- 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM #1
The Lab is a team within O2 that create proof of concepts to research and develop various ideas before they potentially evolve into full products. One of my current projects involves experimenting with the use of Live Tiles and My O2 allowance data on Windows Phone. I've developed a Beta app that we would like to offer out to O2 customers soon to trial and gather some real customer feedback.
Note that this is a beta app and not an official 'My O2 for Windows Phone' app. It has no guarentees or warranties associated with it for reliability but hope you find it useful and the interest and feedback gathered will feed into the creation of an official app.
If you have a Windows Phone 7 or 8 and would like to be trial the Beta then please register your interest via the sign-up form by clicking on (or cutting and pasting into your favourite browser) the following link:
Beta Registration Form
A few important points to mention...
- You will need the same My O2 credentials you use on the My O2 website or that you may have used in the My O2 apps for iPhone or Android.
- The app may not work for some O2 customers on Business tariffs but if you can sign-in on My O2 and see your allowance information you should be ok.
- This is a closed Beta and there are no guarantees that this app will become a full product.
If you have any questions please reply to this post or you can email them directly to: email@example.com.
For added interest here are some screenshots of the app:
Showing My O2 Account Allowances Screen
Showing Example Live Tiles Screen
Showing Home Screen Tile Shortcuts Screen
- 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM #4
Thank-you both for your comments.
- 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM #6
oo i've been looking for this for ages!, even contacted customer support via web chat about it :). Anyway i've signed up when do you we get the link sent to us??, would love to see this as a full app.
07-01-2013, 03:38 AM #7
- 75 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Sadly I can't join the Beta as I'm a business customer (different portal). Still nice looking app and hopefully something like this will come along for business customers, it something that's desperately needed to manage bandwidth usage.
- 07-01-2013, 04:17 AM #8
[TechFreak1] Aiming to get a download link out this week.
[csd_images] Yes, unfortunately the API reflects the consumer rather than business portal hence the restriction - sorry about that.
Please mention this Beta to any friends who are also O2 Customers and use Windows Phone - NEED MORE TESTERS!...Thanks! :-)
07-01-2013, 05:06 AM #9
- 248 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
sounds really great!
Once question though: I am a o2-customer, but from Germany (o2 Germany), so I guess I will not be able to use your app. Do you have any information about o2 Germany releasing an App like yours?
Thanks in advance and good luck with your project!
- 07-01-2013, 06:09 AM #10
[Gergolos] Unfortunately you are correct in that this is aimed at O2 UK primarily because the API I'm using is against the UK systems. I'm not aware of anything similar from O2 Germany but I'll ask when I get a chance. Apologies for not being clearer at the start about UK focus and getting your hopes up but thanks for the positive post!
- 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM #12
We need more converage on this thread! on that note I sent a message to Daniel Rubino :). Hopefully he reads it as we really need apps, like these especially with the introduction of 4g this year by O2 and Vodaphone.
- 07-02-2013, 03:26 AM #13
[TechFreak1] The WPCentral post has made a big difference in getting the message out and I've much more healthy number of testers now. Real numbers to back up the interest are the aim of this trial. Hoping this will set the scene for future experiments with other O2 apps.
Thanks to all those that have shown their interest so far. Doing some additional smoke tests on the current version and hoping to get a link out this week.
- 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM #14
Hopefully your colleagues in other countries will follow suit and release an app for their native country too.
- 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM #15
I have just downloaded the App and I have quickly gone through the app, I must say it is clean and very easy to use :). I appreciate the small live tile support as most developers just stick the logo on the small tile, to those of use who prefer small tiles for some apps can be a nuisance sometimes..
I know these may be asking for alot however I want this App to be THE App where other operators look to as inspiration:
1) Custom colour for tiles and font via a colour pallette - is that possible?
2) Billing screen - that shows when last bill was taken and amount, when next bill is due and amount? (not sure how that would be fitted on a small tile maybe a variation i.e one tile will show amount and next bill date if reduced to small and on medium with another showing last paid date and amount on medium with a small tile option for those who prefer the flexibility -))
3) Manage Bolt-ons Screen
4) Option to show phone number on tile or not on medium tile - would be nice.
5) Wi fi hotspot location / sign-in - presume that is in progress?
Anyway Keep up the great work!
- 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM #16
1. Yep..a number of suggestions have referred to tile colours, high contrast version for accessibility - all great suggestions and on 'the list' ;-)
2. Billing information would be something to expect from a fully featured 'official' version - I doubt that I'll include it in this experimental version - we'll see.
3. As (2) really.
4. A popular suggestion and likely to be another option on the Tile Creation screen along with colours etc. Some people (me included) like it as we have multiple numbers under the same My O2 account. Knowing which tile refers to which number is useful. Nevertheless I can understand some will not benefit from that and don't want their number in full view.
5. That is in some way a larger separate feature/app. O2 have a separate app called 'O2 Wifi' for other platforms but I can envisage some clever, potentially more integrated ways of exposing this information within a WP device (as a result of the flexibility of the WP platform) without needing to be a separate app potentially - maybe another experiment for The Lab ;-)
Last edited by iangriggs; 07-04-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Got my O2 app names mixed up.
- 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM #19
firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll add the WLID again.
- 07-04-2013, 12:09 PM #20
For those who are wondering the live tile does indeed update every 30 minutes, (I will update this post with a screenshots later) way more helpful than the O2 Mobile website. Also it refreshes if you tap the tile to open the app. I have only have the data tile as have got unlimited minutes and texts so I can't confirm on those.
A quick question I noticed there is an expiration date in the live tiles screen is that when the App will stop working or is that when the auto-login credentials expire?
Have another suggestion, after using the App for a day now would it be possible to add a usage screen (showing calls made, mms sent etc) - for which I presume the same principle about the billing and bolt-on screen would apply?
- 07-05-2013, 05:33 AM #24
I received the link yesterday and downloaded just now. First thing I noticed was it was really smooth. Really happy with that right off the bat.
Looking forward to see when/if the new tile colours come out. I switched back to Nokia blue so it blends a bit better.
On the balance live tile, when I have it pinned, "until" is grey where the other text is white. Is it supposed to be like that?
[Update] The "until" grey text seems to have fixed itself randomly. All text on that tile is whilte now.
Last edited by gedzum; 07-08-2013 at 05:01 AM.
- By chrisday091 in forum Nokia Lumia 620Replies: 4Last Post: 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
- By jwinch2 in forum Windows 8Replies: 9Last Post: 06-28-2013, 05:22 PM
- By WasteSomeTime in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 4Last Post: 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
- By X0LARIUM in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 2Last Post: 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM