WP8 Devs - where are they ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My point was more to do with Eclipse being completely accessible. WP8 SDK is not, and as such, not only do you have to invest in a handset to test with, but at the very least an OS upgrade (which has now gone up to ?200) or a new machine all together. This is before the developer account charge.

If they'd had make it work on Win7 I think we'd have a lot more apps by now.

Also, I completely agree with apps being vetted before appearing in the App Store (as long as it's not acting like a dictator, as Apple has sometimes). This is the main reason Google Play is full of crap and malware, lack of approval.

It is not about the number of the apps but about their quality. The ones capable to create quality apps can afford a license of windows 8 to create and test their app creation in the emulator and later to use beta testing or to test himself on real devices.

The smartphone app gold rush is over so there will most likely never be an app made by a individual with no big backup behind him to wow the world and become a hit. All people care are 1st party apps the one that came with other services Pandora(streaming service), Facebook(social network service), Instagram(social service again), Wells Fargo(banking services), etc. The idea is no one cares for a Pandora replacement no matter how good it is or another facebook app. By now someone could have made a complete instagram clone(still accessing Instagram services for upload) if people would care for using 3rd party apps.

The smartphone has become industry and is not about individuals anymore so you are more likely to get a job doing this than becoming successful as an individual. So no places for individual devs to hang around. You have msdn for api documentation you have stackoverflow.com for specific questions so you have places were you can get specific answers to specific questions. But no place to hang out. Start your development and then when you hit roadblocks you can ask even here or the best place remains stackoverflow.com

Shoulders

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
ChMar, I still think individuals can create very good and profitable apps without a megacorp funding it.

I'm thinking of programming students as an example, who don't have a pot to piss in, but may have a good idea and the c#/html5 skills, but have a Win7 machine.

These are the people that have been shut out by MS lack of backwards compatibility for the SDK.

By the way I think Eclipse is a horrible IDE compared to Visual Studio and Xcode (I use all three), but as I've said before, it's accessible to all, not just the well off.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
ChMar, I still think individuals can create very good and profitable apps without a megacorp funding it.

I'm thinking of programming students as an example, who don't have a pot to piss in, but may have a good idea and the c#/html5 skills, but have a Win7 machine.

These are the people that have been shut out by MS lack of backwards compatibility for the SDK.

By the way I think Eclipse is a horrible IDE compared to Visual Studio and Xcode (I use all three), but as I've said before, it's accessible to all, not just the well off.

Erm, as far as I know students can get Windows 8 for free. I know I got Windows 7 for free (and legally). Then again, that might be limited to eligible IT students. Even then, you can get an upgrade for like ?45 on Software4Students for example. It's not as big an issue as people make out. The only issue is with testing. And for that... I'll bet there are people willing to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs