Found a perfect silicon keyboard membrane

Gabey8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I own an Eee PC 701 and a Redfly. The more I looked at the keyboards, the more it seemed to me that they were identical in dimensions and format.

I'm pretty adamant about having keyboard protection, since a group for which I'm the secretary tends to have board meetings in restaurants over dinner. On a whim, I ordered an Eee PC 701 silicon keyboard cover for my Redfly.

It's a perfect fit. So, until Celio begins offering keyboard covers among its accessories, HINT HINT ;), anyone who's interested in keeping crumbs, beverages, and other stray matter out of their Redfly keyboard has got a viable solution.

Gabey8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Something like this?
[I can't repost the link because at the moment, I have fewer than 10 posts on the forum]

How easy is it to type through?
-

Yes, the one I got is exactly like that. Make sure it's a keyboard membrane for the US version of the Eee. One of the ebay vendors whose product I looked at made a point of mentioning that the Enter key is shaped differently on the US vs. European versions of the Eee. The US enter key is shaped like a rectangle, like that of the Redfly.

Look around online, because prices and shipping costs vary. And double-check the product image to make sure that it's got the correct shape for the enter key.

I find it very easy to type through. I always make a point of getting keyboard membranes, if they're available for a device I'm using. Anything that keeps unwanted matter out of my keyboards is a good thing. :)

Gabey8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Now I have a question. I know that the new Redfly models C7 and C8N have a slightly different keyboard layout from the original C8 model.

However, is it just the function of the keys that has been tweaked, or has the physical shape of some of the keys changed, as well?

I ask because the answer will affect whether this thread remains true for the newer Redfly models.

So I'll clarify, for now, that this membrane is a perfect match for the C8 version of the Redfly. As soon as someone who is familiar with the C7 and C8N keyboards weighs in, we'll know if an Eee 701-compatible keyboard membrane will fit those devices as well.

meoman

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
any update

any update on the question asking if 7, 8 and 8n keyboard keys are same shape even though some of the function keys have changed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tharika1234