Unsideload an app / XAP to decompile it?

Alun Jones

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lack of backups and a tight schedule combined to cause me some pain that I hope you guys can help me with.
My laptop's hard drive crashed the other day, and although I've been able to get back much of my development work with a combination of version control and decompiling, I haven't had any success with my Windows Phone 7 apps.
The reason is quite simple - the only copy of these apps is on my phone. I can't decompile them without first downloading them - unsideloading, if you like - from my phone to my PC.
Trouble is, although I can find any number of PC-based apps that allow me to explore the Isolated Storage associated with these apps, I can't actually fetch the app itself.
Maybe I'm not reading / interpreting the instructions correctly - if so, can someone correct me?
Otherwise, is there any way that I can fetch these XAPs off my phone and decompile them?
Note that I'm absolutely only asking to fetch MY XAPs that I've previously written and side-loaded to my phone. No Marketplace hacking or piracy asked for or wanted.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
You can't decompile paid apps. I believe MS is now encrypting all apps in the marketplace so unless it's old you're SOL. It really sucks that your version control is on your laptop when github/bitbucket gives out free accounts.

Alun Jones

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
<sigh/>I tried to make it VERY clear that I don't want to decompile paid apps. I want to decompile an app that I wrote, so I don't have to redo the work I put into it. I just want to fetch MY app off MY phone and decompile it to get MY source code back.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
<sigh/>I tried to make it VERY clear that I don't want to decompile paid apps. I want to decompile an app that I wrote, so I don't have to redo the work I put into it. I just want to fetch MY app off MY phone and decompile it to get MY source code back.
Have you tried contacting Microsoft?

Hopefully someone here has the answer you need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes