So how do "big name" developers release updates within a couple days?

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong but I couldn't figure out a way to do this, but I've noticed apps like Whatsapp, Skype, Reader and a few other big name apps seem to be able to push an update and then the same day or the next push out another. I'm wondering/assuming it's because they are cosy with (or are) MS so they get priority service and there's no way for us little common developers to push another update if an update is currently in the certification process.

To make myself a little clearer, I've put out an update for an app, found a bug in the mean time, can't cancel the update cause MS don't allow it, have to wait for the certification to complete, delete that submission and submit another update. Currently its been taking about 5 days to get an update certified so there's just no chance I could push out updates within a day of each other. I'm not sure if this is a question or a whinge but if someone can shed more light on the matter or would like to join in on the whinge go right ahead.

** heading of this thread should be - So how DO "big name" developers release updates within a couple days?
+ Reply to Thread

theomodsim

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
re: So how do "big name" developers release updates within a couple days?

A few months back I accidentally introduced a bug into one of my app updates and didn't catch it until a few hours after submitting the update. I submitted a support ticket to Microsoft explaining the situation and within 24 hours they cancelled the update so I didn't have to wait for the bogus update to complete certification before submitting another update.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've done that before with one my apps. They said at the time they would do it if they hadn't started testing and this bug I found a couple days after I submitted it and if I consider the 24 hours turn around I'd be pretty sure they have started testing.

Back to the issue of multiple updates I just noticed that Top Task List had an update a couple days ago and they've just released another update today! I was doing some searching and found there is a premier support package available so I wonder if that's what's allowing some dev's to push updates quicker.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A few months back I accidentally introduced a bug into one of my app updates and didn't catch it until a few hours after submitting the update. I submitted a support ticket to Microsoft explaining the situation and within 24 hours they cancelled the update so I didn't have to wait for the bogus update to complete certification before submitting another update.

Theomodism, I submitted a link to this thread to the Windows Developer Show, as your post demonstrates a workaround for the problem, as the same problem was posed to them in a feedback email last week. Putting in a ticket isn't the ideal solution - a Cancel Submission button would be ideal. Thanks for the tip, though - I've been in those shoes myself, and waited it out.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Even Nokia has to go through the normal submission process for most stuff and an app takes a few days to get through and may fail for all the reasons normal devs have.
Do some companies have a 'special relationship'? Yes. But even those have to follow the rules. High profile apps may get a quicker turn around if its in MS interests to do so but this is the exception. Some apps like Skype though are very high profile and also owned by MS so there will be channels to get these fixed quick if needed.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I can see why they don't have a Cancel Submission because I'd assume too many devs will submit apps without testing properly knowing they can cancel the submission if they find a bug after submitting it, and should a tester have started testing it would waste their time. But I have read other posts about this and some have suggested allowing to cancel the submission in the signing stage which takes a few hours as that would help a little. A couple times I've submitted an update and then straight away realise there's a bug I wished I noticed 5 minutes ago :) We should push for something like this.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This makes sense. I think a good compromise would be that as soon as it goes to the human testing phase, the cancel button disappears. Up to that point you're using CPU cycles, but not wasting anyone's time.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for putting up with all Microsoft's bull crap. Keep making those great apps. Microsoft will hopefully make it easier for the little guys in the near future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12