What equipment are you using (hardware wise)?

aaronchow

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've decided to switch my upcoming years' focus to learn to code for the Windows Phone platform, and I've already subscribed to various learning channels (such as Safari Books Online, Plural Sight, various blogs, etc.), so I am pretty much covered on the learning side. However, I have a Mac that my wife uses it 24/7, and my ancient PC is too old to run Windows Vista, so I'm planning to get a new PC to accompany me for the upcoming years (Budget is under $1.5K).

Just wondering what hardware equipment are you guys using? I've read some reviews about the Samsung series 9 2012 and really like it, but since Windows 8 is coming out, does it still make sense to this now? Especially when they said the apps can be easily ported to the Windows 8's Metro platform.

Any suggestions / advise is appreciated.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I've decided to switch my upcoming years' focus to learn to code for the Windows Phone platform, and I've already subscribed to various learning channels (such as Safari Books Online, Plural Sight, various blogs, etc.), so I am pretty much covered on the learning side. However, I have a Mac that my wife uses it 24/7, and my ancient PC is too old to run Windows Vista, so I'm planning to get a new PC to accompany me for the upcoming years (Budget is under $1.5K).

Just wondering what hardware equipment are you guys using? I've read some reviews about the Samsung series 9 2012 and really like it, but since Windows 8 is coming out, does it still make sense to this now? Especially when they said the apps can be easily ported to the Windows 8's Metro platform.

Any suggestions / advise is appreciated.
I think if you get any modern PC/laptop you should be fine for running widows 8 when it comes out and I think $1500 is pleanty to get something decent. One thing though if you want to write any games get a decent gfx card, if the card is too cheap it wont be recognised for XNA development. So a Dx10 / 11 capable card is a must so check this especially on laptops. Also get 8Gb memory if you can afford it as it makes a big difference

TheOnlyInvictus

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought the Dell XPS Core i7 (15inch display), and maxed the specs. So 8 Gigs of RAM, full HD screen, USB 3.0 port, HDMI, DLNA, WiDi, latest BlueTooth (3.0 I think), Windows 7 home professional, JBL sound with built in subwoofer, and it all cost ~1500.
I've been using the XPS series for the past 6 years and am really happy with it.
I had an HP Pavilion for a while, and it was good too, but I hate HP for their bloatware.
I would recommend against this new fad of ultra books simply because there's no way I can do proper development on a 13inch screen (which seems to be the standard for ultrabooks). Also, call me paranoid, but I don't trust SSDs :| (this judgement is not based on any scientific reasoning btw hahah).

You can also never go wrong with a Lenovo.

Hope this helps.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
For personal use I have an MacBook Air, work I use a Mac Mini and for other stuff including Windows I have a Dell Hybrid. On the Hybrid I just installed Windows 8 Preview and I gotta say that I do love the new interface, more than I thought I would. It will be a slight learning curve, that being said, I can see where if you are looking forward to Windows 8, not WP8, you may want to wait a bit longer or go with a desktop (don't know of any laptop) that is touch screen. I found myself leaning towards the screen to slide over the panels.

I think once Windows 8 is out the door later this year, I can see where the Win 8 slates will be a thorn on iPads side.

I will agree with Invictus that you can never go wrong w/Lenovo, they make a solid piece of equipment. HP is concentrating on aesthetics a lot and not putting much into their hardware as far as reliability, not from personal experience, but I do have friends that have HPs and they have nothing but problems with their laptops.

If you can hold out a bit longer I think your choices will balloon and we all like choices.

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
For personal use I have an MacBook Air, work I use a Mac Mini and for other stuff including Windows I have a Dell Hybrid. On the Hybrid I just installed Windows 8 Preview and I gotta say that I do love the new interface, more than I thought I would. It will be a slight learning curve, that being said, I can see where if you are looking forward to Windows 8, not WP8, you may want to wait a bit longer or go with a desktop (don't know of any laptop) that is touch screen. I found myself leaning towards the screen to slide over the panels.

I think once Windows 8 is out the door later this year, I can see where the Win 8 slates will be a thorn on iPads side.

I will agree with Invictus that you can never go wrong w/Lenovo, they make a solid piece of equipment. HP is concentrating on aesthetics a lot and not putting much into their hardware as far as reliability, not from personal experience, but I do have friends that have HPs and they have nothing but problems with their laptops.

If you can hold out a bit longer I think your choices will balloon and we all like choices.
I'm using an HP Envy 15 and love it. The high res screen makes a huge difference when working in vs.net and especially Blend. Windows 8 installed and boots from a VHD so I can work on Metro apps as well as WP7.

wildbohr

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
This will sound strange but I use a 13" Macbook Air. I bought it because of form factor. There wasn't anything that I was happy with (screen rez) on the market at the time. I am waiting for Win8 gen laptops before I upgrade next.

cloudes

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This will sound strange but I use a 13" Macbook Air. I bought it because of form factor. There wasn't anything that I was happy with (screen rez) on the market at the time. I am waiting for Win8 gen laptops before I upgrade next.

sounds strange .
g.gif

wildbohr

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I've designed/written two apps on it so far and working on a 3rd now :)

The only real issues I've run into using it are no home and end keys, I use them a lot and the rez is still a little too small for design purposes but that's easy enough to work around but it's a mild irritant.

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I use a Macbook Pro with bootcamp, but I also need it for iOS. However for work apps and personally apps, full blown PC is the way to go in my opinion. More bang for your buck.

I'd also wait for Win8 tablets if you're going that route.

d0wngrade

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Build your own. You'll save money, and have better performance then buying one pre-built.
Newegg and TigerDirect are the best websites in my opinion to buy computer parts from.

I have a Windows Machine with 1TB HDD(x2), 16GB DDR3 Memory, Intel Quad-Core i7 (~3.6GHz per core), ATI Radeon GFx with DirectX 11(x2), and a lot more for only $900. :p

Dirty Mike

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If you want (some) portabliity then I would recommend an asus republic of gamers laptop! I have a g53sw, it is capable of handling pretty much anything you throw at it. There is one newer version than it to. They only run up about $1200 on newegg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99