Just got my DVP

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
So I saw that Amazon had the unlocked DVP for 229 bucks, like new, from the Amazon Warehouse...so I jumped and bought it.

There are a few annoying issues with the button placement and lack of haptic feedback for the Back, Home, and Search keys but other than that, I really like the phone.

Now granted I'm still in "honeymoon" mode with my new toy, but so aside from those initial gripes, I really like the phone. The speakers sound good, the look/feel of the device is very slick, and the qwerty is also very springy/responsive.

Overall I think Dell COULD have made the BEST of the 1st Gen WP7 devices if they had:

1. Dropped the qwerty and made it thinner.
2. Made the minimum storage 16GB instead of 8GB.
3. Changed the layout of the volume/power buttons. Volume button should be on the left side, and power button should either be on the right side, or make it a slightly raised bar on the top right side.
4. Given haptic feedback for the 3 hard keys (Back, Home, Search)...I mean who thought that was a good idea?

Things that I do like about the phone:

1. BIG (and beautiful) 4.1 inch AMOLED screen.
2. Slick form factor and design...very professional looking (the rubber accents are a nice touch, as is the chrome along the side).
3. Good loudspeaker and earpiece.
4. Nice springy and responsive qwerty (when I actually use it).
5. Very nicely designed backplate/battery cover. The diamond accents provide a nice grip on the back of the phone. My HTC Arrive and Samsung Focus Flash slip out of my hands all the time because they are so slick on the backside.
6. 5MP camera is much better than the other 1st gen HTC devices (don't know about the OG Focus).

Despite the devices shortcomings, Dell made a good first gen smartphone, but it could have been better. I would venture a guess that it would be 2nd best, behind the Samsung Focus.

What does everyone else think of their DVP? Chime in!

Last edited:

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
I have had my DVP for a while now and I am still in the honeymood phase! It never seems to get old.

The only 2 things I can complain about are:

1. compaired to other devices, whites almost seem to appear to have a bluish tint. I never noticed it until I had my phone open next to a a freinds droid waffle house pancake surprise device. Not really a problem at all...just never thought that the color white would be so difficult to master.

2. I knew from the get go that the camera was bad and at first I didn't think I would mind since I always have my DSLR with me, but I hav ebeen caught in a number of situations when all I wanted to do was take a decent photo with my phone and I could never get it. The camera has to be the weakest point of the phone hands down. How that got passed quality testing I don't know. Maybe went something like this:

Boss: JOHNSON! This camera sucks! EVERYTHING IS BLURRY!
Johnson: No it doesn't sir. Maybe your glasses are dirty.
Boss: Good point. Ok the camera is fine.

I love the keyboard! Not a Blackberry keyboard but it's darn close enough.

One night me and my buddies were at a bar and I whipped out the phone and we started to compair and contrast the can and can not. Thier reaction was almost the same across the board:

"PSSHHH HOLY SMOKES THAT THING I SO FAST!"

Unless they make another WP7 with a portait style keyboard I feel I will have this for a looonnngggg time. Or until my girl breaks up with me and I am forced to leave. That will give me go ahead to get out of the aweful t mobile service I have and go back to verizon. From there I will be honest and will most likely take up my old Palm Pre 2.

ethylove

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
i actually bought the DVP strictly FOR the keyboard. and I love it. I do agree with a different button placement but overall, I'm really happy. Too bad they left the game. a revamped DVP would be my dream.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i actually bought the DVP strictly FOR the keyboard. and I love it. I do agree with a different button placement but overall, I'm really happy. Too bad they left the game. a revamped DVP would be my dream.
I too would love to see a revamped Venue Pro from Dell. I really hope that Dell changes their mind because this has been the best designed Windows Phone I've ever owned.

I would really love to see a qwerty-less option next time. This would be a very slick phone if it was thinner/lighter but built with the same materials...and they redesigned the button layout a bit.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Drop the qwerty?? That and the OS are the main selling points of the phone. Sounds like you folks want a Dell Venue not the Venue Pro.
Yes. Drop the qwerty and put Windows Phone on it. The Dell Venue runs Android. I don't want that. I've suffered through 2 years of Android ****...I don't want any more of that noise.

So yes, if Dell dropped the qwerty, made it thinner and put Windows Phone on it, and a front facing camera, that would be my perfect device.

JustinMSalvato

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Drop the qwerty and put Windows Phone on it. The Dell Venue runs Android. I don't want that. I've suffered through 2 years of Android ****...I don't want any more of that noise.

So yes, if Dell dropped the qwerty, made it thinner and put Windows Phone on it, and a front facing camera, that would be my perfect device.

there are 10 other Windows Phones without qwerty keyboards, get one of those. Honestly, DVP is as great form factor, but the hardware has a good number of bugs.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
What's your deal?

there are 10 other Windows Phones without qwerty keyboards, get one of those. Honestly, DVP is as great form factor, but the hardware has a good number of bugs.

No. The DVP build quality is excellent, the others are not. Why are you even arguing this with me? Can we not have both?

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
So for anyone interested, I just swapped out the 8GB MicroSD card for a 32GB unit. This awesome device just became better!

Hopefully this wasn't a dumb mistake on my part, because I still have almost a full years warranty left on this device.

Has anyone else done the MicroSD card swap on their DVP?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No. The DVP build quality is excellent, the others are not. Why are you even arguing this with me? Can we not have both?
Curious. How do you know the build quality of the other devices is not as good, or better than your DVP. I have has my Surround since 11/8/2010 and use it extensively. Not one hardware problem. Nor did I have any hardware problems with my last 7 HTC devices. Never spent time with a DVP, so I can't (won't) comment on build quality. What I do know though is that since launch, Dell software support for the DVP sucked. And that was good enough reason for me to pass on any consideration. But glad it is working out for you.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Parts used in the device build

Curious. How do you know the build quality of the other devices is not as good, or better than your DVP. I have has my Surround since 11/8/2010 and use it extensively. Not one hardware problem. Nor did I have any hardware problems with my last 7 HTC devices. Never spent time with a DVP, so I can't (won't) comment on build quality. What I do know though is that since launch, Dell software support for the DVP sucked. And that was good enough reason for me to pass on any consideration. But glad it is working out for you.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

If you've held one in your hands, you would see the difference. I've owned several first (and second) generation Windows Phones. The DVP is the best quality, in terms of materials.

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Congrats!

I just got me one of these bobbies today. I got it from Dell new what a great device.

Yeah, I really like it too. After owning several HTC WP7 devices, and a Samsung Focus Flash, I really like the DVP, the best of them all.

Did you get it unlocked or did you do the on-contract deal and get it for 99 cents?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720