Considering Developing

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey, so I'm considering starting developing apps. I see so many apps in the store, and I have so many ideas to do them better. Now obviously, sending an email to the developer won't do anything, so I was considering taking it into my own hands. Now what would it take for me to start writing apps? Is it difficult? Do I need Photoshop and what not? Roughly how much would it cost for the tools (I don't believe in piracy)? If anyone has any tips on someone trying to get into the developer game, please let me know! I plan on making free apps, I work selling phones, including wp7/8 devices. I just want to see the OS succeed, that's my main motivation. The apps I would create would be free, and run no ads (as long as it doesn't cost me too much to write them) but please let me know, thanks!!

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The tools you'll need are free. Visual Studio Express comes with the Windows Phone SDK, available directly from Microsoft here: Windows Phone Dev Center

Since the emulator uses Hyper-V for virtualization, you'll need Windows 8.

Other than that, you'll need lots of time & dedication - it can get considerably frustrating at times, particularly if you've never developed software before - but rest assured, it does get easier.

A few things that (may) help you get started:
  • Download the SDK
  • Download some sample apps & walkthroughs - MSDN has a ton of these, all geared towards helping people get their feet wet in writing software.
  • Modify their sample apps - don't go full bore & try to create one from scratch.
  • Read, read, read. The MSDN Social (forums) and the WP developer blogs on MSDN have lots of great content. Subscribe to their feeds. There are some wp dev subreddits that usually have some interesting tidbits.
  • Take a break once in a while.

StackOverflow is a good resource as well - search there and your question has probably already been answered.
Google is your friend. Apply liberally. Hope this helps.

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
One more thing - the Head First series of books are awesome. Cheap too. Informal, lots of examples and useful regardless of your level. Here's Head First c#: https://www.amazon.com/dp/144938034...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1828092

Also, once you get in some, you may want to splurge and try ReSharper. It's a Visual Studio plugin that helps you write better code. I've learned a ton from ReSharper. It can be a bit pricey, but if you decide this is for you, it is invaluable. you can find it at jetbrains.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss