We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. onedrummer2401's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    So, I managed to jump on the $8 Developer Registration deal last weekend, but was out of town and didn't get to do much with it until today. So, I tried to download the WP& SDK since the WP8 SDK requires Windows 8, and realized that it was telling me I needed visual studio. I looked online, and the only options I saw were to buy the software or use the 30 day trial. I assumed after I paid for the developer registration fee I could start to actually make apps; I didn't realize I'd need to shell out another couple hundred dollars as well. I feel like I wasted the $8, and while it's not a lot of money by any means, I would've rather known that I'd still have to pay even more for visual studio.

    Is this really what Microsoft is doing? Do Apple and Google charge both for the Dev Kit and other software? Do I have to have Visual Studio to make apps? If I have no other option , could i torrent visual studio somewhere? I don't like torrenting, but there's no way I could afford Visual Studio right now, especially when I only got the developer registration to learn how to develop apps. This was going to be more of a hobby, but I can't afford to spend that much money on a hobby.


    Any help/insight/things I should know?

    Thank you guys.
  2. jmshub's Avatar

    Posts
    2,413 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,423 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone 8 is a free download.

    Windows Phone Dev Center

    The first link..the SDK for 8.0. It is free to download, and free to register. Good luck.
  3. onedrummer2401's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmshub View Post
    Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone 8 is a free download.

    Windows Phone Dev Center

    The first link..the SDK for 8.0. It is free to download, and free to register. Good luck.
    The SDK is, but it only runs on Windows 8. I tried downloading the WP7 SDK but it said I needed Visual Studio, which costs money or is only a 30 day trial.
  4. ImmortalWarrior's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    523 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Visual Studio is a one time 400 dollar license. It is THE Microsoft development platform and by far the best SDK.

    Visual Studio 2012 express is required for WP8 development and Visual Studio 2010 Express will give you what you need for WP7 development.

    Are you telling me you weren't aware of the cost? I also take it to mean you aren't a software developer of any kind or you would at least know about visual studio. With no prior programming knowledge you won't just pick up C# and be coding away in VS in a few days. It'll take a bit if time.
  5. mparker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    352 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by onedrummer2401 View Post
    The SDK is, but it only runs on Windows 8. I tried downloading the WP7 SDK but it said I needed Visual Studio, which costs money or is only a 30 day trial.
    So upgrade to Windows 8. It's pretty cheap and easy too.
  6. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,777 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    The initial trial is 30 days but i think they still extend it to 90 days if your registered. Im holding off for the time being laying out money for it and will just use express. As its already been mentioned you need a bit of programming knowledge so im currently wading through two rather large books on visual basic programming and html5 both are almost 1000 pages so its going to be a while before I lay out the 500 for visual studio
  7. wenogg's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    The initial trial is 30 days but i think they still extend it to 90 days if your registered. Im holding off for the time being laying out money for it and will just use express. As its already been mentioned you need a bit of programming knowledge so im currently wading through two rather large books on visual basic programming and html5 both are almost 1000 pages so its going to be a while before I lay out the 500 for visual studio
    So download Visual Studio 2010 Express and use the WP7 SDK. You can't target WP8 but you won't need to install Windows 8 to run it.
  8. onedrummer2401's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mparker View Post
    So upgrade to Windows 8. It's pretty cheap and easy too.
    Not my personal computer to update.
  9. onedrummer2401's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wenogg View Post
    So download Visual Studio 2010 Express and use the WP7 SDK. You can't target WP8 but you won't need to install Windows 8 to run it.
    Yes but express lasts only 30 days. With my previous experience in app making(none) I'd need a lot more time. I wanted to get into this to start getting familiar with something other than Java for my classes I'll be taking next year and make some basic apps before actually working on one that I might publish. With my schedule hectic enough already, 30 days is practically nothing.

    While I'm on the subject of the developer's software, can I sideload apps now? I'd be interested in seeing what the homebrew community has, but considering how up until now I really had no easy way to I'd never looked up how to dev unlock my 900.
  10. onedrummer2401's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    The initial trial is 30 days but i think they still extend it to 90 days if your registered. Im holding off for the time being laying out money for it and will just use express. As its already been mentioned you need a bit of programming knowledge so im currently wading through two rather large books on visual basic programming and html5 both are almost 1000 pages so its going to be a while before I lay out the 500 for visual studio
    Well the only registration I've managed to find is product registration. But still, I'm in roughly the same boat. I knew I could find basic tutorials to start out with online, and could get books once I started getting the hang of the basics, but I didn't realize I'd need $400 to take this up as a hobby.
  11. ImmortalWarrior's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    523 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by onedrummer2401 View Post
    Yes but express lasts only 30 days. With my previous experience in app making(none) I'd need a lot more time. I wanted to get into this to start getting familiar with something other than Java for my classes I'll be taking next year and make some basic apps before actually working on one that I might publish. With my schedule hectic enough already, 30 days is practically nothing.

    While I'm on the subject of the developer's software, can I sideload apps now? I'd be interested in seeing what the homebrew community has, but considering how up until now I really had no easy way to I'd never looked up how to dev unlock my 900.

    To my recollection express is an indefinite license. I've had Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 and 2008 installed as well has VS Express C# 2010 and they've never expired.

    What you cannot do with the express license is make software and sell it it use it commercially. WP apps are different because you pay for an independent license, so those you can sell.

    Also, to those of you aspiring to make apps with no prior object oriented programming experience, I suggest you start with desktop applications. Learning to run the emulators and how to deploy can be a pain. I spent over 6 years in post secondary school learning C# and other languages and it's not a small task. Purchase a beginners C# book and start there.
  12. theomodsim's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by onedrummer2401 View Post
    Yes but express lasts only 30 days. With my previous experience in app making(none) I'd need a lot more time. I wanted to get into this to start getting familiar with something other than Java for my classes I'll be taking next year and make some basic apps before actually working on one that I might publish. With my schedule hectic enough already, 30 days is practically nothing.

    While I'm on the subject of the developer's software, can I sideload apps now? I'd be interested in seeing what the homebrew community has, but considering how up until now I really had no easy way to I'd never looked up how to dev unlock my 900.
    You have to register your copy of Visual Studio Express within 30 days after installation, but registering is free.
  13. futurix's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    WP7 SDK includes free Visual Studio 2010 Express, WP8 SDK includes free Visual Studio 2012 Express. Both can be used indefinitely, and can be used to develop commercial apps.
  14. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    [EDIT] I was wrong [/EDIT]
    Last edited by Nataku4ca; 11-10-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Delete uninformed comment
  15. mckhendry's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Windows 8 is required for Windows Phone 8 development. This is because Windows Phone 8 is based on a shared core with Windows 8. You can read it for yourself here (scroll down for system requirements).

    Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone | Microsoft Visual Studio
  16. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mckhendry View Post
    Windows 8 is required for Windows Phone 8 development. This is because Windows Phone 8 is based on a shared core with Windows 8. You can read it for yourself here (scroll down for system requirements).

    Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone | Microsoft Visual Studio
    I knew I should have checked before saying anything thanks for the clarification
    Last edited by Nataku4ca; 11-10-2012 at 02:59 AM. Reason: trying to sound sry

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

";