartphone market, what would that mean to the vp? would it be done as far as updates go, or do those come from microsoft? i'm still debating on what to do, i can get a venue pro free on contract strait from dell, just not sure whether to pull the trigger now or wait until the new wave of wp7 devices in a couple weeks/months.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I suspect Dell is trying to figure out if they want to continue in the Smartphone space or not. You could find yourself in a similar situation, with an orphan in your hand.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
hmmm.... well lets just say dell indeed exits the smartphone market, what would that mean to the vp? would it be done as far as updates go, or do those come from microsoft? i'm still debating on what to do, i can get a venue pro free on contract strait from dell, just not sure whether to pull the trigger now or wait until the new wave of wp7 devices in a couple weeks/months.

At this point in the product cycle, I think you'd be much better served to wait and see what arrives in the next few months.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I believe if you have an unlocked device, you get updates straight from Microsoft. If you buy a carrier-locked device, your updates come from the carrier. Anybody know for sure?

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
I believe if you have an unlocked device, you get updates straight from Microsoft. If you buy a carrier-locked device, your updates come from the carrier. Anybody know for sure?

I think it's by carrier. When it came to the Palm Pre 2 (my current phone) the unlocked phones and who ever else carried the device received the update in the beginning of the year. Verizon started rolling it out days before WebOS was dumped.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I would wait. Truthfully, AT&T is the only carrier that seems to have solid signs of W7 coming out. There seems like a lot of questions and not a lot of answers at this point as to who is getting what as far as Mango flavored devices go.

As a side note, there was a rumor of a Samsung, model SGH-i677. This was supposed to be a portrait slider like the DVP. I have not heard much since, but if the form factor is the selling point, it is worth keeping an eye open for. Portrait sliders are my favorite as well. I own the Palm Pre Plus, and I am gonna miss the form factor when I move on. Just doesn't seem overly popular.

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went ahead and did it. Just ordered it today from dell. However I got it unlocked, it was only 269 before taxes with free shipping! Not a bad deal for this type of phone off contract, I figure I will use my upgrade on the next iPhone when that comes out. Also, just by looking at the specs of the new HTC phones, they're almost identical except for the CPU (and I guess the GPU?), but screen resolution, ram, and storage were the same, so I figured at this price, why not? So anything I should know about this handset?

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone yesterday, and I must say I really like it. Everything feels fast and zippy, its borderline big without crossing the line and still comfortable while using as a phone. And the keyboard blows my pre plus out of the water.

2 concerns though, when I close the slider the top is not flush with the bottom, it sits slightly lower than the bottom half. And the other one is that the colors seem off, kinda of yellowish. Is this normal? Also I have heard that there have been problems with either reception, call quality, or wifi. Are these problems rare? Its because I don't have any of those problems, just the screen and slider, but if odds are I get one that has call quaintly or wifi issues I'd rather keep this one. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo